Can Never Think You're Cured....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, yesterday proved to me that no matter the length or the strength of your sobriety, you can always going to run into temptation. Yesterday turned out to be a really busy day.... I remember it like it was, well, yesterday - but I digress....

Started the morning out by cutting out and then re-taping an overhead drywall seam in the kitchen. Lots of reaching above my head, lots of dust, and since I stink at drywall mudding lots of extra work. Next, moved onto the garage. We had some water damage in the decorative molding above the exterior of our garage so I took out the damaged part and spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon cutting, nailing and priming wood to repair the damage. So more reaching above my head, lots of dust and this time lots of sun as well.

Oh yeah, and we are having friends over for a cookout at 4pm, so I need to run to the store to buy refreshments for everyone. It all started innocently enough... put away all the tools and hop in the car to head to the store. Wife says to grab something seasonal from the liquor store for them (and her) to drink. I can honestly say this does not present a challenge for me anymore - I have gone there multiple times before - but this time turned out to be a little different.

As I am driving there, I am thinking about how hot, tired, and dusty I am and suddenly the thought popped into my head, "a nice microbrew would tasted really, really nice after today...." I get to the store and pick up some Mike's Hard Lemonade and Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and head back home - and the thought is still in my head.. "You worked really hard today - you deserve one; think how good it would taste. Today is last day of summer, a fall beer is a perfect way to celebrate it."

I can honestly say that in 15+ months of sobriety, that was the strongest craving that I have had. I honestly remember telling myself that "feeling like you deserve one is probably the dumbest thought you could have." Don't know if I believed it or not, but I knew what the outcome would be if I followed through. So, stopped for a minute and said my serenity prayer, then talked to my wife right away when I got home.

Thankfully, the desires went away. I think that by acknowledging and addressing them, instead of trying to bury or supress them, I was able to take away my disease's power. I realized that I am not perfect (and never will be) and that it is okay to have these thoughts. I can't control them popping into my head, but I can control how I react and deal with them.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and I am grateful to be sober this morning.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Been there, AA. Glad you were able to resist. All it takes is one drink to open the floodgates. You've been sorely tested if you have to buy AL for others.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Wow, AAthlete.. you're an inspiration

Yep, temptation certainly does lurk around every corner, but congratulations and mucho respect for what you've achieved
      ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

AA -- thanks for sharing how you dealt with that massive urge! I will have to stop and remine myself of that when those feelings come to me ... and they happen all the time. Sometimes I fight them off and then other times I'm not successful. What great inspiration. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that AA. It is amazing how stubborn those old triggers are, huh? I still have trouble talking myself out of those at times--but I think I'm getting better. With me it seems like certain people, rather than situations are my triggers.
          It was suggested Saturday night we host a Husker FB party for the Missouri game. I agreed, one of the guys has also quit drinking, so we can help each other. I just need to remember to eat and have other stuff to drink, and I'll be ok. If not at least I can lock myself away in the bedroom!!!!:H
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Wonderful post, AAthlete, a great illustration of how it works, and how we can deal with it, when we are caught up in urges/impulses. As you said:
            it is okay to have these thoughts. I can't control them popping into my head, but I can control how I react and deal with them.
            In retrospect, I suppose it is clear that you were tired, frustrated, and probably hungry, when you went to the liquor store, and all that contributed to getting hijacked by sudden urges. Even so, we just don't always recognize that we are getting into a situation that is likely to be a bit dicey. The key thing is that even if we DO get hijacked by our own minds, it is also our own minds that can keep us safe.

thanks for posting this!

wip

Comment

I know how that feels.As I read your post,it occurred to me that I had learned a skill to cope with powerful negative thoughts many years ago,when I studied Silva Mind Control.Jose Silva thought that when you catch yourself thinking things that are BAD for you, TO STOP...SAY CANCEL CANCEL and then replace that thought with the most positive thought you can imagine.Thanks for reminding me of a powerful tool that I had forgotten.
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

AA, you are a true inspiration! Taking pause, and time to think, rather than react... Keys to success. I spent saturday with 4 other lady friends on an outing to a quaint area of our state nearby. Applefest. Part of our trip was a stop at the winery in the area. It was so lovely watching everyone sample the different types of wine. I had no urge, physically, to partake, but felt a little left out socially. One thing I noticed was that the smell (bouquet) in the winery was very offensive to me. It never was when I was drinking. These are all new observations, as I proceed toward the completion of my 6th alcohol free month. I am still in the infancy of my sobriety.
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Truly wonderful post. Thank you for sharing!:h
                  You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Hi AA
                    One of my biggest triggers rewarding my self for a hard day's work.
                    I EARNED IT I DESERVE IT .Any way great for stopping and thinking yourself through it and working your plan.
                    Also know you are into the physical workout.Don't know about you and rewarding yourself but man if i did a hard workout running or biking i justified my drinking even more how stupid .

Stay Healthy and keep Fighting
                    {4 months af}
                    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Thank you for this post, AA. It has given me a different way of looking at things and I feel it will make me stronger as a result. Instead of repressing the thoughts until they explode and take over, I will try to recognize them when they poke through and deal with them before they conquer my will.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I am so impressed by this post. I do the same damn deserving talk. We are remodeling right now, so I can soooo relate. Worked hard. Cut and removed lots of concrete. Poured and floated lots of concrete. Cut and nailed in place lots of 2x4s. Whatever it is I worked hard and I deserve the "break" at the end of the day. Long mtn bike ride, I deserve the micro-brew after the ride. Long trail run with big hills, I deserve the micro-brew - and the nachos!. But that is only the start of it. Because we all know that it never is just one micro-brew. I can cut myself off after I have eaten enough nachos, but keep those beers coming....

So good for you - your control over the micro-brew monster is a true sign of super-human strength!!!!!

Comment

Thanks AA
                          -Sheep

Comment

Oh AA,yes I have been there. I SO hope I handle it like you when I go there again. Thank you for posting, it is a great reminder.
                            And WELL DONE for being strong. Admirable.
                            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

thank you for sharing i have been there and done that too many times .. and its great when you know what you want out of life at that point..stay strong and think positive .. great job
                              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Working...
                              X