bruises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bruises

Does anyone else here bruise super easily and then have to wait weeks for them to go away? I mean, I have an eating disorder, so I'm sure that contributes to it, but I have huge bruises on my legs and one on my arm. Sometimes I know why I got them, other times I don't. Is it normal for alcoholics/alcohol abusers to bruise more easily than someone whitout a drinking problem? I feel so ugly and refuse to wear shorts! Even if it's 90 degrees outside! Chelle12 told me she has the same problem, but she also has an eating disorder (she's mentioned it on here so I'm not "outing" her). Help!
    It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.

bruises

I bruise easily too, and they always look horrible and stay forever. Dr Hips.....
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

bruises

Big time bruiser here too. I did attribute it to Alcohol as it thins the blood and decreases your blood's ability to clot, hence you bleed into the skin, but my daughter has the same problem and is not much of a drinker, so I am a bit baffled. Let me see what I can find out for u. I am very curious now.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

bruises

I'm trying to reseach it now on google..

Comment

bruises

One site said liver disease is a cause, but I was just in the er yesterday and had my liver checked. My enzymnes are slightly higher than they should be, but the doctor didn't seem that concerned and I definaterly don't have cirrosis...

Comment

bruises

Found some info that makes perfect sense. Bruising easily is also noted in liver disease and deficiency in B vitamins and folic acid, which is common to us alkies. Also runs in families which may explain my daughter's bruising problem. Thank u Rach for prompting me to check it out.

Comment

bruises

Hi,
              I am one giant bruise interspersed with bits of clear skin..my bruises are legendary, my kids keep asking to look at them. Sometimes I know how I get them, other times they appear magically. My husband worries that he is going to be arrested for abusing me.
              And I thought it was just me! - however, as Seacailin mentioned, I have a sister who barely drinks at all and she bruises even worse than me so I attributed it to my genes and not the booze. It an interesting question. Are there any creams/vitamins etc. that could help?

:h
              Bandit
              There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

bruises

Thank you Seacailin - just cross posted and noted your comment about folic and vitamin deficiency. I think it is also right about running in families and I know I was the same when I was younger well before I ever started drinking.
                Thanks for the information
                Bandit
                There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

bruises

found this:
                  Alcohol-induced pseudo-Cushing syndrome: The excessive consumption of alcohol can result in symptoms similar to a condition called Cushing's syndrome. When alcohol consumption is stopped, symptoms regress. More detailed information about the symptoms, causes, and treatments of Alcohol-induced pseudo-Cushing syndrome is available below.

symptoms:
                  Tiredness
                  Weight
                  Alcohol abuse
                  Weight gain
                  Insomnia
                  Confusion
                  Depression
                  Hallucinations
                  Dementia
                  Moon face
                  Truncal obesity
                  Muscle weakness
                  Muscle wasting
                  Easy bruising
                  Abdominal stretch marks
                  Increased skin pigmentation
                  Vertebral collapse
                  Hypertension
                  Diabetes mellitus
                  Enlarged liver
                  Dupuytren contractures
                  Swollen parotid glands
                  Peripheral neuropathy
                  Impaired liver function
                  Abnormal blood transminase level

Comment

bruises

Rachelita,

Holy moly - I can put a tick beside a few on that list - not sure about the moon face, what's a moon face when its at home - so glad that I am back in the AF saddle today, what have I being doing to my poor body.
                    Thanks again for the information, frightening though it is.
                    Bandit

Comment

bruises

Moon face is facial edema or an accumlation of fluid in the face. I had it to a degree. Everyone remarked on how my face thinned out when I stopped drinking.

Comment

bruises

I too can check a box by more than a few on the list! Why oh Why did I ever have that first beer? That's what i started on, then harder stuff. In highschool, ignornant as I was, i once bough a six pack of dr. Pepper and a bottle of Rum 151 ( I didn't know how much 151 meant at the time). I emptied out half the soda and filled the rest of the bottle with the rum. Stupidest idea I ever had, til that time anyway

Right now I've got insomnia pretty badly, although I was able to sleep last night thanks to a sleeping pill. But depression is another biggie for me. Actually, it has been even before AL. Muscle fatigue, and BRUSING damnit!

I don't know what moon face is. Anyone?

Comment

bruises

oh, thanks Sea. I have it worse though due to bulimia when my glands swell up and I look like a chipmunk!

Comment

bruises

Hi,

I know I have always bruised very easily and was told it was low K factor. K factor is a clotting factor. One of my daughters has it too.
                            Happy to be AF Since 9.13.08

Comment

bruises

Yep, thin and bruise easily. No eating disorder. But, bruised alot more when I drank. Just clumsey, bumping and banging into things. 10 stitches in my face, broke my toe. You name it, I did it. Humiliating! :no: Glad that's over!
                              "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X