Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many had AF time before?

Hi all,
    I'm just curious, how many have had atleast a year AF before falling again. I had 5-6 years before falling almost 2 years ago.
    MM

sorry , no years , just days...if youve done years youll do it again!

Comment

Hi MM,
      I went AF when pregnant and spent the first 10 yrs. of kid`s life AF. I had drank alcoholically for the preceding 8 yrs. I started drinking again in 2002 and have now been AF for 14 mnths., save for 1 slip in Jan.

My history tells me that I must never ever drink again.

Star x
      Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

I have had many AF periods in the last few years, lasting from 1 week to 10 weeks. Never more, unfortunately. But as Starlight says, my history tells me never ever drink again. That's it.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

MM. I had a 5 year streach where I was AF. that's why I don't indugle my self in AF days, or one program or another. I'm a basic maverick. Doing everything I can to stay sober ! No thrills, no frills just sobriety ! IAD. ( I am 3 month sober though.....only wanting to let you now. IAD)
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Had 10 years 1989-1999. The longest stretch since then has been 18 months. I don't know why it has been so hard this time. I think it is because I am alone so much, but I am trying to change that by going to AA meetings.
            "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I have been nearly 5 years that ended in 06. Have been pretty bad since the day i started again, which tells me i cant drink.
              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

All I know is I don't want to hit bottom again to get my next AF. Honestly, it took a lot to get my 5 years. I went rock bottom, but I have so much more to lose this time. Also, I'm not a 1/4 as crazy as I was when I first got AF.
                MM

Comment

My longest stretch AF was 3 years. Since that time I have done a year or so AF (once), and a period of months, here and there. I am very much committed to this being the last time I have to get that stuff out of my life.

Comment

ive been wondering about this state since 1978,longest stretch was between 1953 and 1971,never drank at all,from then on ive stopped as many times as the years passed,got really bad over the last 10 years off and on,best since 71 was 2 years,a the old saying says,its not tht we can t stop,its we cant stay stopped,do you want ot gyco

Comment

I stopped in 1989 or 90; stayed AF until 1996 when i had a single glass of wine at a luncheon. I guess you could say from that day until 2003 or 2004 (sometime) I was modding without really knowing it. (I could take AL or leave it. I didn't think about drinking ever at that time. Somehow in the 2003-4 time frame I started drinking more and thinking of AL more and the last couple of years have just gotten totally out of hand for me. My dates are not so clear in my mind, but I can say this whole chg from not caring if I had it or not to full blown alcoholism was a pretty gradual progression. I am so glad to be back on the AF side. Kriger
                      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Well this is definitely a though provoking and somewhat scary thread for me. I guess it serves as a powerful reminder to me to remain vigilant at all times. This is my first attempt ever to quit and am into the 100's days. I know I shouldn't feel safe, and that makes me sad, but also more resolved than ever to not slip back to my old habits. I am very thankful that I can learn from you all and hopefully spare myself some pain by thinking I can mod, when deep down I know I shouldn't even try.
                        You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Sea......You know your not alone ! Were here to help.......talk, netting, Cow Tipping ! Ha! I thought I'ld throw that one in their ! ha! IAD.
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

River, you should read Chief's thread. I think it's titled something about The Beast. Geez, it never goes away.

Comment

IAD;444649 wrote: Cow Tipping ! Ha! IAD.
                              IAD,

You crack me up...I swear you are my long lost twin!!! I totally get you :H

Myheart
                              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X