X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nine Types of Drinker

Name/ Characteristics/ Key motivations

Depressed drinker/ Life in a state of crisis eg recently bereaved, divorced or in financial crisis/ Alcohol is a comforter and a form of self-medication used to help them cope

De-stress drinker/ Pressurised job or stressful home life leads to feelings of being out of control and burdened with responsibility/ Alcohol is used to relax, unwind and calm down and to gain a sense of control when switching between work and personal life. Partners often support or reinforce behaviour by preparing drinks for them

Re-bonding drinker/ Relevant to those with a very busy social calendar/ Alcohol is the ‘shared connector' that unifies and gets them on the same level. They often forget the time and the amount they are consuming

Conformist drinker/ Traditional guys who believe that going to the pub every night is ‘what men do' Justify it as ‘me time'./ The pub is their second home and they feel a strong sense of belonging and acceptance within this environment

Community drinker/ Drink in fairly large social friendship groups The sense of community forged through the pub-group./ Drinking provides a sense of safety and security and gives their lives meaning. It also acts a social network

Boredom drinker/ Typically single mums or recent divorcees with restricted social life Drinking is company, making up for an absence of people./ Drinking marks the end of the day, perhaps following the completion of chores

Macho drinker/ Often feeling under-valued, disempowered and frustrated in important areas of their life Have actively cultivated a strong ‘alpha male' that revolves around their drinking ‘prowess'./ Drinking is driven by a constant need to assert their masculinity and status to themselves and others

Hedonistic drinker/ Single, divorced and/or with grown up children Drinking excessively is a way of visibly expressing their independence, freedom and ‘youthfulness' to themselves./ Alcohol used to release inhibitions

Border dependents/ Men who effectively live in the pub which, for them, is very much a home from home/ A combination of motives, including boredom, the need to conform, and a general sense of malaise in their lives

This was taken from a recent article on the BBC News Health pages.

BBC NEWS | Health | Drinkers fall into 'nine groups'

I've probably been more than 3 of these types of drinker at some point in my life. I also think you could be a combination of these too. So what category would you put yourself in or combination at present or recently before you decided to quit/moderate? Answers on a postcard to.....

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Thanks Hip
    I was definitely always the "de-stress" drinker, self medicating anxiety. I turned into the Hedonistic drinker after my divorce, and yes, kids grew up. The more I drank, the more isolative I became, and turned into the Boredom drinker. Very interesting to see the progression.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I would say a mixture of depressed, de stress and boredom drinker, with all the rest thrown in from time to time depending on my mood or what day it is.
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

I was always the de-stress type, and turned into the depressed type as well.

But I think this list leaves out one important type: The social anxiety type... drinks to relieve problems with dealing with social situations, to remove extreme shyness and inability to enjoy oneself socially.

This is definitely me... I mean that's where it all started, anyway.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I have to admit I have more often than not been the Hedonistic drinker.

Drinking excessively is a way of visibly expressing their independence, freedom and ‘youthfulness' to themselves. Told you all when I came here I was experiencing a mid-life crisis! I know I was only 37 but I ain't gonna live that long anyway!!! Premonitions n all that jazz. I'm gonna die in a car accident or rather be hit my a moving vehicle. Knowing me I'll probably end up jumping in front of a train just to prove my point!!! "That'lll teach 'em!" "Those disbelievers!"
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I am the addicted drinker.

The one who is so totally addicted that drinking is the only way to get through the day, morning/evening/...

Sad they don't have that one listed.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Promise not to drive drunk when I visit Liverpool Hip, so I won't hit ya.lol. Man I could just see me driving there on the opposite side of how we drive in America. That would really F me up.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Cinders;413874 wrote: I am the addicted drinker.

The one who is so totally addicted that drinking is the only way to get through the day, morning/evening/...

Sad they don't have that one listed.

Love,
                Cindi
                Ah but what is behind the addiction in the first place Cindi? I guess maybe they should have the genetic drinker!! But still even genetically we can choose not engage in drinking knowing it to be the case. We have choices don't we? Something must of started the ball rolling? Stress, depression, hedonism etc.

Love and Happiness
                Hippie
                xx

Comment

Cindi, I think the addicted drinker is a shoot-off of others. Most of us will end up there eventually if we don't do something... I sure did in the last few years.

But you didn't start out as an addicted drinker, did you? I'm pretty sure you were the de-stress type (am I right?).
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I guess we're getting into the realms now though of the depression/alcoholic debate though aren't we? Chicken and Egg syndrome that's been discussed a few times on the forum in the past!

Comment

I am the following:

De-stress drinker/ Pressurised job or stressful home life leads to feelings of being out of control and burdened with responsibility/ Alcohol is used to relax, unwind and calm down and to gain a sense of control when switching between work and personal life. Partners often support or reinforce behaviour by preparing drinks for them.

Although the 'boredom' one comes into it as well.
                      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Interesting Hippie

I was the de-stress drinker.
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Started as a Community Drinker, with heavy binges in between. After marriage became De-stress with hubby, then Boredom with young babies and never seeing hubby due to starting our own business. Now fighting for sobriety - when I slip it is usually a De-stress trigger.

I agree with Beatle - Social shyness and for me personally releasing inhibitions is /was a large factor too.

Take care
                          xxx
                          The mind is in its own place, and in itself
                          Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

John Milton

Comment

Depressed, de-stressed, rebonding here. Whatever you call the reason for the problem, it's a problem.
                            sigpic
                            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Well hey I'd have taken any excuse to drink...but I think I'm the boredom drinker/drepressed drinker...and definitely agree with Beatle - it was no fun going out without drinking...it made me more outgoing, wittier, better looking (in my own head)...hmm, actually I'm going back to the 'you know you're an aloholic when...' thread just to remind myself again!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X