A Psychic Change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Psychic Change...

We've been talking a lot lately about the need to undergo a fundamental psychic change in order to truly recovery from our alcohol problem. That change can be made through meditation, spirituality, etc. but it does need to occur in order for us to emerge as happy & content former drinkers.

I wanted to share a passage from the Big Book that talks about this issue. I know some aren't fans of AA and that is fine, but this is really pretty generic and I think relates to all of us:
    -------------------------------------
    Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over
    , and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

On the other hand-and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand-once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules.
    --------------------------------------
    Those rules can be anything as long as it is working your plan for recovery. Wishing and hoping won't do it, you have to have something concrete is place or your chances are most likely slim. It is also amazing to me that something written in 1939 can still apply to us today, and not just to those in AA - it would seem to be a strong course of action for anyone have difficulty with alcohol.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

A Psychic Change...

AA, there are some GREAT ideas and passages in the BigBook! That's certainly one of them... Thanks for putting it up here.

wip

Comment

A Psychic Change...

AAthlete,

It is so true. I think it does not matter how the psychic change occurs, but it does have to occur.

Otherwise, the "obsession" with alcohol remains and we are stuck with constantly fighting it. That is not a good way to live.

I have seen in AA meetings people that have achieved the change and I have seen on MWO people that have achieved this change.

It gives me hope. This is something I am working on constantly to get to myself. My AA sponsor and friends tell me never to give up, the miracle will happen.

Thank you for posting this today. It is good to get centered again on the important aspects of my recovery and this helped.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A Psychic Change...

I think AA is great, it's just not for me. The BigBook is inspirational to almost anyone, and that excerpt is a great example. Thanks!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

A Psychic Change...

Can anyone explain a bit more fully what the 'psychic change' is, and how to acheive it?!!

(Sorry if this is a thick question)

Comment

A Psychic Change...

AA, thanks, for the bigbook passage. It really hit the spot as I am struggling a little lately to maintain.
            My disconnected alcoholic life was not normal or good….don’t want to go back there!

Al is a sneaky bastard!

nat
            Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

A Psychic Change...

marbella;436397 wrote: Can anyone explain a bit more fully what the 'psychic change' is, and how to acheive it?!!

(Sorry if this is a thick question)
              I'm with ya Marbella, I don't understand either....can anyone help us ?
              :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

A Psychic Change...

I think it means different things to different people. Perhaps most fundamentally it means a different way of thinking about our relationship(s) with the world, with others, and with ourselves. Especially, our relationships with and responses to difficulties in life. Using alcohol on a long-term basis reflects a thinking pattern that says: "All pain is bad and should be eliminated immediately, regardless of the long-term cost to me or to others. MY pain is the most important thing in the world, to me." Getting over that thinking, and the behavior that goes with it, leaves us just like the rest of the world is: in a life in which there is a lot of pain and no way to immediately get rid of it! A world in which there are other concerns that ultimately are MUCH more important than MY discomfort. A "psychic" (or "mental" AND behavioral transformation) is required so that we learn to tolerate discomfort (including "cravings" for alcohol), and learn to assign appropriate importance to people and situations OTHER THAN OURSELVES!

Fair statement, AATh? Maybe your perspective is different.

wip

Comment

A Psychic Change...

It is quite simple and hard to achieve.

It means you have truly accepted that you cannot drink, you do not want to drink. That your life without alcohol is so much better that you wake up every day ecstatic that alcohol is no longer a part of your life.

I look at one of my hubby's friends. Hubby and he used to travel together. Sometimes they went to bars (I won't say what kind but ...) My hubby asked his friend one time, why don't you get a beer??

His friend said, "I am an alcoholic, I do not drink anymore"

Hubby said, "OMG, I am sorry, we can go somewhere else if you want."

His friend said. "No problem, I do not WANT to drink. I can be around others who do and simply understand that not only can I NOT drink, I don't WANT to drink."

He has been sober for many years. (Hubby's friend) and can go into places with others who do drink. He simply knows that he can't. He won't. Most importantly, HE DOES NOT WANT TO DRINK.

