Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Hangover The Reason To Stop Drinking

Hi All
    Just a thought .So many of us can't take how miserable we make ourselves feel the day after drinking.I think you have to ask yourself

If their were no hangovers would I still stop.

I now want to face life sober the good and the bad. I don't want to hide in the haze and not deal with the reasons I started drinking.

I don't want to be buzzed anymore.I want control of my life and to be in the best shape to make decisions that effect my life and others

The hangover is your body telling you no more.After breaking the al grip it is my mind that no longer wants the buzz. People here told me it would get easier the longer you are away from al. I didn't believe them but it does it has .I will not let my guard down.I will not go back

Stay healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

caysea, that's a good question. I've thought about it before: What if there were a really good cure for hangovers? Would I want to drink, would I let myself start drinking again?

NO. Hangovers were not the reason I quit. My hangovers were not very bad at the end, anyway; partly because I just felt pretty lousy all the time, and my drinking was a fairly constant (but very large) daily amount.

I quit drinking because it was destroying me: mentally, physically, and spiritually...

wip

Comment

Caysea, interesting post but I guess that I learned to tolerate the hangovers at some point in my life.

The real problem was, even when they were bad, they would eventually go away after a couple of days and my mind we forget the pain that I felt (or at least take a little off around the edges). I would then start the cycle all over again because I 'felt better' and figured that I just wouldn't drink as much this time around.

Yeah right....
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Good question Caysea--will be interested to see the responses! I wonder if early on in this journey my answer might have been yes. And I will admit, the thought a self-induced feeling of crap scares the hell out of me. But it's more than that now. I LIKE being sober for all kinds of reasons--many of which have already been mentioned.
        And you're right--it DOES get much easier!!! At least it has for me.
        Thank you for starting this thread!:h
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi caysea,
          I think a bad hangover may well act as a deterent for a little while, perhaps for quite a while. Before I quit, I sometimes did go a few days without drinking if I had a particularly bad alcohol induced bout of sickness. But just as soon as I felt even slightly better, the party animal in me always resurfaced and I was back to getting sloshed........latest hangover well and truly forgotten.

I think to stay quit........we need to wholeheartedly want to live sober, through both the good times and the bad.

Star x
          Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Working...
          X