Sobriety as a gift. A new perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thnx Det, I kinda like being able to say no thanks and be a watcher.
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Thanks Det,

When I stopped drinking, I was petrified of going out socially where there would be drinking. As a matter of fact, I just decided to avoid it all together. I soon realized that no one cared that I wasn't drinking except for me. And, as Brit pointed out, I became aware of how many people were not drinking anyhow (or drinking very little which is a novel concept for me).

Anyhow, I love thinking that my nondrinking can be a contribution/gift to others who may be struggling to.

Be well,
      M03
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

Det, that's a great perspective. It reminds me of the wonderful Ghandi quote:
        "Be the change you want to see in the world."
        If I want to be in a world (even my own little corner of the world) that is not filled with a lot of alcohol consumption... part of getting there is to start with myself, and take that out into the world, as well!

wip

Comment

I know I have an (O.K. MUCH) older perspective on the social scene than most others, but to me, the man who is sober in the midst of mayhem stands taller, looks wiser. The woman, more graceful, more mysterious, more unattainable. Aren't these standards we would rather have than 'party animal'??
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I totally agree with you Rubes. But for me going out was always a nerve wracking process and I thought I needed a drink to get through it.
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
            X