Sobriety as a gift. A new perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my thanks to AWIP for pointing me to a great website that opened this perspective up to me.
    recommended talks specifically the talk on Right Action and "not taking intoxicants".

typically when we first go AF and then re-enter the social scene we feel awkward at best. We feel like outcasts at worst...like there is a sign over our head saying "loser" or something. We can thank our addictive voice for this wretched illusion. It's important to grasp that all the ego-based insults the beast can throw at us are ALL illusions. Illusions to shame us into jumping back on the bus to hell.

Imagine at this hypothetical party there is another person there that is struggling with al. The very fact that you are there sober could be a HUGE gift to them. They may enjoy great peace and comfort in talking to you without booze on your breath. Just seeing you there standing tall with a soda in your hand could be salvation to them. They likely wont' bring up the issue of al as they are still learning to identify their own additive voice, but you are still helping them. And you may well be helping others there that ARE drinking. To see you there smiling and interacting without drinking may open up their eyes....even a little bit.

so be proud and hold your head high. the simple act of you being present, without al is indeed a gift to people of all walks of life. Especially children who sadly get a lot of thier role models from Hollywood these days. (ick!).

Say it loud.....I'm AF and proud!
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Wow Det, thanks. I have not put myself in that situation except once or twice. And yes, I did feel very awkward or felt I should order a drink to fit in. Next time.....I will remember your words. I'm AF and proud

Thanks a lot. Nice to think of it in a new way.
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful post :h
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Thanks Det. Great post! Great link, too!
        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

What a great perspective! I am all about changing what I call the "stinkin thinkin" and grabbing a hold of my negative thoughts/ false perceptions and replacing them with the truth and a new perspective.

So thanks for another great tool for the thinking box!
          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Det, you are spot on with your comments. Feeling like we are being 'labeled' because we are not drinking at a party is something that we do to ourselves, not something others do to us, and it can (as you said) rob us of an opportunity to be helpful to someone who is suffering.
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

D, that makes perfect sense to me.
              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thanks Det
                I have not had a drink at a family party since the late 80's and that is truly a Gift to my family. No one likes the change in my personality when I drink.
                "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Thank you Det. I struggle with the thought of nights out. But what you say is true, we could actually help someone by being sober. Thank you. I will remember that
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I like this, Det. Definitely a different spin on the issue -- it isn't always about ME. (Kinda like what One2Many's "The Awakening" said.)

Comment

Wow, great turn around thinking! Thank you for sharing. Makes me somehow FEEL GOOD now to know maybe I will be helping someone!

Mich
                      :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
                      AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Great post Det. I love ya!
                        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

What a wonderful way of looking at things. I think your post is fantastic and will encourage others to remain AF at a social gathering. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

There are many MANY people that socialize withouth drinking....and socialize on a regualr basis. It is within our own heads...I live in the bible belt of the US, many gatherings actually look down upon you if you are drinking.
                            Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Thanks! Great audio as well. Perfect timing as I have been struggling with this very subject.
                              "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Working...
                              X