Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why can't I let go of the past?

Hi Dex,

Just lost the reply I wrote for you, so will try again. Your pain is certainly understandable. When we give our heart and soul to another person (and 15 years of marriage is no small gesture!) we get equal parts joy and vulnerability. And when that vulnerability is filled with pain, it's a very dark place to be. No doubt your ex's remarriage and your own financial situation only make matters worse. I hesitate to offer my thoughts as I haven't been in your shoes. But I'm going to take the plunge because if I was in your position, I'd want my friends to be honest and loving with me. So here goes.

I think some emotions and situations are far more difficult than we mere mortals are equipped to handle with our limited tool chests. We can try the books, think our way to a better place, or closet ourselves in an ashram; and if any of these work, great. But if I were in the same place as you, I would hope I could look to the creator of the universe and in all honesty say "Lord, I am hurting so much. Please help me." If my faith is not available to help me in my time of great need, then what exactly is the point? I do think we are meant to be in relationship with our maker, and that shouldering our burdens when they are too heavy to carry is part of the deal.

No matter what you choose to do to deal with all of this, Dex, know that there are many people who truly care about you. Count me in that group.

Vera-b

Comment

Dexter, that is an awful lot of hurt, and very nearby for you. I'm sorry. Of course it keeps surfacing for you in a very painful way. It's not unlike having PTSD, surviving that kind of emotional trauma. The memories and emotions are so very persistent. Counseling, psychotherapy, can sometimes be very helpful in this kind of situation...

wip

Comment

Kittyhead, Can you move to be a bit further away from that house? You mentioned going back to Chicago once. Have you thought about maybe looking for a better paying job? What about a second part time job or volunteer commitment a few nights a week to break the wine cycle. I think the wine helps keep you in that melancholy mood. Come visit green bean!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Quote "No matter what you choose to do to deal with all of this, Dex, know that there are many people who truly care about you. Count me in that group".
          Vera-b
          Mee too my sweet Dex count me in too. Anything to help lift that terrible fog..... Dex Ill try and do!!!!! but rest assured some one as sweet and intelligent and beautiful as you need not despair !!! trust me obey the captains orders brush that niggley past off and start to think of having some fun. Start with a visit to greenie that would be a bloody hoot and what happened to that book about Australian slang and crap use of the English Language !!!!!! Get outta that Funk girl. Imagine me as that motivational guy Robbins on late night TV with a Caps hat on HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
          Love ya dex you are gonna be wonderful!!1
          Cap

Comment

Oh By the way is it smells...... Serious..... I find that some past smells can linger for an eternity they can bring back un wanted memories dont forget the olfactory passages as triggers. By some cheap deoderant (if it is a past smell that ignites bad feelings) and erase the bugger.

Comment

Hey Dex
              I am thinking of you. I am also in a transition - I'm not sure if you are - maybe you will be soon! - I am thinking of you this morning - be sure to check in
              Lila

Comment

Wow, I am not alone after all. I will be thinking of you also as I am dealing with very similar issues after being married for 8 years with what I thought was my soulmate. As offered see someone if you can as it is helping me bunches, write your thoughts down in a private diary, I again state that I am so glad that I found this site as it is making a huge difference in my life right now - thank you all.
                AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Oh, I am so sorry Dex. I hope you can work something out. Your wounds are so deep, maybe best to speak to someone who can help try and heal you. (Therapy, counseling) Just a thought.

Best wishes.

Mich
                  :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
                  AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Working...
                  X