Battles Within Our Minds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battles Within Our Minds

Many of us here have asked the question: Why do I keep doing this thing that is so hurtful? There is a lot of brain science that helps to answer that question. I wrote a blog post about that today and thought some here might be interested. Here it is:

I recently found a nice discussion about the ever-vexing human phenomenon of the "inner argument." We have all experienced the sensation of a war going on within our own minds, when we are faced with a decision about whether or not to engage in some behavior that seems attractive, but risky. In some situations, we may even find that we bypass any conscious awareness of an inner argument, getting and remaining "stuck" in a pattern of engaging in the risky or harmful behavior, knowing that we should not, and repeatedly asking ourselves, afterwards: "Why do I keep doing that?" This is the persistent question asked by those who engage in compulsive and self-destructive behaviors, such as substance abuse.

How can it be that I persistently do things that I know I should not do? St. Paul famously agonized about this problem in one of his letters, now known as part of the Christian scriptures: "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."

We could interpret this very human phenomenon within a theological model, and many have done so. But another way to look at it is as a question of brain function, and psychology.

First, we have to remember that the brain has always got a lot of signaling going on, involving the regulation of all the body's systems; monitoring, evaluating, and processing all environmental (and interoceptive, or internal) input; creating and retrieving memories (learning); and initiating and regulating behavior, cognition, and feeling-states (emotions). Sometimes there are competing demands among all these functions! There are often entirely different brain systems that play roles in human decision-making, creating what we experience as internal conflict, and sometimes as inexplicable behavior.

As Frontal Cortex (a very nice neuroscience blog) puts it:
    "At any given moment, the cortex is riven by disagreement, as rival bits of tissue contradict each other. Different brain areas think different things for different reasons; all those mental components stuffed inside our head are constantly fighting for influence and attention. In this sense, the mind is really an extended argument."
    Here are two examples: First, there are separate brain systems that manage what we experience as "wanting," as opposed to what we experience as "liking." Especially in the case of drug abuse, the system that develops a strong habit or dependence on acquiring a chemical substance is manifested in our minds as a compelling desire, or craving, for the substance ("wanting"), even while we know that we do not "like" or "enjoy" the effects of the substance.

Second, our brains have two other distinct systems, one of which is used to evaluate risk, and the other to evaluate reward. Within the frontal lobes, there are separate regions, (dorsal and medial prefrontal cortex) that can convey entirely different "decision signals" in situations that involve potentially risky, but possibly rewarding, behavior. Again, we subjectively experience these competing signals in our minds as an internal argument. And often we make what seems to be a totally "wrong" choice, not knowing why have done so.

So, what good can it possibly do us (what good would it have done for poor St. Paul) to know these things? Much of this brain circuitry operates far outside of our conscious awareness and, even with the most careful and diligent monitoring of our thoughts, we cannot possibly achieve full access to this processing, or control over its results.

However, we can engage in choices, and new habitual behaviors, that will reduce the likelihood of falling prey to internal battles. We can, to a large extent, manage both our internal and our external environments. Managing the internal environment means becoming aware of our own thought processes, and refusing to indulge in the kind of thoughts that tend to glorify or promote the potential "rewards" of engaging in risky behavior.

It's important to remember that, so far as the brain is concerned, mental rehearsal of a behavioral sequence amounts to the same thing as actually engaging in the behavior, in the "real" world. That's why athletes benefit from mentally rehearsing a successful performance of one of the moves they need to be able to do well. If we mentally engage in memories about, or plans for, an episode of drug use, or gambling, or whatever the behavior might be (especially if we do so while allowing conscious access only to the remembered or imagined positive aspects of the experience), then we have taken a very large step forward in the direction of enacting those thoughts in our lives. We have also, in effect, strengthened the very habit that we wish to eliminate.

Managing the external environment means eliminating, insofar as is practical and possible, the cues or triggers that automatically bring on-line the brain systems that engage in satisfying "wants" and achieving "rewards." Many environmental cues are very strong and potent, when we are first engaged in the work of changing our habits. Avoiding them, as we learn new "coping behaviors" and responses to stress, and to the absence of our typical behavioral response, is the best course of action. We will have plenty of learning to do, early on, just coping with internally generated cues and triggers. And, as we gradually learn to resist various problematic external triggers, they become less capable of overwhelming us with "wanting," and the illusory promise of "reward."

Battles Within Our Minds

thanks for that. Food for thought indeed.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

Wip,

An Indian ancient sanskrit text, whose name translates to:
      "The Song of God", seems to support your thread here.

