Psychological Factors in Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of you know that I write a blog that includes some writing about scientific areas that I follow. I have been watching some of the research into motivational factors in addiction, and wrote about it in an entry today. I thought some folks here might find it interesting, too, so here is my blog entry, below. Questions and comments very welcome!

There is some fascinating research going on about the psychological (or mental) factors involved in addiction. Who gets addicted, and why? How is it that some people who are exposed to a particular "addictive" substance get "hooked," and others can "take it or leave it"?

For quite a long time, the question of addiction to pain medication has been a troubling issue in medicine. Many patients and many doctors are reluctant to use adequate pain management because of fearfulness that using opiates will result in addiction; and this has even been true for patients who have very severe pain, and little (if any) hope of long-term survival. However, it appears that the use of opiate-based pain medications in medical settings rarely results in addiction, even though those same opiates are considered highly addictive. How does this work? Could it be that the reason a person is taking a drug has an impact on whether or not the drug-taking leads to what we call "addiction"? Apparently, yes. And some recent research is beginning to help clarify this question.

It turns out that the brain pathways that are involved in the extremely strong subjectively felt (and physically sensed) cravings for an "addictive" substance, among those people who have histories of long-term use/abuse of the substance, are created not merely by the mechanical/chemical actions involved in repeated administrations of the drug, but also by the motivational (psychological) factors involved in repeatedly choosing to use the drug. Once again, simplistic explanations of clinical phenomena, in which the neurochemical mechanisms are artificially considered apart from the psychological factors that are most certainly brain-based (i.e., neurochemically based), are found to be inadequate and misleading.

Here's an excerpt from a Scientific American article that describes a fascinating study:

Scientists know that addictive drugs can mess with the brain’s circuitry and hijack its reward systems, but a July 31 rat study in the journal Neuron shows that psychological factors may be more instrumental in causing these changes than a drug’s chemical effects are. Cocaine use triggers long-lasting cellular memories in the brain, the study found—but only if the user consumes the drug voluntarily.

A team [of researchers] trained three groups of rats to press levers that delivered cocaine, food or sugar. The researchers injected cocaine into a fourth group. When they examined the rats’ brain tissue, they found an increase in synaptic strength within the reward center in those rats that had self-administered sugar, food or cocaine. These cellular memories were short-lived in the sugar and food groups, but in rats that had self-administered cocaine they persisted for up to three months after consumption had stopped. Most interestingly, the brains of rats that had consumed cocaine involuntarily did not show such imprints. The findings illustrate that the pharmacological effects of cocaine alone are not enough to create reward-associated memories, Bonci says. “Instead the motivation for taking the drug seems to be a key component in the process as well."
    Implications: among other possible ways that these findings might end up being helpful and useful in the prevention and treatment of addiction, we should note at the very outset that motivational factors (paying careful and disciplined attention to our values and goals), cognitive factors (how do we label our own feelings, and what are our expectations and hopes about our behaviors, etc.), and other psychological factors that are (at least to some extent) within our own conscious control can indeed have a major impact on the behaviors we choose.

WIP, very interesting as usual!

So, if for example, 2 young people could start out 'trying' alcohol at the same point- one is doing it to try and get drunk as he sees his elder brother doing every weekend and the other is doing it simply because it has been put in his hand, the first one obviously has a higher chance of becoming addicted.

Or rather more subtly, fast forward on a few years, two twenty years olds on a double date, one is drinking because she is very shy, and the other is drinking because she saw that brand of beer advertised on TV and would like to try it? The shy one is far more likely to become addicted, obviously.

But I wonder how that those of us who years ago began drinking for the wrong reasons can right it now?

Just realising that we started for the wrong reasons does not really put it right does it, or can it help?

I think I had a link to your blog, but no longer have it now- would love to have a read.

Comment

Thank you WIP,
      A very interesting and thought provoking post.
      I am quite certain that my drinking problem has been a 'thinking problem'

My sister who is a drug and alcohol based clinical psychologist has said exactly the same thing to me.
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Great questions, Marbs. To try to begin answering them, we need to add another piece from the research on addiction: our expectations play a very heavy role in how we experience the feeling of consuming alcohol. In fact, many experiments have confirmed that people who are told they are consuming alcohol, when they are not, will feel and behave as if they have been drinking. And people who are told they are NOT consuming alcohol, when they are, will (up to a point, of course) have far fewer of the usual subjective feelings and the behaviors typical of alcohol consumption.

