Brother diagnosed with Terminal CANCER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a SHOCKING E Mail from my youngest Brother, yesterday.It just said(I am Deadly sick.I started Chemo on Friday and the Doctors give little hope.Pray for my SOUL).He must have been diagnosed with terminal Cancer???I called him several times before he finally answered I said TELL ME WHAT HAS HAPPENED.His reply was I STARTED CHEMO AND THERE IS LITTLE HOPE.He then said he was violently sick and could not talk.He then hung up leaving me in shock.
    I don't know how to process this.He had just gotten Sober 2 months ago after 25yrs. using Drugs and alcohol.He was starting to rebuild a relationship with his kids and getting help to straighten out his financial disaster.He had sent me a huge bouquet of lavender roses, a few weeks ago on my birthday.We had spoken 3 or 4 times on the phone, that week.He was grateful to be sober and looking forward to spending the Holidays with us.
    Now he won't answer his phone or E Mail.He has lost all his friends because of the booze, so there is no one near him for me to call.It hurts to think of him so sick and alone.He can't work so he has no money for food or gas to go to Chemo.He lives a 10 hr. drive from us and I don't know what to do.If this has started him drinking again, he can be dangerous and I am then afraid of him.Our Mom died when he was a teenager and i raised him like a son.I know at some level, he chose this but the timing seems cruel...What would you do, in this case ??? Advice welcome.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Evielou, I am praying for you and your brother now.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Oh, Evie, I am so sorry. As to what I would do... probably, given what you have said, I would make every effort to go and see him.

wip

Comment

I'm so sorry Evielou....Bella XXXX

Comment

Ooh EvieLou- I am so so sorry.

I think I would try to get there to see him if your schedule permits? Any chance of your husband or another family member going with you?

This must be so difficult for you- Do you have anything over there like we have the MacMillan nurses in the UK? They visit cancer patients in their own homes and make sure they are coping. I guess your best thing to do now is get online and on the phone and see what resources are available- there should be some help out there that he is not going through this alone.

I too am praying for him and your family.

Comment

I have been calling him and just let the phone keep ringing.Now it is busy, so he probably took it off the hook.I talked to my older brother and he didn't even know about him getting sober, much less about the cancer.He has hepatitis c and we thought that was why he had been looking so sick.we are going to Vt. in a few weeks and there isn't any time that we can both leave before that(the INN is booked).I may have to cancel VT. but I was so interested in Rhonda Lenair and her work and all our tickets and reservations are non refundable.I am in LIMBO until he will communicate with me.I have a GUT WRENCHING PAIN.It is probably our MOM, cause I promised on her death bed to take care of my baby brother.I am going for a walk, to think.You all our a wonderful support and i am GRATEFUL.

Comment

Evie, we are all with you hun
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Evielou..First off im so sorry to hear about your devestating news..I can't imagine..

If it was my brother Evie i would have to go and see him..Whatever it takes..He sounds very sick and i could not bare the thought of not going and god forbid something terrible happened..And it being too late..
                But that is me and i dont have all your responcibilities...Do what your heart tells you Evie..
                Best of luck...We will all be thinking of you and yours..xx
                I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

my prayers are for you and yours take care
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

sounds like you need to go and see him...im sorry Evie , this is tough.

Comment

Evie,
                      Do his children live near by? Can you have one of them check on him? If you raised him like a son, then you know, as a "mom" you won't rest easily until you see (or talk) to him for yourself. You won't enjoy VT. unless you have settled this issue. Can you drive out there? Fly? I think, not just for him, but for your own well being, some way or another you need to see him. Though he's not taking your calls, he wouldn't have laid this on your plate unless he wanted help. He knows you well enough to know that his conversation would stir you up. It's his sick way of reaching out to you. Good luck to you in this most difficult situation. You are in my prayers.
                      When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Oh Evie, I am so sorry for your brother and your heart ache. You will know what you need to do. Your heart will tell you. Sending you love and support, prayers for both your brother and you! Love - Sherry
                        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Oh Evie, I am so sorry to hear about your brother - I am thinking of both of you.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thinking of you, Evie....

You probably should go and see him, but don't go alone....

Don

Comment

Thanks everyone,I feel like my heart is physically breaking.His ex wife and kids live in Ky. and he lives in Va.His EXs new husband told me never to call there home if it was about my brother.I have an old friend of his, phone number,but no answer so far.I am tempted to call the Police because he did say (where's my gun) but that may make things worse.I am afraid to fly there alone because if he is drunk, he can be violent.To me it seems he is acting cruel and irrational just as he did in his drunkenness.I pray that he comes to his senses and calls me.The waiting and not knowing is mentally exhausting.Thanks for your kindness..I can't believe that this is happening.It is like a nightmare and I just want to wake up..

Comment

Working...
                              X