I've asked about detox before...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have aked this before but please refreh my memory.
    I just saw Mackral's post about detoxing and being safe. Sorry didn't get the units thing. Anyway. I had gotten up there pretty good since I had not been working. Even if I was not "drunk" I would be drinking for hours every day. worst thing that could happen is a seizure right and that should be ok since I am on Topa right?
    I always get paranoid when someone posts about coming off AL safely. I saw a Dr. G once where the guy died b/c he stopped drinking for one day b/c he promised his ex wife or something.
    Anyway, I have never gotten sick or anything when not drinking. Just being a nut I guess.
    TM
    One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

TM,

Withdrawal symptoms for me were bad but not dangerous.

They included sweats, shakes and general ick feeling.

The danger for withdrawal is seizures, you are right. However, I do believe the Topa should help with that. Not sure though.

If you start feeling very shaky and really bad, you might want to go to a doctor. The typical drugs used for withdrawal are Librium or Ativan. You take them for about a week.

The danger for withdrawal is over after about 4 to 5 days. However, it always seemed to me that by day 3 I was over them. It has been a while but this is what I remember.

Good luck!!
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hiya Twinsmommy,

I have changed my GP 3 times and seen two different people from D.A.T. (Drug and Alcahol Team) and all have said the same thing..
      For heavy drinkers to stop alcahol immidietly is dangerous..They said after heavy abuse for a number of years your body becomes dependant on it to function properly...And taking it away all at once ( worse case senario ) can cause it to shut down..
      While this is the worse case senario it is something they advise at it's just not worth the risk...Seizures, and hallucinations are more proberble...But i don't want them either..
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

I agree Mac I wish you luck. How much were you drinking? I am confused about the units thing.
        One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

Thanks TM,

I only learned about the units thing properly myself today...

I gotta cut down to six, 500ml cans of cider a day..6%...That equates to 18 units...She had a wheel chart for different drinks and what their units are..I was drinking rum,red wine and whatever else was infront of me...But 50 units is the same as 18 cans of strong cider a night..

Comment

Oh thanks. Not to pry. well all my best I will be thinkin of ya
            TM

Comment

Topa does NOT protect you from withdrawal symptoms!! It's an anticonvulsant, but not at all a guarantee that seizures from alcohol withdrawal will not occur!

Seizures are a rare and VERY dangerous symptom of withdrawal. As a general rule, the more you have been drinking, the longer you have been drinking, and the more frequently you drink, the more likely you will have serious withdrawal symptoms, BUT there is not a direct relationship between how much you have been drinking and whether or not you will have serious withdrawal symptoms.

Safest thing if you have been drinking heavily for a long time is to see your physician about helping you withdrawal and/or not to stop cold turkey. But most people, even heavy drinkers, are OK even if they abruptly stop.

If you do stop on your own, and you begin feeling physically shaky, sick, or confused, go to an ER and tell them the truth about what you have been doing!

wip

Comment

TM,

18 cans of strong cider should, I think, equate to 3 bottles of wine a night.

My understanding is that a regular (not large) wine bottle contains 5 - 6 glasses of wine.

Does this seem right to everyone?

Cindi

ps, at my worst, I was drinking roughly 4 bottles of wine a day. When I detoxed from that, I did go into hospital detox, though....
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I think its approx 5 glasses in a normal bottle. About 2-3 glasses in cymru size!
                  To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

You can buy the bigger bottles of cheaper wine here, but the % is generally less than premium wines. I would always rather 2 12-13% bottles to a big 9-10% one!
                    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

That sounds about right to me Cinders...I sometimes bought the 3 bottles of red for ?10 from the local bargain booze..

Comment

Oh yes, Mack. Thats the first thing i do. Buy 2 get 3rd free, so i didnt have to stumble down to the shop again.
                        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Here in the U.S. we have 1.5 -liter bottles of wine for the serious lushes. Also wine in boxes for even more
                          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I read on here a while back about rotating the shops you buy your drink from..It does get embaressing after while..

Comment

Working...
                            X