The content of the text is a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna taking place on the battlefield of Kurukshetra just prior to the start of the Kurukshetra war. It describes
      a battle of good forces and evil forces at great length, all the while giving Arjuna
      reasons why he personally should fight this battle, and what the out come could be
      if he does not fight.

Some where in the middle of the text, Krishna tells Arjuna that the field of
      Kurukshetra is actually the body.

In the very first verse The blind King [ ego ] asks Sanjaya [ introspection ]
      " What did my sons do [ past tense ] on the field of Kurukshetra.

All the seeds of these Ideas, i see represented in your text above. I do so hope
      that the science of the body and the science of God are converging.

With loving respect, Samsari

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

That's beautiful, Sam! I absolutely believe that, as you say, "the science of the body and the science of God are converging"! It is truly astonishing how many of the psychological and spiritual insights, found within ancient writings, are consistent with contemporary findings in neuroscience (and physics). There's only one Truth. We do our best to grasp and articulate whatever facets or aspects of it that we can, with the limited and ever-changing tools that we might have given to us.

I love the Bhagavad Gita. And the Upanishads (isn't the B.G. actually part of the Upanishads?).

Thanks.

wip

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

Great info WIP. That definitely seems the key to longer term AF is conquering the lingering cravings/habits/demons of the mind.

I like the part about visualizing and rehearsing. I find it very helpful each afternoon to visualize exactly what I'm going to do when I wake up early and refreshed the next day. By getting a good plan in place, it becomes a point of being able to resist AL in the evening, because that would ruin my plan that has already been made. It seems to help for me.

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

A Work in Progress;438963 wrote:
            I love the Bhagavad Gita. And the Upanishads (isn't the B.G. actually part of the Upanishads?).

wip
            wip,

The Bhagavad Gita is also called Gitopanishad as well as Yogopanishad and
            Since the Gita is drawn from the Mahabharata, it is included in Smriti texts.
            However, being one of Upanishads, it has a status of śruti, or revealed knowledge.

Krishna refers to the text He spoke to the sun god, and again to Arjuna as
            Sanataana Dharma, or Timeless Essence

Use every tool at your disposal, And
            Fight the Good fight,
            A gratefully recovered, Sam

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

Boss.man;438987 wrote: Great info WIP. That definitely seems the key to longer term AF is conquering the lingering cravings/habits/demons of the mind.

I like the part about visualizing and rehearsing. I find it very helpful each afternoon to visualize exactly what I'm going to do when I wake up early and refreshed the next day. By getting a good plan in place, it becomes a point of being able to resist AL in the evening, because that would ruin my plan that has already been made. It seems to help for me.
              That's just fantastic. It's a great practice, and it's wonderful that you are finding it helpful!

wip

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

WIP,
                Great post. I think I have put some of that into play already in my daily life. I have made new habits around "not drinking". I have tried to control my environment, as much as possible; I make sure I have my lemon water or tonic and lime at all times. I have changed the way I spend my free time. I try not to engage myself in thinking or planning to have a drink...more of my efforts and planning go into other,completely different, things other than alcohol. I have reached a point in this process where thoughts of drinking just don't come up very often anymore. I think of myself as a non-drinker, that's all. It doesn't cause me stress....it's just "who I am" now. I know things are going to come up in my future to put me at risk for a drink, but I hope I keep these coping methods or skills fresh in my mind so that I don't choose to take that drink. Thanks, as always, for the wealth of info. Kriger
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

Hi WIP- Very wise observations. I have some hypnotherapy CD's from Wendi.com and one or two sessions really speak to the issues you bring up. One is a session regarding depression and she talks about the brain chemestry involved in recalling/reliving a negative experience being recursive. that is to say, recalling one bad memory not only triggers release of

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

12many;439384 wrote: recalling/reliving a negative experience being recursive. that is to say, recalling one bad memory not only triggers release of

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

WIP, I'm happy to say that I used some of your guidance this weekend. I found myself focusing on some thoughts that weren't I shouldn't have been, remembered your posts, and focused on turning those thoughts to a more healthy angle.

Worked like a charm - now I just have to remember that it is a fluid, ongoing process and I always to keep an eye (or a brain cell) on the lookout for 'stinkin thinkin.'
                      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Battles Within Our Minds

That's great, AAth! The "stinkin' thinkin'" concept is one of the best things I learned in AA, and it is so consistent with a genuinely scientific understanding of how our minds work...

Vigilance is key... Maybe that sounds too strenuous or tedious... "mindfulness" has a gentler sound to it. Or "compassionate attentiveness." How about that?

wip

Comment

Working...
                        X