Forgetful on Antabuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Like others have reported in the early days of being on Topamax.... being forgetful about little and even big things that is, I was wondering if Lucy Van Pelt and I are the only ones who experience this with Antabuse? I am sure no drug affects everyone the same, but havent felt this forgetful since the Topa days!

(I do believe Lucy Van Pelt will not mind a pinch if I share this... will confirm with her, but she's on a plane!)

For example:
    My son's school has what they call "early release" every other Wednesday; so instead of getting out at 3:15, they get out 2:00. I pick him up each day, so it is up to me to remember this. Never had a problem with this. I was on Antabuse before and do not recall this either, but he rode the bus then after school, so it wasnt an issue of my forgetting him.

So yesterday was early release. I saw it in my daytimer and was all set for it. Was busy getting tons done, studying, and all of the sudden my son's friend rings the doorbell... "Is Seth here?" Holy Cow!!! It hit me! So I jump in the car, fly to his school and get there only about 15 minutes later than normal, no biggie. He didnt even notice.

So THEN, I come home, call Beth for our "accountable" check in... and tell her what I just did. She is CRACKING up, and then goes... "hold on Allie, my son is calling me on the other line". She then clicks back over to tell me that HER son was calling her from school.... she had done the EXACT same thing. She said he had even texted her earlier and said, "Mom, where are you?" and she was like... "home, why?" LOL!

So fast forward to today. My son has a Halloween carnival (no, I didnt forget THAT). But I was planning on an early dinner as we had to be there by six. So I had prepared everything that needed to go in the oven, preheated the oven at 4 p.m., had dinner on the counter ready to go in oven, could have SWORN I put it in the oven. I sat down to finish up homework with my son and heard the timer go off. Yelled "Dinner time" to everyone and hubby and son come into the kitchen for find dinner still sitting on the counter... raw! What the??? I never did this even when drinking. So needless to say.... we ran out for yucky fast food, which was not what I had in mind!

So I call Lucy Van Pelt to tell her this... and ask her how she is doing (daily check in) and she is at the airport and although she could not talk, she said that the reason she had to pick her son up early was for a doc appt yesterday, and when they got there, she discovered it was for the day before! We had a good laugh and are glad we are both doing great, but has anyone else had this experience?
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Well....

At my age I am not sure I would notice if I was forgetful.

The things you are doing, I do whether drinking, sober, on Antabuse or not.

I am quite serious, actually.

I did love the raw dinner on the counter, story, though. That is exactly like something I would do!!

I hope you and Beth do great on the Antabuse.

I am on it, too, although it seems occasionally I go off it for some completely made up reason and wait until I can drink again.

I am trying the Baclofen in conjunction with it.

I am not noticing any side effects from either, to be honest.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Hi Prest
      I had used antabuse about 2 years ago when i was trying to stop.I had the same experience you are talking about.Big time memory problem.Close friend who knew I was on it brought it up a couple of times that i really wasn't myself .One time I was down at the park in a tennis game .He shows up and says aren't you supposed to be meeting ---- and finishing up that project at your house.I had know it like a half an hour before I left the house but it was just like it was out of my mind.Really had me worried.
      This time I didn't use antabuse went cold turkey .Do bring the pills with me if I think I will be in a situation that might be a trigger or problem to deal with.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Hi Prest
        One thing, I had stooped drinking for 6 months, didn't have the info then that I do now.Thought I had my drinking under control when I stooped the antabuse. I had no plan and wound up back in the same place.Antabuse + a plan will bring you success
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

I'm still waiting for my antabuse. Thanks for the warning. I have a friend that used to be a hardcore AL, and told her when I start AB I want to call her 3X's a day. I'm gonna let her know what you guys are saying about memory loss. Scary guys.
          MM

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Caysea,
            Thanks for sharing your story too.... maybe its a "Florida" reaction to antabuse? I see you are in florida as well as Lucy Van Pelt and I.

MM -- The first time I was on Antabuse I dont recall this, but I think at the time I was so paranoid about having a seizure if I ate the wrong salad dressing, or used the wrong face cream, etc.... that I dont remember if I forgot something major! LOL!

The fact is... face creams, perfume do not bother me. I think its best to try it out... like just a little and see what happens, but I think most people seem to be safe with that.

There is lots of great information on the Antabuse thread, but this was just a new experience for me. I hope it doesnt scare anyone away, especially you MM!

The truth is, it has basically NO side effects other than forgetting to cook dinner and leaving your children at school. But hey! This too will pass!

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Oh and Cinders...

Maybe that's it: I'm almost 40? I thought I was supposed to be hitting my prime, not memory loss!

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Oh I hope it is if you're 40...I am 36....and just ordered it...LOL I cant afford to lose my memory....HA HA
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

I do want to say I am so very proud of you guys for doing this. I know how hard a decision it is to make BUT it sure does help keep you sober.

I do agree with Caysea, though, a plan is definitely needed. One thing about MWO is that we get to see and learn from everyone else's stories.

I have been sober for stretches, Luv even more, apparently Caysea, too.

I view the Antabuse as a tool to help me stay sober long enough to get my other pieces of sobriety in place.

Does that make sense?

Love,
                  Cindi

Oh and one of those pieces is figuring out how to be happy sober. That is going to take me, in particular, some work. But I AM going to figure it out.
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Cindi,
                    I know exactly what you mean and thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, learning to be happy sober is a huge issue. But one thing I am keeping in the forefront of my thoughts is, I am trading about four hours of drinking time in exchange for about 12 to 14 hours of feeling great and productive the next day. It's a mental challenge for a few hours in the evening, but the trade off is always worth it when I wake up! Like right now.... I've been up and all chipper and perky since 6 a.m! Crikey!

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

However, do you remember what you are supposed to do today? :H:H

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Hi All
                        I wouldn't hesitate to use antabuse again if I ever need to break the drinking habit.It was great in regards to helping with the cravings.I kind of laugh at worrying about the side effects compared to what I have done to myself with al.Memory loss is nothing !!

AF 5-16-08
                        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Forgetful on Antabuse?

Cindi..... LOL!! Ah yes, I'm feeling wonderful but totally forgot what I'm supposed to be doing... HAHAHAHA! I shouldnt laugh, it happens.

Caysea, I agree with you. Better to be on Antabuse and deal with a few side effects than those of drinking! What kind of logic is it that our addictive minds want to return to drinking at the first sign of a side effect? As if the side effects of drinking are better?

Comment

Working...
                          X