So, I think your examples are excellent; in general, I think that those who expect that alcohol will help them be more social, more comfortable, happier, etc., will more likely (a) experience feelings consistent with their expectations AND (b) want to consume more alcohol, and to do so more frequently. And this will contribute to subsequent dependence.

On the other hand, for those of us who have already become dependent, our expectations ALSO play a role in getting OFF the alcohol. If we have the discipline to observe our own minds as they generate ideas about alcohol that are positive (have a drink! it will feel good! etc.) AND if we use tactics such as distraction, refusing to engage in that kind of thinking, and/or deliberately recalling the negative impact of drinking in our lives, and the positive results we get from being AF... then I think we will have a MUCH easier time re-training our minds and our brain circuitry to permit us to be more at ease in our freedom from alcohol.

This is why I always encourage people to be careful with their thinking! Those of us who allow our minds to engage in daydreaming about alcohol, daydreaming that is focused on the pleasure we anticipate or remember from drinking, are going to have a MUCH harder time limiting or eliminating their alcohol intake. And allowing ourselves to think of alcohol as a good thing that we are being deprived of is definitely a step on the road to relapse.

wip

Comment

The problem with my daydreaming is it seems to just stop at number 2!

If I went on to nmbers 6,7, and 8 I would probably run to bed and hide under the covers, but no, there I am at number 2, all nice, sociable and relaxed.

I have often wondered this- also it is a litle different from what you describe, and I guess the amounts are important, but I have known/watched a good number of people die with cancer over the years. My dad in the UK and also about 10 friends here.

When morphine is administered, we basically know that is it, and they are on 'The Pathway', or in other words that they are dying.

But my mum is administered the same drug here in Spain (they won't give it to her in the UK)for excrutiating migraines and obviously she does not die. Now I know the dose must be different, but I think the concept of what you are describing is the same.

Comment

marbella;431282 wrote: The problem with my daydreaming is it seems to just stop at number 2!

If I went on to nmbers 6,7, and 8 I would probably run to bed and hide under the covers, but no, there I am at number 2, all nice, sociable and relaxed.
            Well, that's exactly the problem. We forget that WE are in charge of how the daydream proceeds. As soon as I am aware that I am thinking about how lovely it would be to have a lovely drink (!) I can mentally step in and (a) change the mental topic with distraction; (b) remind myself of, as you say, drinks 6-8 and the morning after; (c) calmly say to myself, "I don't drink," etc.

wip

Comment

AMELIA;431269 wrote: Thank you WIP,
              A very interesting and thought provoking post.
              I am quite certain that my drinking problem has been a 'thinking problem'

My sister who is a drug and alcohol based clinical psychologist has said exactly the same thing to me.
              Amelia, your sister really knows what she's talking about!

wip

Comment

WIP!!! Awesome work. My own experience bears this oout. This is exciting. Funny how pain-killers also came up today on another thread becuase Cindy McCain had been addicted.

I know exactly why I became addicted to pain-killers for migraines. I was a young mother, two young kids. My husband had cafreer problems & started a business that did not work well enough toi support us. We had to do bankruptcies & I was very scared. I went back to work full-time to AT&T in a very intense engineering job.

Every month a few days before my period I woudl get the horrible migraine. The stress from work & fear of losing my home & doing the best I could soccermom & all for the kids, AND working for my husband exacerbated the migraines. They became weekly.

My dr prescribed a med. The ONLY way I could keep my job with so many migraines was to take these meds. They worked great. No drowsiness & coudl function.

Our family doctor wwas fully aware of my life situation. At one point he said he did not realize how often I was taking these meds for pain. I had stopped taking them for awhile & we realized I had become addicted. He monitored my usage after that, but he was also a community friend and knew I needed these to work & make money . We talked a lot about going off of them & when, etc.

I mean I was totally motivated to take a pill so that I could function & take care of everything. I made the decision. It was more important to me to take care of my kids, & work, etc. Of course I eventutally got totally burnt out physically & mentally. Stress, addiction will alwasy takes its toll.

After menopause I went to a 3 day rehab & stopped. Yes, it was painful. I had migraines for a few more years but I was not working luckily & they were much less frequent & less severe. Today I only occasionally get a headache.

