AF Army 12th October 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now you can start doing what you want for a change.
    Cannot tell you how pleased I am for you.... feel quite choked about it all, daft bat that I am....
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

One pup will take your eye when you get there -
      Pick them all up and hold them on their backs like a wee baby - Pick the one that just lays there happily in your arms - that will be the easiest one to train.
      It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Don't know too much about Shih Tzu's as a breed - I think they are okay temperament wise (some little dogs are monsters).

Comment

Yes they will piddle on paper inside the house - but you want to teach him early to go outside.
          Take him outside immediately when he wakes, finishes eating or if he's circling and sniffing the ground a lot. You might have to put your computer outside for the first few weeks as you will be spending a lot of time out there, lol.

Comment

Aaah- how lovely!

I am glad you are getting a pup- although they are hard work, many older rescues have 'issues' due to ill treatment in the past- I don't think it is the wisest thing to get one with such young children in the house- however a tiny puppy should fit in with his new surroundings.

Comment

Oh Listen to me I sound like Barbara Woodhouse - LOL

Comment

Zeppie2;439196 wrote: Yes they will piddle on paper inside the house - but you want to teach him early to go outside.
                Take him outside immediately when he wakes, finishes eating or if he's circling and sniffing the ground a lot. You might have to put your computer outside for the first few weeks as you will be spending a lot of time out there, lol.
                Yes, the housebreaking is VERY time-consuming at first! I always take my puppies outside at least once an hour, PLUS immediately after eating, playing, or sleeping! Plus I keep them in a small box or crate right beside my bed so when they wake up and need to go out, I wake up too, and take them, and stay outside with them for as long as it takes, till "something happens," then LOTS of praise and petting!!! Always lots of praise and petting after peeing or pooping outside!!!

Congrats OneTwo!!! I'm so excited for you!

wip

Comment

Yes One - if your yogger makes a puddle on the floor - it means you haven't been watching him well enough.

WIP - I am a great fan of crates for dogs - when I got my first bull terrier the breeder told me to get a crate and I was horrified. Now I have about six spare ones in the garage and wouldn't be without one when I have a new inside puppy.

Comment

Crates are good for training. They will give pup a safe secure haven in the early days....and a comfy home to call his/her own

Comment

Oney you must post pics 2morrow. Do you have any ideas for names?

Comment

Yeah One - Crates rock - they are a good idea when you are busy and don't want puppy under your feet. It is a nice wee den for puppy to sleep in away from the hustle and bustle of your busy family life.
                        You can get him a basket too if you like.

Comment

Are you going to a breeder? They will probably recommend the best place for you to get it from. have you spoken to them yet?

Comment

one2many;439209 wrote: So can I buy a crate in the pet shop then, i reckon it will have to be a very small one.
                            Start with a small one... the idea is that the puppy will not have room to use one end of it for a bathroom!

Comment

Here are some examples of crates One - they can be as basic or fancy as you like. Attached files [img]/converted_files/661503=4176-attachment.jpg[/img] [img]/converted_files/661503=4177-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ooohhhhhh I'm so excited for you One - it's like I'm getting the puppy.

Comment

Working...
                                X