Help! Compulsion vs. Self-Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not physically addicted to alcohol or cigarettes, but I'm caught up in a compulsive cycle. Every third night or so, I smoke an entire pack of cigarettes and drink a six-pack of beer, all alone.

I'm not a social smoker - I only smoke during this time. I'm not much of a social drinker, either. I don't want to worry my friends or embarrass myself by getting soused in public, so if I'm out at a party or a bar, I'll either abstain or nurse my beers until they're warm and yucky, and eventually discard them.

It's every third night that kills me. I often turn that third night into a fourth, or fifth, or sixth by emptying my wallet of credit cards and only carrying $5 in cash so I can't buy beer or cigarettes on the way home. Or planning a project that will last all night, or making plans to meet friends to do something that doesn't involve alcohol.

During a successful night of not drinking, I'll congratulate myself. "See? You're happy and productive. You're enjoying yourself more tonight than you would be drinking beer all by yourself." In the morning, I'll stretch, yawn and make myself a cup of tea, then go rowing. While I'm out on the lake working up a sweat, I'll give myself a high-five for not having a hangover.

But I can't make plans or plan an all-night project every night. On nights when I don't have anything going on, I tell myself, "This is the last night I'll buy a six-pack, and I'll start fresh tomorrow." Or, "I didn't drink for six nights in a row. So if I drink tonight, I'll be able to go another six nights," even though I know it's not true.

Earlier this evening, I spent three hours rehearsing with my all-girl band. Right now, at this very moment, I'm surfing the web, and eating a packet of dry hot cocoa mix with a spoon. Once I close my browser, I'll watch an episode of the Sopranos, and then read a book until I go to bed. In the morning, I'll wake up at 7 AM and go rowing.

Life doesn't get any better than this! But every third night or so, some sick part of my brain tells me that I'd rather be all alone, slowly killing myself with nicotine and alcohol. When that part of my brain speaks up, it drowns out all of my better intentions.

Self-talk really works for me. On days when I'm not bored or tired or frustrated, I can talk myself down from my compulsion to drink and smoke. I might want to buy that six-pack, but I can win an argument with myself. "Hey, self! If you don't drink, I'll rent your favorite movie and take you rowing tomorrow!"

On the days when I already feel weak, I need a stronger argument. Any ideas??

Hey,
    If I had a suggestion for a stronger argument I'd tell you. I have a sick brain every 4 to 5 days too. I usually drink a 12 pack though, alone. I wish I could be more helpful.
    MM

Comment

Welcome Iwalktheline,

I was unfortunately a daily drinker so I never knew when to stop. I found reading the book My Way Out was the beginning to my journey, I highly recommend it. Whether it is abstaining all together or learing to moderate your drinking the book outlines the plan in a simple, no nonsense manner.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Welcome, Walk! I second DB's recommendation to read the MWO book. I would also question the usefulness of the "physical" addiction distinction that you are making; the central problem for those with alcohol dependence is the internally felt compulsion to drink, even when it is not good for us, and despite negative results. There are many physical processes that contribute to this situation. It's great that using self-talk is sometimes helpful for you; that's a fantastic tool. There are others, as well.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Thanks the the post, and it sounds like you have issues with the mental obsession that drinking alcohol bring on.

I was always a weekend binge drinker, but the key for me was that once I had that first drink in me, I always wanted more and had a difficult time stopping on my own (and always felt guilty the next day).

Start with the book and read some of the posts here. Most likely you will relate to some or all of them, and the book offers some good insight as to creating a plan to help you reach your goals.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

I have the same issue, it is like a compulsive habit. Except I usually drink everyday and smoke while doing it. I am addicted to the "treat" of going out and having cocktails at the end of the day. I am trying hard to break this habit too. I don't have any real advice just wanted to sympathize.

Comment

I have OCD. What I have done is replace one addiction with another. I now have this need to excercise everyday! It's a tough road and you need to find what works for you. Best of luck and keep posting and asking.

Mich.
              :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
              AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Hi Iwalktheline

I don't have any useful advice to you- just that I can relate, as many others here can.

It does sound like your drinking is still under some control however- it is obviously an emotional thing rather than physical at the moment.

How about keeping a notepad around and making a note of what you are feeling on those days when you cave?

It might give you a clue on what makes you 'slip'.

:welcome:

Comment

Working...
                X