Need advice with supplements, they are making me ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking the topa and all of the supps and feeling really bad. I gained 5 pounds and mostly from water retention. My BP which is normally low shot up to 150/93 (high for me) so I took diuretics for 2 days and quit the supps except for my multi-vitamin and felt fine. Did not stop the topa. My BP went back to 110/70 and I dropped the 5 pounds. So I went back on the supps but lowered the dosages. After one day, I can feel myself retaining water again. I have it narrowed down to the amino acid or kudzu because I have taken most of all the other things in the past on a regular basis. Would appreciate any insight as I would like to continue on this program. I know topa can affect kidney function but I don't think that is it because I started the supps several weeks before I got the rx and my problems started with the supplements. :thanks:

Kimme

Hi Kimme,
    Wow, that really bites!! What all are you taking? I would suggest starting back on them one at a time to see which one is giving you the problems. Maybe its a combination? I don't take the topa, but I do take a bunch of the other stuff.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I think LV is right. also have you checked the dosages you are getting? Try taking one at a time. I take kudzu, lglut, all one, omegas, gaba, true calm and prozac and feel good on all that.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I didn't like Kudzu nearly as well as L GLUT. for cravings...I agree with LV,it could be a combination.Gaba has been really good for me and of course Antabuse as a last resort..Trail and error is now i figured out what worked the best for me.it has been many months and I am just now getting comfortable with the supps..
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

i dont no a hole lot on meds but you should be careful i no what i read on the internet punch in the name andit will tell you what the side effects mt be and they re could even be more they dont list depends on your matabalism eveyone is different specially with hi blood pressure good luck gyco

Comment

I've found 5-HTP doesn't agree with me. I've upped my dose on Kudzu, and now can "feel it" i.e. I know when I've taken it by the cravings I have. Valerian makes me groggy.

In addition to all of that, I've modified my diet to have more fiber and starches. Most signifcantly, an oatmeal cookie twice a day. This is recommended by one of my serotonin books as a way to help your body control sucrose (blood sugar) levels as well as serotonin. I find a side effect is the cookie settles my stomach when it is otherwise empty. I think I get anxious sometimes, and this helps.

Comment

Thx all, I think I wll take all of your advice and gradually introduce each supplement and see how I react. Start from the beginnng so to say, I want to stay on the topa, it serves 2 other purposes for me: #1 I have ET (Essential Tremor) which is an off label use for topamax that has been working wonders for me and was actually discussed with my neurologist, #2 Migraines, not a trace since. So I believe this is the perfect drug for me. Plus I am OCD about my weight, love to be told I am so "thin".

Kimme

Comment

Most supplements should be taken with food, and if not, they can cause upset stomach. However, amino acids, including l-glutamine and GABA, should absolutely be taken on an empty stomach.

Vitamin Bs, magnesium/calcium, and vitamin C usually don't give problems even on an empty stomach, but they are probably better absorbed with food.

Tryptophan should be taken on an empty stomach, with a little fruit juice, but I've heard this is not necessary for 5-HTP.

Don't know what bothers you Boss.man, but 5-HTP/tryptophan gives me wild hallucinatory dreams if taken in the evening.

Kimme-- Taurine (an amino acid) is very good for tremors. It is very relaxing without making you sleepy. You need to take a lot though, like 1,500-2,000 mg, and it has to be on an empty stomach. But at least it's fairly inexpensive. Magnesium is also good for tremors.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                X