Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Tell Yourself When You Get the Urge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning,

I know that what I tell myself when I get the urge determines whether or not I will drink.

The lies I tell myself when I give myself permission to drink include: "You have been so good for x months," "It will only be one," "No one will know," "This is a special situation, you deserve a drink."

When I am able to stave off my urges, I tell myself, "You will so regret it tomorrow," "It is never just one drink," and "No matter how bad things get, it is better to face them sober."

I am wondering what others tell themselves.

Thanks

I tell myself off. goes like this

that is so disgusting and embarrasing that you want to go out to the local dive and just sit there like a loser and spend your last $40.00 getting retarded drunk. lowlife!
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I tell myself its not worth it. It will end up just how it does everytime.
      MM

Comment

No arguing inside my head, no putting myself down (urges/cravings are normal and nothing to condemn oneself for!).

Just this: "I don't drink."

wip

Comment

LOL Trixie!!

AWIP I like your's very much.

I would add that I remind myself that AL showed no mercy ravaging my mind and body. I will show no mercy in defeating this cruel foe.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Don't hold back Trixie....LMAO...
            Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

I copied the following excerpt from my personal journal notes fom this past Sunday:

'When the kids were little they would whine for a candy before dinner or other things that were inappropriate. As their mom I would say "no". I have a little kid voice inside me. When that little kid voice starts to whine and say "I want a margarita (glass of wine, beer, etc)" my "mom voice" must step in and say "no". Mom is in charge. She is the adult.'

Seemed appropriate to share here.

periwinkle :bigwink:
              Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

yaaar
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I ask myself why I want to feel hungover the next day, and so damn thirsty. Why I want to waste the money. Why I want to forget what I did with my family that night. Why? Nah, I guess I don't want to drink after all.
                  "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

SAME!!

I ask myself the same question, but not daily, now and again when the urge comes on. I tell myself many things, but I remember that alcohol is a demon and it wants my soul. Does it work?? Sometimes!!!

Comment

I tell myself one won't hurt or bother anything. Then 5 later I realize I am not in control. That is the memory I sear into my brain that I am not a 1 drink person, and I don't want to be a drunk. My family is a reminder for me, they don't deserve to have this toxic person in their lives they deserve the best. That is what I am trying to be
                      M

Comment

I saw an alternative therapist last week, and we went through my self talk when I am going to have a drink. It is always the same- 'One will be OK', or 'One or two won't hurt'.

She has told me to repeat a mantra- ONE IS NOT OK!

Comment

Where is this going to get me? It's going to lead to disaster. Something bad will happen. It's just not worth it. I"m going to regret this tomorrow. One drink is going to lead to another. Don't do it.... Just don't do it.
                          September 23, 2011

Comment

Reenie just said it..

It's not worth it !!
                            I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                            One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Working...
                            X