That's my story on the pain-killers. It was a barbituate + acetominophen + caffeine. I never craved one after rehab. Probably because the re-bound headaches (headache from NOT taking the med) were gone. However to this day if I have a very bad headache I so wish for one of these. They were so effective.

I think I have to agree with the motivational factors as a component. Thank you for this WIP. I am going to read up on this more.

I think pain is a real motivator. Maybe either physical or mental. I hate pain!!! After so much of it. I have some osteoarthritis now -- back, knees, hip. I know I drink for that reason. But there are other reasons -- habit, etc. Who really knows all the answers.
                "Everything you try to avoid about yourself
                will keep playing out insidiously in your life.
                This creates the perfect opportunity for you to embrace,
                love and heal this part of self."

Comment

Read soe of the other posts here. Excellent , interesting information. Thank you ladies.
                  "Everything you try to avoid about yourself
                  will keep playing out insidiously in your life.
                  This creates the perfect opportunity for you to embrace,
                  love and heal this part of self."

Comment

YUP
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

WIP,
                      I almost never think of what I am missing or depriving myself of. My thoughts revolve around being free of what it was doing to my body, my mind and ultimately my life. I don't mean to say I never have fond thoughts of taking a drink...I do, but I now can quickly change that realm of thinking over to the negative ramifications of what drinking does to me. I feel blessed to be in the frame of mind I am in because I hear so many people here who are missing alcohol, grieving it's loss, unable to think about life without alcohol, white knuckling thru their AF days. These are very tough thoughts to bear and remain AF. I wish the best for everyne here.
                      Krigs
                      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Curious. Thanks for posting.

For the study, it would appear the "learning" is tied to the addiction. Our brains are wired to learn. But the study appears to indicate that the substance causes additional "habits" to be acquired. What do you call additional synaptic strength, it's not really a "habit" as much as a thought-highway.

I'm less sure of your post and the application. It is generally acknowledged that addictive drugs are not addictive for people with true pain, but become addictive for those who lack pain. I.e. if there is an overriding condition, addiction does not occur.

I guess I'm simply seeking the conclusion: Once the addiction occurs, once the synaptic highways are set, how can we best unset them?

Comment

It would be more accurate to say that addiction IS a form of learning. So far as the brain is concerned, "learning" consists entirely of the creation of new neuronal connections. "Habit" is a special case of "learning," as is "addiction" (which can be considered a particular type of habit).

The part about it being "generally acknowledged" that addictive drugs are "not addictive for people with true pain" is precisely the phenomenon that I opened the blog post with... but it is not the whole story, and in fact is an oversimplification and distortion of the true situation. Many (but not all) people with "true pain" actually DO become very much "addicted to" pain medication, after their painful condition has improved. The question is: why do some become addicted, and some do not? The rat study indicates that one factor (among many!) is the voluntary, or motivated, aspect of the drug use (note that none of these rats were in any pain!). Some rats began to seek and use the drug because of the pleasure it brought them.

One possible conclusion, as to what that might mean for humans: the way that we use our drugs, and the reasons for which we seek and use them, and the expectations we bring to our drug use, play a role in the re-structuring of our brains (i.e., the "learning" of the "habit"). And this interpretation is highly consistent with what we already know about the enormous difference that cognitive and motivational factors play in human behavior (behavior being, in large part, a product of "learning" and "habit," as well as motivation, which can help us to override habit).

All of cognitive and cognitive-behavioral therapy is directed at helping people to notice their cognitions, or their thinking patterns, and their expectations, and to step back from them, with the result that people are less influenced by the thoughts and expectations that cause them trouble (e.g., the thought that alcohol is a good thing; that I can handle it; that I need it; etc.).

So, to answer your question again: Once the addiction occurs, we can and should use a multi-modal approach to changing our thinking, our behavior, our emotion regulation, our nutrition, and our surroundings (our environment). It is unlikely that the "synaptic highways" will ever be "unset," but rather that we can and do create new synaptic highways, representing and reflected by new behaviors, new thinking patterns, better emotion regulation (less impulsivity), etc. The old, addictive, synaptic highways will always be there, weakened perhaps, but probably never eradicated. Thus the need for a lifetime of vigilance.

wip

Comment

Um. I was hoping for a pill or a hammer. What do you think?

;-)

Comment

Boss.man;431698 wrote: Um. I was hoping for a pill or a hammer. What do you think?

;-)
                              LOL!!!

I have always been fond of crescent wrenches.

Comment

Working...
                              X