How many times did you go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to the Dr's for depression, anxiety, anger issues, etc.....only to be fed Zoloft (didn't work)....Xanax (LOVED IT) but didn't want to become addicted....and any other medication to help with these symptoms?

And then you find, when your AF, the depression lifts....the anger subsides....and the anxiety drops down to a dealable level.

I guess I knew deep in my heart, alot of it was the alcohol, but didn't want to give that up.

Silly me....
    "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Very common, indeed! Most people don't want to tell their physicians the truth about their drinking, and most physicians are not skilled at asking, nor do they take the time to make the patient comfortable enough to tell the truth, NOR do they tell the patient that the SSRIs (zoloft, paxil, prozac, lexapro, etc.) will probably not work well (possibly not at all) while one is drinking heavily.

Comment

I need the Lexapro and the low dose extended release Xanax....I just don't need the Pinot Grigio, atleast not in the quantities I seem to think I need. Alcohol does make depression worse but being sober does not solve all of my problems. Being sober just makes life better : )
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

My doc told me to have some wine and chill out!!
        Anyway I took the prozac, stopped drinking and feel much better now!
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Oh!!! I agree! I believe sober doesn't solve everyones problems, and didn't mean to assume so. So sorry if I sounded so flip. I too, after more days sober, may need some help and won't hesitate to go back to the Dr's and ask.

I was just that I never considered (or wanted to consider) that these "symptoms" I was having were in large part to drinking. I just wanted a pill to make them go away, not quit drinking. As always, I was looking for a "quick fix" to my issues!!

Where the hell is that "happy" pill to make life perfect!!!???!!!???
          "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Comment

when you find it pan let me know!

Comment

I went to a well woman clinic 12 years ago. I was asked how much I drank. I lied. This 100 unit a week drinker said, 'Oh I only drink around the recommended maximum of 14 units.' I confessed my drinking this year but only after I'd got it down to around 25 units.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

me too vlad I was just a social drinker. Mind u I was very social after a few!

Comment

I'm prone to bouts of melancholy which I believed and mistook as depression many times in the past. Add drinking to the equasion and YES the world seemed like a depressing place most of the time. Only when I stopped drinking did I manage to get some kind of perspective on the melancholy. I stopped the Anti-D's early this year and haven't felt the need to go back on them since. Even recently when I was feeling very low. Good mental health is the key to my recovery (for want of a better word).

I think though like you say sometimes we don't want to admit we have to change our habits for fear of change in the first place. It's much easier to blame everything and everybody else for our drinking rather than make the changes in our own lives. Seems like too much hard work sometimes!!

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
                  X