OK HERES THE NEXT QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so here are the holidays.. theres are going to be alot of party going on .. good food , good conv going around the room and yes there probly al around the house .. so what does that mean to you .?? how do you want to handle it . now it been said many times .. that we are very smart people .. and al just being out the best and worst out of people and for me it just bring out .. the worst and i know it .. there for i will be doing the same as last year just enjoying to good food and conv with my family and friends ..sober and i know it can be testy at times .. but there is one thing to remember you can walk and talk the same without al in your body..
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

For me its going to be difficult, but from previously doing it, i know what I have to do. I will not be going out to any parties, to any pubs or anywhere where everyone is drinking. Theres no option for me. I will cook good food at home, and those friends who are real 'friends' will come over.
    This year is going to be especially difficult for me as i dont have my daughter over Christmas. She is going to Lapland from the 23rd to the 28th, so will be relying on family, friends and a strong will power to get me through. It will be my first MWO christmas, so that will be good!
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

This year will be my very first sober Christmas.
      Limey has promised me it will be one I will never forget...now should I be worried Limers???
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

This will be my second Christmas celebrated in sobriety and for that I am grateful.

For me, it all goes back to that fundamental physic change that I have brought up before. Changing who I am mentally means that my whole outlook upon life is different and the thought of drinking isn't appealing anymore - even around the holidays.

That is not to say that I don't think about it from time to time - I would be on a very slippery slope if I thought I was cured forever or that the drinking would never enter my head again. It just means that I approach them with a healthy respect but thankfully no 'white knuckles.'
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Me and my kids r having a good holiday season for the first time in awhile....No booze involved
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

startingover;462427 wrote: This year will be my very first sober Christmas.
            Limey has promised me it will be one I will never forget...now should I be worried Limers???
            Start....you will never forget it, lets just leave it at that!:H

Comment

I am gonna lay low and keep the holidays SIMPLE.I am so happy with my sobriety and won't do anything to compromise it.
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

This will be a first for me, but I'm thinking it won't be too bad, if I just make it through a challenging Thanksgiving holiday/50th birthday bash at my SIL's.
                I'm thinking I will gain about 5 pounds because I will be eating instead of drinking!!
                Maybe I should start some craft projects to keep my hands busy too!!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

hmmmm two questions:

-what does it mean to you?

before holidays were largely an excuse to drink and eat too much. sad, and selfish but true. i think this year will be more of a 'true' spirit of the holidays time for me. a time to care for others and be a genuine warm sober person and true friend.

-how do you want to handle it?

ok, the hard part. we are having a party at our house for NY's eve and since our house is small, and our friends drink wine the house will smell like wine which is my weakness. I know I can do this though....I will immerse myself in being true to my new sober self, and in cooking up many great things. I don't think I could have done this last year, but this year I'm up for the challenge.
                  and I'm NOT going to be a bummer and feel sorry for myself and be a sad puppy. I'm going to be happy and outgoing. so there!
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

I remember last year was the first year I didn't drink on New Year's Eve. I started the new year by going for a walk in the sunny snowy crisp air. I had a CD playing and it was the best way to begin a new year ever. I'm doing that again. No doubt.

Be
                    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

im lost are starting and limer a unit hahha,man head ache hahahaha ,man flu hahahaha

Comment

comon smone help me

Comment

Gyco (Poet), what kind of help do you need? You, like I, know we are quitting because we have to, our bodies and minds can't take it any more, and don't want to. I want to be myself again, not a joke, an embarrassment, but mostly a blank or incapable of doing the things I used to do. Time and medical probs have done enough of that! And as far as differently, since we're going down a holiday thread, this will be like the holidays of my younger days. There was NEVER, EVER alcohol served, or allowed at family functions as long as my parents lived. Since then, EVERY one has, with my brother, sister, children, Hubs, self, neices, nephews, guests, ...you get the idea, all drinking. This year will be AL FREE. Enjoy the food. Find your spirits in our family fellowship, or down the road! That what you mean, Gy?
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

The past couple of years the holidays have been difficult. Last year my husband was so drunk he almost demolished the decorations, it was the first time my daughters had seen him this bad. This year he promised will be different, he has been AL free for a few weeks and he is determined to stay on Topa throughout the holidays, for extra help.
                            I will miss the wonderful homemade eggnog, but I am not trading anything for his sobriety.
                            Luckily, we will be spending the holidays away from our permanent home I think a change of scenery will be helpful for all to forget the previous Christmas. I love Christmas and I am convinced it will be a happy one. Wishing the same to all.

Comment

This will be my second holiday season AF and I remember the threads from last year addressing this "problem".....

We (and when I say we, I mean us and The Beast), tend to let the holidays somehow be some sort of an excuseable loophole to drink...when in fact, it is not....so you have to go into the holidays being what you are...a non-drinker. I know the thought of this scares those of you who are doing it for the first time, but believe me, it is so worth it.

We have decided to quit drinking....that means we quit drinking. The time of year, day of week, happy times, sad times.....all have nothing to do with whether we drink or not. We already made that decision.

So don't let The Beast put drinking on the table......it is not on the table. All The Beast wants you to do is "just consider" taking a drink....after all, it is the holidays......wink, wink....

It's all in your frame of mind.......you will look back on your first holiday season AF with great pride and clear memories...

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X