Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cautiously Intrigued

:new:
    I've recently come to the conclusion that my drinking is out of control and need to, at a minimum, get a handle on it. As the child of two alcoholics, I have seen how drinking can effect parenting first hand. I don't want my own children to grow up with the same issues I experienced, OR with the impression that "Mom does it, why can't we??"
    My husband and I both feel that things like AA are not for us, that we don't have THAT kind of problem, but I know that is probably a combination of denial and pride. Logically I know that AA is for all walks of life and all degrees of alcoholism but for whatever reason, we don't feel comfortable going that route.
    I am intrigued by the information I have read about My Way Out, but I have always been cautious about taking unregulated herbal supplements. While Eastern medicine has utilized these treatments for centuries, for some reason I take more comfort in the FDA.
    I understand the recommendation that anyone considering the MWO approach check with their doctors before beginning but are there any particular health issues that are cautioned against using this method? For example, I currently take antidepressants and medication for GERD and ADHD (I'm a red hot mess!) and would be concerned about anything contraindicated between these.
    Can anyone direct me to any information that would help direct me further before I proceed with MWO?
    Thanks in advance,
    M

Cautiously Intrigued

Welcome M!

Firstly, well done on taking the first step! Secondly I would recommend reading the book MWO (if you haven't already).
    I am not sure of the consequences with mixing your meds, personally I would try and get my Doctor on board with the MWO program. I know it's hard and embarressing to tell someone face to face your AL problems but I found once I had sucked up the courage to speak to my Doctor she was my biggest supporter!
    Both my daughter and husband are ADD so I can only imagine what you go through. I must say tho that we control thier ADD mostly by diet and suppliments and use the meds (Ritalin) only as and when needed.

Wishing you all the best on your journey!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Mariposa, welcome. As to drug interactions, since you are getting prescriptions already from one or more docs for the GERD and ADHD, the best route (as you know) would be to consult with them, or with a pharmacist.... there are online sites also that you can use to check out known drug interactions with supplements of various kinds.

One thing this program can help you with that does not involve supplements and medication is support for a commitment to stop drinking. Some people learn to engage in moderate drinking, but most find that they are very happy with a life totally free from alcohol consumption. Either way, you will get a lot of support and information here, with no need for some of the aspects of AA that you may not want.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Mari, if you read my last post in AF Army today, you will see I'm the poster child for anything that can go wrong will. Won't list all my ailments or meds, but I finally sought out and talked to a doc, who was wonderfully supportive. If they're not, move on. YOU hire THEM. I too feel more comfortable that way with all my meds. Tried AA, it just wasn't for me. MWO hits the spot. I didn't say to my doc, 'I'm an alcoholic'. I said 'I used to drink heavily, I trying not to again, and I've read and researched this anti-craving drug has had success in off-label use in this area. Will you help me try it?' It worked. Let us know how it works for you!!!!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

((((Mariposa))))

I can't add anything to those above but just wanted to add my :welcome:

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Mariposa,
            I am also dealing with similar issues you describe, prescription for GERD, prescription for depression issues and a prescription for mis use of alcohol. I just had a sit down with my Dr. and told him the truth what was going on and he as one poster states above became one of my biggest supporters. I take Zegrid for the GERD, Cymbalta for depression issues and Campral alcohol issues and so far no reactions to mixing. Good luck and I hope this helped.
            AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
            As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Welcome mariposa

:welcome:

Just want to say hello & hope you stay on board with us. And to second what wip posted above

A Work in Progress;454101 wrote: One thing this program can help you with that does not involve supplements and medication is support for a commitment to stop drinking. Some people learn to engage in moderate drinking, but most find that they are very happy with a life totally free from alcohol consumption. Either way, you will get a lot of support and information here...

best wishes,

wip
              :sun:

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Mariposa,

:welcome:

I agree with everything everyone has said. If you can at all talk to your doctor, please do. It is for your safety. Many are afraid to because of insurance issues, having alcoholism on the dx. If you have a really good rapport with your family GP, perhaps you could request that dx not be used.

Also, it really is important to read the book. This program is multi-faceted. It does not just address the issues of staying sober by will and prayer, it uses medications, supplements, this forum, hypnosis and exercise.

It is all outlined in the book.

You can download the book from this website. It is very inexpensive, about the price of a bottle of wine.

Some people on this site have done all the things, some people don't do any of the things and just use the forum as their virtual non-12 step AA. You can choose any combination you want. It can truly be Your Way Out.

I am glad you found us. I believe you can achieve your goal, be it moderating or going abstinent. Only you can decide which is the best for you and your husband can decide what is best for him, then you can make a good plan and follow it.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I plan to make a positive move today, either download the book or maybe even order the whole shebang starter kit.
                  Like the old saying goes, if you do what you've always done, ya get whatcha always got.
                  Perhaps this is a "Change I Need"
                  I'll also check with my doc next week--I know she'll be supportive but I guess I figure once i tell her then I have to really do something about it.
                  Yeaaah, no more denial at that point.

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Best of luck, Mariposa! Yep, once you ask for prof. help, they will be interested in following up, which is a good thing. Glad you're here, glad you're ready!
                    Rubes
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Cautiously Intrigued

Mariposa;457569 wrote: Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I plan to make a positive move today, either download the book or maybe even order the whole shebang starter kit.
                      Like the old saying goes, if you do what you've always done, ya get whatcha always got.
                      Perhaps this is a "Change I Need"
                      I'll also check with my doc next week--I know she'll be supportive but I guess I figure once i tell her then I have to really do something about it.
                      Yeaaah, no more denial at that point.
                      You said it! Good for you. Keep posting, and tell us how it's going, OK?

wip

Comment

Working...
                      X