Why Did you drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Did you drink?

Trying to figure out why I drank. Pefectionism,OCD, boredom, Just because I wanted to ETC. Just looking for some insight and I know this is the right place . Happily sober since since AUG 29 2008:thanks:

Why Did you drink?

I drink because I am an alcoholic and ANY excuse will do.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I drink to forget.....forget what ? I don't know I forgot ! Ha! IAD Welcome TW. For me it was probably boredom, depreciation, anxiety.....You'll get a lot of good advice here. Lot's of old timers with a lot of miles.....and good advice. IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I drank because....well everyone in I knew did. My family, friends. It was just the thing to do. As crazy as it sounds it would have seemed stranger if I didn't. Now I wish I had never started.
        :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I took my first drink out of spite. The whole "I'll show them" (parents, was 15 yrs old) additude.
          Then I drank because of a broken heart.
          After that, well, it was just fun and I was breaking the rules.
          In college, I suppose it was much more complex. For fun, for drowning out bad feelings, for popularity amongst friends...
          After marriage, for stress, for boredom, for anger.
          After divorce, it was habit. Sleeping problems, stress from work, lonliness.
          Now, hell, I just don't know why anymore, I just DO.
          Was AF 7 days, it was AWESOME. Then kidded myself into just one glass...
          We drink because we are addicted and because we still can.
          Tomorrow is a new day. AF. No excuses anymore. I can't do this anymore. I am not a liar although I am admittedly VERY good at it, alcohol has made me loath myself enough to lie even when a lie isn't necessary. Go figure.
          I drink because it is what I know. It is (SO NOT) safe.
          It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Comment

Why Did you drink?

Seacailin;422791 wrote: I drink because I am an alcoholic and ANY excuse will do.
            :agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I drank because it made me feel good.

I became an alcoholic when over time it no longer made me feel good but became a necessary part of my existence.

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Why Did you drink?

Well, Mr. TW....I didn't drink until I was in my 30's. LOL My divorce triggered it. Funny thing is...I don't think I'm addicted. I think it has become a habit more than an addition.
                sigpic

Comment

Why Did you drink?

Because it numbed the pressure I feel in my daily life.

I always thought it was a quick numb, that wore off in 12 hours. Convenient, for waking up in the morning.

It was only a month ago I found MYO and started reading and learned the effects of a single drink can last up to 5 days, and the effects of daily drinking can take a month and even more to wear off.

Comment

Why Did you drink?

Whoa Boss, that means I may still be getting rid of the affects of my last big drinking day! I guess that is something to keep fresh in my mind!

I just progressed into alcoholism over time...no particular reason except that at a certain point it took over my life, plain and simple. Now it's gone, hopefully for good!!
                    Kriger
                    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Why Did you drink?

Kriger, I'm afraid for many people, daily drinking is a one-way trip. Our bodies change how we metabolize the stuff, and our bodies won't go back to do what my spouse can do, have three drinks one night, and forget to drink for the next five nights.

Just forget. Imagine that.

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I started off as a so-called 'social drinker' and fell into the alcohol trap. When I went out for an evening I was quiet and nervous around meeting people and the alcohol seemed to make me bubbly and 'fun'.
                        I thought I needed it to make me appear more interesting.
                        I wasnt interesting... what's interesting about a drunken woman falling about and slurring words, stinking of wine breath and starting fights?

Went AF for 4 days at the beginning of September, then all it took was one panicky moment and lots of adverts in a cinema to make me crack.

Only Day 2 now, but last night my fiance noticed a difference in me already. Im more alert, yuonger looking cos my face aint puffy and he said there was a light in my eyes.

?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Why Did you drink?

i started drinking to feel that i belong to a "HAPPY GROUP OF PEOPLE" "yah right" and i smiled for only a few days, when i started drinking to forget how i feel and what i did.
                          then after i started drinking becouse am an alco-dependent. then the endless list of reasons followed.

Comment

Why Did you drink?

In the Begining because thats what every one else did in the end to get drunk. Lame arse shy personality type no courage to say no!!!!

Comment

Why Did you drink?

I drank for alot of the same reasons until alcohol withdraw after drinking 15 beers every other day . Now at 45 years the body will never be the same. WARNING Don't think it won't happen to you (Like I did) STOP NOW - call your doctor and get some help. alcohol withdraw came after a nigt of drinking it snuck up on me the next morning. I never drank every day or had a beer in the morning. these boards are a life saver and can give you lots of support. Please stop today and think of your health any time you want to just have a beer

Comment

Working...
                              X