Dieting and AL Dependence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm continuing my research on the chemistry of AL, how it affects the body and brain, in an attempt to understand what to do about it.

Last weekend I was working through the way the liver processes alcohol into acetelahyde, and then acetic acid (vinegar) and then acetone. Acetone can be burned by muscles for energy, just like they burn glucose and enzymes the liver makes from fat. Apparently the liver is able to keep a steady supply of acetone in the blood stream for many hours and even days after a drinking episode. So long after you wake up sober in the morning, your body may still be using energy from your prior nights, and even previous nights drinking.

It got me thinking of the association between dieting, a system of intentionally lowering your sucrose level to try to burn stored body fat, and craving for alcohol, being an energy source commonly obtained outside the diet.

Does drinking while on a diet increase alcohol dependence?

Does anyone have a feel in their own experience that they became more dependent, or more attached to alcohol during a period where they were on an intentional weight loss plan?

Interesting theory bossman.

I don't know the answer, but there seems to be a link between those who have had gastric bypass surgery and alcoholism...

Keep us posted.

Comment

Boss.man;452144 wrote: I'm continuing my research on the chemistry of AL, how it affects the body and brain, in an attempt to understand what to do about it.

Last weekend I was working through the way the liver processes alcohol into acetelahyde, and then acetic acid (vinegar) and then acetone. Acetone can be burned by muscles for energy, just like they burn glucose and enzymes the liver makes from fat. Apparently the liver is able to keep a steady supply of acetone in the blood stream for many hours and even days after a drinking episode. So long after you wake up sober in the morning, your body may still be using energy from your prior nights, and even previous nights drinking.

It got me thinking of the association between dieting, a system of intentionally lowering your sucrose level to try to burn stored body fat, and craving for alcohol, being an energy source commonly obtained outside the diet.

Does drinking while on a diet increase alcohol dependence?

Does anyone have a feel in their own experience that they became more dependent, or more attached to alcohol during a period where they were on an intentional weight loss plan?
      I find your question interesting too.
      I have found yes that when I am dieting I have had more bingeing on alchol
      than I would otherwise. I have several thoughts regarding this. I do find that
      if I drink on an empty stomach or havent eaten much of course I get drunk
      quicker and then want to continue drinking indefinitely. But if I have something
      to eat and it is enough then I rarely want to continue drinking. It seems that
      drinking on an empty stomach fuels the alcohol into your system faster and
      leaves you wanting more and more. I've read a few books lately on carb
      sugar addictions and think there is a correlation there for me with all the sugar
      I consume when I drink as its usually wine, but thats another story! It could also
      be a feeling of deprivation whilst being on a diet that leads to excessive drinking
      the old reward system I'm so fond of using! i.e "I've been so good on my diet today,
      I'll reward myself with a drink."
      Anyway.....your acetone theory is very interesting, are you saying that you think
      the body craves an energy source due to reduced calories and is turning to acetone
      as it is not getting the energy from the diet? I'll be interested to hear further!
      Great thread!Pan

Comment

I do find that if I drink on an empty stomach or havent eaten much of course I get drunk quicker and then want to continue drinking indefinitely.
        Which is why I believe us gastric bypass patients can easily become alcoholics. Not only do we replace one addiction with another, we get drunk quicker and then want to keep drinking and drinking.

Also, I find that when I drink, I do not eat. I think there is something in me that does not want to gain my weight back, so drinking is subconsciously helping me stay thinner.

When I quit drinking, I tend to gain some weight.

Oh well. I would rather be fat than an alcoholic. That is for darned sure!!

Cinders
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Boss,

I have read and experienced that doing a low carb (such as South Beach Diet) greatly reduces craving alcohol. The science behind it basically says that reducing your daily food alcohol (sugar) levels reduces your craving for it... resulting in higher energy levels and less sugar crashes.

I have personally found this to be true, but it doesnt work if you do the diet and then drink at night.

Great thread!
          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

hi boss,always nc to read your posts,1989 i started to train for matathons,weighed 185 lbs,nov1/89 to dec7/lost lots of wt,30 lbs,157lbs,gyco diet,lol.vodka and seven up.does it answer your question ,yes it could,

Comment

sorry boss i forgot to say how much i started to drink rather then Eat,you are rt ,food is an energiser,diet,the BODY gets confused like the BRAIN when we drink,,AND IT WANTS MORE OF SOMTHING RATHER THEN THE FOOD WHY NOT THE aL WE GET A BETTR GLOW,like food and candy to a youngstster good food or the candy,wht wuld you choose hahah

Comment

I actually remember an old diet called "Martinis and Whipped Cream Diet." Very low carb.

Comment

I have tried various methods of eating to try to reduce the cravings- it does seem to me a large high protein meal before I start to drink pretty much does curb my drinking. But of course my drinking mind says, 'Well just have a couple first, then you can eat and won't want to drink more'...Of course subsequently I end up drinking many more and the eating bit is completely forgotten.

Comment

KTB;453079 wrote: I actually remember an old diet called "Martinis and Whipped Cream Diet." Very low carb.
                    That's funny!!!! The things we used to do are amazing....too bad this diet was unimaginably unhealthy!!!!!!
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

i stopped drinking as part of my diet last year. my personal observation is that al cravings went away after a few weeks. food cravings never went away. so now al is something i can truly take or leave (i may drink once and a while if theres a special occasion but i'm af most of the time) but i have a lot of trouble controlling my eating. which kinda sucked for me becasue all this time i was blaming al for my lack of progress in terms of my fitness goals and it turns out it was me all along. oh well, live and learn i guess. so i'm not cover material for mens fitness, but i got this control over al as a nice consolation prize. anyway once you have a few months af under your belt, if you're anything like me, liquor stores will be easy to pass up. fast food drive thru's or the bakery in grocery stores on the other hand...

hope this helps.

Comment

A healthy diet is really crucial for my sobriety. Sugar will really send me for a loop. Most of us Alkies have problems with our glucose levels and it can become worse when we quit drinking. So, keeping your levels steady through diet (no/low sugar), supplements (such as glutamine) and low carbs is key. I have been on a diet that is very low in carbs and high in protein (about 20% fat; 40% protein; and 40% carbs in the form of fruits, veggies, etc.). It has really helped alot.
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                        X