Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Did You Enjoy Most About Drinking?

Good evening.

I am using the tools of this web site, along with the tools from Smart Recovery. One of the first questions in the homework is: "What did you enjoy most about your addition?"

So I am asking others here what they enjoyed most.

For me, it was the ability to turn off my harsh inner critic. My mother was abusive, always cutting me down. So I developed a pretty poor self image. I think there was a steady stream of negative self chatter in my mind, which I call my Thought Monster, always putting myself down. In the sober world, there is no escaping Mr. Thought Monster. The irony is that I appear to be very successful, two Ivy league degrees, etc. But Mr. Thought Monster told me I was just fooling people.

The alcohol was a way to turn off Mr. Thought Monster. (Of course, it turned off my entire brain! But desperate steps for desperate people.) I drank to get drunk, to turn off the negative self chatter in my head. A break from my inner tyrant. What a wonderful relief it was!

I am interested in the experiences of others.

Thanks.

Hi keeptrying.
    My comprehension of the word "enjoyment" has completely changed since I quit drinking. In hindsight, I enjoyed nothing at all about drinking........I was just too drunk each and every night to realise that at the time.

Star x
    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Hmmm. I agree that drinking does more harm than good for those of use who cannot stop at one. But we knew that rationally, and continued to do it.

There is some benefit we derived. The feeling of ease at the sip of the first drink. A sense of warmth and relaxation.

But the costs were way too high to have made it a good choice.

Comment

I honestly believe that "sense of warmth and relaxation" was all in my mind.........drink had me in a deluded state.

These days, I`d happily settle for a big, handsome hunk for my warmth and relaxation........let me know if there`s any cute ones going spare around your way, would you please??!!! :H

Star x

Comment

Starlight Impress Forever;459806 wrote: I honestly believe that "sense of warmth and relaxation" was all in my mind.........drink had me in a deluded state.

These days, I`d happily settle for a big, handsome hunk for my warmth and relaxation........let me know if there`s any cute ones going spare around your way, would you please??!!! :H

Star x
          DITTO!!!
          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

I drank because I thought it enhanced my personality. I liked the "high" it gave me. Alcohol took all my worries away. I also liked (I'm sure I still do), the tast of vodka and red wine. When I drank, I went into la, la land. Everything in my world felt "just wonderful".
            September 23, 2011

Comment

At first it made me more relaxed in social settings. As the years went on, though, and I drank more and more, I became more of a recluse, wanting to drink alone or only at restaurants. I liked the buzz at the beginning, then I just didn't stop, I was like a robot. Pour another drink, pour another drink, until the bottle was empty. It's changed over the years, as I've aged. That's why I'm here.
              Be
              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Absolutely nothing. Never did anything good for me. Only bad.
                BH

Comment

I keep trying, but for the life of me can't think of anything I like about drinking. But thats the "new me" talking. The old me could have probably given you a list a mile long.

Comment

Curious about Smart Recovery now, is it like MWO?

Comment

This is the kind of exercise that can be helpful IF it is paired with an exercise one does at the same time, in which we list the things that we do (or did) NOT like about drinking.... done all by itself, it can all too easily turn into the kind of thinking that will serve to encourage us to drink. Not such a great idea, in my opinion!

wip

Comment

akgirl;459838 wrote: Curious about Smart Recovery now, is it like MWO?
                        Smart Recovery is a very good non-AA treatment program. In some places they have face-to-face meetings; and they have excellent online tools that encourage healthy thinking patterns and self-understanding about alcohol. I think they have online meetings, too. Google it; it's easy to find! A lot of MWO people have found some things there that are very helpful!

wip

Comment

What drink lends to us is all a matter of romantic illusion.......being sober, I can understand and appreciate that now. Alcohol deceives us and tricks us into thinking we somehow gain through it. There is nothing to gain.........alcohol incessantly takes from us until there is absolutely nothing left to take, unless we find the strength to abandon the drunken life before it destroys us. No........the enjoyment of alcohol is nothing more than illusion.

Star x

Comment

Star... I could not agree more with what you just said! The incessant advertising by the alcohol industry contributes at lot to the false beliefs that drinking alcohol is always fun, makes every event MORE fun, has no negative consequences, makes us skinnier and richer and better looking.... and so on!

wip

Comment

I think you made a very good point, WIP. Attempting to recall what we enjoyed about alcohol could well lead some be tempted once more.........

Not me though, `cos.........I now know that I never truly enjoyed it.......am serious!!! :H

Star x

Comment

Working...
                              X