That is the change of psyche. When we get to the point where us hard core, down in the dumps, big time alcoholics know, WE DO NOT WANT TO DRINK.

That means we can walk through life happy. Not sad. Happy, because we know that whatever others do around us, whatever life throws our way, no matter what. We not only can't drink, WE DO NOT WANT TO DRINK.

That is a hard place to get to. Sometimes it takes huge horrible happenings in our lives (the bottom) or sometimes it takes just a simple "awakening."

It is different for everyone. Some never get there.

My hope is that all of us here "get there."

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A Psychic Change...

I agree WIP.

For me, the psychic change I went through meant completely changing my whole attitude and outlook upon life, towards the people around me and towards the universe in general. For me that was a spiritual experience - but it can be anything at all.

An example would be my marriage. I was always depressed and angry at my wife for the littlest things in the world. She drove like crap; she swallowed too loudly; she didn't like sex enough.... These were all things that were wrong WITH HER, and if she would just do them my way, the way that I wanted her to, then everything would have been fine and dandy. I had to learn how to let go of all of that, and to accept her (and everything else) as being just the way it was supposed to be and stop trying to control everything. What I learned was that there wasn't something wrong with her, there was something wrong WITH ME.

The peace and serenity that comes with that mindset is truly indescribable, but you can't just say "I am going to think like this" and have it happen - hence the phrase physic change. It is something that normally occurs over time and something that has to be practiced every single day. It involves a lot of soul searching, a whole bunch of honesty and openness and the willingness to stop fighting everything and be humble in your life.

Edit: Cinders I just saw your post, and you are right - that is one of the promises of a the change we are talking about and it 100% possible.
                    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

A Psychic Change...

Cinders (and AATh), my concern about the "promise" that there will be some kind of "miracle" that makes people not WANT to drink is that those whose experience does not match that promise will give up, and decide they are failures who are meant to drink. I truly believe that most recovered or recovering alcoholics, or drug/alcohol dependent people (however you want to term it), will experience transient desires to drink/use throughout their lives, that this is quite normal, and does not in any way represent failure. All relapse prevention programs are designed to help people to cope with this phenomenon.

Over and over again (here at MWO and in other clinical settings) I hear people who clearly believe that their cravings, impulses, and desires to drink/use CANNOT be overcome, and that so long as they experience cravings, they are UNABLE to stop drinking/using. Offering people a promise that these cravings and desires will be taken away somehow, amounts (in my opinion) to an undermining of their belief in their own capacity to withstand cravings, to be stronger than their cravings.

And I think this goes to one of my fundamental disagreements with the AA program. Within AA it is thought that the person is "powerless" and must surrender to some process ("higher power") that creates a "miracle" for him or her. A different approach would be to say that the person's own will, desire, and commitment to be healthy and whole, despite the existence of hardships (including, sometimes, a desire to drink), is the "active ingredient." I am very much an advocate of the latter approach!

wip

Comment

A Psychic Change...

AAthlete,

Thanks for this post. It really hit home with me. After this weekend's binge I have emerged "remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again" and I hope that I can succeed at this--however I'm still not sure what a psychic change is or how to get to it. I've even begun looking into AA even though in the past I've felt I disagree with their principles. Any advice?
                        Pepper

Comment

A Psychic Change...

A Work in Progress;436468 wrote: "All pain is bad and should be eliminated immediately,
                          I had not thought of it that way.

Thank you both for your response :l
                          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

A Psychic Change...

Great thread AAthlete. It brings to my mind the "Serenity Prayer". I've said it and hear it a hundred times, but these days it seems to have greater meaning to me.

Serenity Prayer - Full Original Copy of the Serenity Prayer
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

A Psychic Change...

WIP - you may very well be correct. However, all that I can speak from is my experience and the promises came true for me.

That being said, I do have times where the thought of a drink pops into my head, but I now have tools that I can use to deal with those thoughts. I do know that I am a fool if I ever think I have this thing licked because that's when it will get me....

Comment

Working...
                              X