Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone tried to scam me! This is a warning to others!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are truly amazing, are they not?

Yesterday I decided to put my motorcycle up for sale on Craigslist. I got a hit, so I replied to the email address from where it came. Here's the reply that I got from this individual ~

"Ok Got it i will like to purchase as it is, and like to make the payment asap and the payment we be via cashiers check that i will send to you so get to me with your name and address to write the check out.And concerning the shipping i will handle the shipping via my shipping company so all i need to do now is to send you a check of excess fund so you can deduct your
    money and send the excess to my shipping who is currently in bay area for the pick at your residence after the check clears to my house here in Florida so get back to me with the info to send the check out.please contact me now for immediate arrangement
    Thanks
    Am happy doing business with you."

Now, first of all, this person quite obviously uses ESL (English as Second Language) which is not a bad thing, but it set off a warning bell for me. Second of all, why in the hell would someone living in FLORIDA want to buy a motorcycle from someone in ALASKA? 'Nuther warning bell right there. Then lets take a look at the fact that his "shipping company" is in the bay area. Really, do I look like I live anywhere near the bay area (that's San Fransisco, California for those that may not know) Finally, it was the "excess funds" transferal that made me realize just what was going on here.

For those of you that may not know it, this is a huge scam where they send you a check for excess funds and ask you to deposit it in your account and send them a check for the overage amount. The bank, being smart, will hold the check and when it doesn't clear, they send it back. Of course, if you sent them money, it's tough luck baby. Not to mention the fact that they now have your bank account information. Scary stuff, man...

So, end result is that I have reported this individual to The Internet Fraud Complaint Center for processing. I don't really hope to get much personally from it, but perhaps my complaint was the one more they needed to go after this person. I hope so anyway.

On the bad side, the son-of-a-bitch got my email address.
    :teeter:

Wow.. this is a scam. My husband sees it in his business where people try to buy large amounts of product either with cashiers check or sequential credit card numbers. The check will actually come back in 30 to 45 days as a bad check and you will lose the money. It happens every day, sadly. Thankfully, we have some guys in the office who recognize this stuff really well!

I mean seriously, who would buy a motorcyle in Alaska when they live in Florida and can buy one there? Unless it is some sort of vintage motorcyle that is really worth it!
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Gypsi--

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I was selling a camper. They actually sent me a cashier's check for $4000 over the price I was asking. Then the "shipper" sent me an e-mail telling me where to send the $4000 so he could arrange shipping (to the UK!). This is becoming a pretty popular scam. By the time the cashier's check "bounces" they have your money, and you are liable for the bad cashier's check. I turned mine into my bank and the Feds.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Gypsy, when my son was looking for an apt on Craiglist and he was promised a lovely apt. for a "houseminding fee", of course, we had to send a check to Nigeria first. We contacted the scam artist to tell them we he had contacted the FBI and Homeland Security. There were no further contacts from them.

Maybe that warning will prevent them from using your email again.

Good Luck.
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Prest4time;454812 wrote: I mean seriously, who would buy a motorcyle in Alaska when they live in Florida and can buy one there? Unless it is some sort of vintage motorcyle that is really worth it!
          That was pretty much my feeling too. It's just an ordinary bike, '03 Yami V-Star.
          :teeter:

Comment

Hi fellow Alaskan,
            Thanks for the info on the scam, I get calls for my business from the "hearing impaired" from a third party service to order a product. Usually to be shipped to someplace like Columbia or somewhere...like helllooo, they can't get it any closer? duh? That, and it comes from a "Reverand somebody" pisses me off. Now I just hang up. There are so many scams, you have to be so careful.

Thanks for posting
            :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

I listen to Clark Howard on the radio and he always alerts his listeners to the latest scams. It is good radio if interested.

Glad your warning bells went off gypsi!

Comment

Gypsi, I had a similar experience on petfinder.com last year. I was trying to find a local home for 3 kittens and I received several messages such as yours to ship the kittens! I removed the ad, reported to petfinder, and kept the kittens.
                :l
                LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Working...
                X