Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you told anyone?

Hi everyone,
    I am just finishing my first week AF. And other than here, I have not told anyone. I have mixed feelings whether to tell or not. Part of me wants to keep it to myself, because I'm not sure what response I will get, and because I have kept my drinking secret (for the most part). The other part wants to scream it from the top of a mountain because I am so damn happy.
    I was wondering how others have approached this, and how it went?

:l
    AK
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Have you told anyone?

congrats!!!!! right on!

hmmm...mixed response from me. I've told some and not others. my job is politically sensitive so I have to watch it, but I've confided in my close friends.

catch you on chat you sober winner you!!
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Yay AK!!! Well done.

I am like det, I have told one or two people but I prefer really to keep it to myself. I think many would not understand and I dont feel that I need or want to explain myself to the majority. I dont want either judgement or pity. I just want to get on with things. So its only you here, my husband and one other
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Thanks you guys,

I wasn't sure I could do it.
        Part of me didn't want to do it...

now I just want to stay this way always.

Comment

Have you told anyone?

I think admitting it to others is an important step in admitting to yourself that you have a drinking problem.

That being said, I also think you should only be telling people that have a need to know. I will not give up my anonymity simple to make a point - there needs to be some tangible benefit from doing it that helps either myself or someone else (most likely someone suffering from the same problem).
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Have you told anyone?

That is good news akgirl..

I dont think most people who dont drink appreciate such an acheivment it is..Apart from family and close friends.And the reaction is a lot of the time...Bland..

But we know how much it means...And how much it takes to do it....

Nice one
            I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
            One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Have you told anyone?

AAthlete;442348 wrote: I think admitting it to others is an important step in admitting to yourself that you have a drinking problem.

That being said,
              I also think you should only be telling people that have a need to know. I will not give up my anonymity simple to make a point - there needs to be some tangible benefit from doing it that helps either myself or someone else (most likely someone suffering from the same problem).
              I agree, only 2 people who are very close to me know
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Telling my spouse was critical to my success when I went AF. But I think this conversation is about telling friends.

I have 3 close friends with whom I used to occasionally share drinks. Telling them was a relief and also part of my commitment.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Have you told anyone?

I haven't told my spouse, who would be very supportive. I've told my spouse about this forum, and my attempts, but not the daily ins and outs.

Perhaps I have yet to commit.

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Hey AK,
                    Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I think it's not a good idea to tell anyone. Friends really want to help you, and sometimes they go overboard trying to "help you". To me getting sober is a personal, intimate journey I'm going through. Otherwise I wouldn't be here on my computer. You are doing an awesome job man....It seems the longer I know you, the more time you're getting in a row.(me too!!!) You are doing great!!!!!
                    MM

Comment

Have you told anyone?

I wouldn't tell people. Only the most sensitive, nonjudgemental person you know, maybe, but I just would not. Someone might use it against you, in a moment of anger, and there really is such a stigma, and the tyranny of AA. My 2 cents.

Lila

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Montana Mommy;442377 wrote: You are doing an awesome job man....It seems the longer I know you, the more time you're getting in a row.(me too!!!) You are doing great!!!!!
                        MM
                        Thank you MM :l, and everyone. I just hope it stays this way. Something is different this time, so I think it will. I owe it to this site and all of your help and support.

Oh, I should thank the guy helping me down the "escalator I wouldn't mind descending" LOL (it's from the cds)

AK

Comment

Have you told anyone?

I agree with AAth, above, about the importance of telling people whenever possible. There is something about "saying it out loud" that leads to a deeper recognition of the reality of what we are doing, a deeper commitment, as BM points out, too. If we keep it in the privacy of our own heads, and do not speak about it face-to-face with people who will know us and see what we are doing if we should back down on our commitment... then we are maintaining a sort of "back door." In most cases, it isn't as if they don't know already, that we have horrible drinking problems and are not drinking any more!

That said, we really do have to be cautious about who to tell...

wip

Comment

Have you told anyone?

I think it differs from person to person. I would imagine unless someone has struggles with addiction, that it would not be nearly as exciting as it is for us. For me, sharing with my closest and dearest was a very liberating experience. My problem with drink was not nearly as "Secret" as I thought it was. LOL! What ever you decide is right for you ~ it is still an outstanding, life-changing, reason to be very proud, grateful and excited about yourself and your future! Congratulations and continued success! PS ~ I know exactly what you mean about that feeling that this time is different! It was the same for me. 191 days for me today!
                            "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Have you told anyone?

Congrats on 191 days! Woohoo!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X