Going to doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to doctor

I am going to the doctor in an hour because I desperately need help. If something doesn't change I am going to lose my family. Any advice on what I should tell him? Obviously I will tell him the truth about what is going on. Does anyone know if your insurance will be effected or if you'll be "labeled" if you get one of these prescriptions?
    Hope :h

Going to doctor

Hopeful,

I can't lie to you, unless your doctor agrees not to put a dx of alcoholism on your paperwork, you will be "labeled" by the insurance companies. This will only affect you if you ever apply for private insurance. Employers and such cannot access that information.

However, I finally bit the bullet and took it because I needed to detox, I needed to survive. I was truly killing myself with alcohol. The labeling and the future meant nothing if I were to die.

Do not allow yourself to stay where you are in life out of fear.

It is not a perfect world but in my mind getting sober means doing WHATEVER IT TAKES.

It is that simple.

Good luck today and I am very proud that you are taking this scary step to help yourself. Be a selfish about your recovery, Hopeful. Because without sobriety, you will lose everything anyway. Your family, your health, your life.

You are taking steps to do insure you are there for yourself and those you love.

Let us know how it goes.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going to doctor

what did the dr give you that helped?
      Hope :h

Comment

Going to doctor

(((Hopeful))))

Hon, it doesn't hurt to ask the doc not to put "alcholism" on your diagnosis. All he can say is no and maybe he will be understanding. What worked for me is Campral. But for more info. on the drugs, there is a forum specifically for Topo, Campral, etc. I too am proud of you for taking this step. It takes a lot of guts. :l

Comment

Going to doctor

Hopeful,

I tried it all. Topa (allergic), Naltrexone (didn't give it enough time), Campral (nada), and finally Antabuse.

Antabuse works like a champ. Even I cannot think about taking a drink knowing it will make me deathly ill. I also pull my husband into it by making him give it to me in the mornings before he goes to work.

That way HE knows he can go to work and relax knowing he will come home to a sober wife.

Do not give up if the first try doesn't work, Hopeful. This is not an easy journey. However, it is definitely worth every effort you put into it. It truly is.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going to doctor

Cinders, that is exaclty what I told my husband who was so concerned about his health insurance. stop worrying about the fact they may cancel it or suspend it for a while, if you continue the drinking you will not need it it was harsh, but it was true. They will not cover a liver translplant if it is due to alcohol abuse, in fact you may not even make the waiting list. so go for it, your life is more important than anything else.

Comment

Going to doctor

HopefulMom, get the help you need now! I've been through detox and have had prescriptions for campral, antabuse etc. never had any issues and just got my new insurance policy this week.
              get healthy! and let us know how you're doing ok?
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
              X