Do You Deserve a Drink, Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't count the number of times I have seen someone come here and write a post in which s/he says that s/he has relapsed, or "slipped," because s/he had been doing well for a while, and decided that s/he "deserved" a drink.

And our alcoholic thinking does this to us. It totally bypasses the memory of the devastation, humiliation, and destruction that alcohol has brought into our lives, and it presents alcohol as a GOOD thing, a prize, a reward, something we want to give ourselves for a job well done.

I wrote a post a few days ago, about this way of thinking, but it was kind of buried in another thread. And I saw people talking about "deserving a drink," again today. What I wrote about was about changing our way of thinking from this self-destructive "Deprivation Mode" to a winning, successful, positive "Gratitude Mode." Here it is:

I don't think we can begin to truly grow into a successful, lifetime, AF plan until we have managed to make the shift in our thinking from the "Deprivation Mode" to the "Gratitude Mode."

In Deprivation Mode, we think alcohol is a good thing that we are being deprived of. We are sad, and grieve the loss of what had felt like a friend to us. We consider it a treat that we never get to give ourselves again. We are envious of others who "get to drink."

In Gratitude Mode, we recognize that alcohol is (for us, because of our brain structure, genetics, physiology, etc.) a toxin, a poison, something that nearly destroyed us. Mentally, physically, and spiritually. We recognize that we have the most amazing opportunity to rid ourselves of something that makes us very sick in all those ways. We recognize the craziness of voluntarily damaging our brains, minds, bodies, families, jobs, futures. We are really, really grateful for that opportunity, and we guard it and cultivate it carefully.

Most of us start a recovery program in deprivation mode. Some people stay there forever. Those people tend not to be able to create a consistently successful program, or life, of freedom from alcohol and its devastation. Some of us transition into gratitude mode.

For most of us, Gratitude Mode does not just happen all by itself. We have to make it happen. If we want to shift into gratitude mode, we learn to cultivate it. We cultivate it by being careful about our thoughts, and about what we notice. If we find ourselves thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a drink, we deliberately shift attention away from this train of thought, and we deliberately choose to think about how good it is to know we will never humiliate ourselves with alcohol again, never again have another horrible hangover, never disappoint our children again with the way we are when we get drunk. We notice alcohol advertising, pay attention to how it makes us feel, and detach from the message by noticing how distorted the message is.

That kind of thing is crucial. We literally can BUILD a new way of thinking and feeling about things. And I think that's something to be grateful for, in itself!

wip

WIP I have to say you are one of the most constructive head strong people I know. Thanks for this post is was good to read.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Very good post.
      My "mood" is "Grateful" from now on!!

:lNancy
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Another great, meaninfull post. Food for thought indeed wip. thankyou.
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

hi wip,as hippie said,you have a way with words,i hope it was not a thread i did,i tht after a while of being here all was well,stll the same world,the world will nt change for us,or the comments tht some make here,you seem to have a mission, and tht is a good mission,i noticed your sobriety date,july 22/08,just food for tht,mine was and has been,july1/1985,this journey never ends,dates mean nothing,its when you get up in the morning in my case ,and not think about it,beleive me when i say,ive been in and out of programs for years,stay here ,i think this place is the solution,your freind gyco

Comment

WIP, I did see that other post but didn't take the chance to reply. Great perspective. I'm also changing my mood to grateful. Not that I have stopped "learning" which has been my mood for the past few months.

A couple of weeks ago a guest pastor used a book in her sermon, 14,000 reasons to be grateful (or something close to that). I imagine it is available at Amazon.com. It made me think about beginning a daily log of things to be grateful for. I haven't started this yet, but it is still in my thoughts, probably could be good part of my recovery.

No, I don't "deserve" a drink today or any other day. But I can occasionally enjoy a glass or two with dinner.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That is such an interesting post wipster. When I first quit, I thought and did feel deprived for quite a while. Now, even though I am going through a truly horrible time, I am SO grateful that I no longer drink. Oh yes, recently at times I have REALLY wanted one, but the feeling goes pretty rapidly when I fully accept that I am simply not going to have one.
              I am grateful that I am going through this sober and that is a good feeling.
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Very nice wip.....
                I know we discussed this over in ab's and it's great you brought it over here to general.

This style of thinking goes along with Allen Carr's "Easy Way" method. This time when I quit smoking, I really wanted to be able to do so and never look back or wish I COULD smoke the rest of my life. Between his book, and the MWO program, I truly think that is possible whether it's quitting drinking or smoking. It just takes time and practice.

:thanks:
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

WIP.

thanks very much for this - I've been feeling much more determined this time around, but I've been noticing the thoughts in my head of the "deservedness" of "just one". Friday it was that I deserved on because I'd worked so hard all week and had got lots done. Saturday it was because I'd been out dong election day stuff from 8am - 7pm and I deserved one. Last night it was because had had a nice day catching up on some relaxation and I deserved one. I caught myself the other day thinking about Xmas and what I would be doing, and how I might have a glass of bubbles because I would be AF for 7 weeks by then and would REALLY deserve one!!

A Work in Progress;464140 wrote:
                  For most of us, Gratitude Mode does not just happen all by itself. We have to make it happen. If we want to shift into gratitude mode, we learn to cultivate it. We cultivate it by being careful about our thoughts, and about what we notice. If we find ourselves thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a drink, we deliberately shift attention away from this train of thought, and we deliberately choose to think about how good it is to know we will never humiliate ourselves with alcohol again, never again have another horrible hangover, never disappoint our children again with the way we are when we get drunk. We notice alcohol advertising, pay attention to how it makes us feel, and detach from the message by noticing how distorted the message is.
                  I agree with you on this - and also with LVT's reference to Allen Carr's book. When I first read that many moons ago it was a bit of a revelation to think that if I turned my thinking around I could make the negative connotations "giving up" a positive experience of "becoming free".

I'm struggling with being able to do it at the moment though ..... figure I'm just going to have to keep practicing until I really believe it!!
                  Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

WIP
                    Excellent thread - really got me thinking - I know i'm one of those people who is guilty of using the phrase that I "deserve a drink today".

Your explanation got me thinking, I feel its a bit like "grief" where you have to go through different grief phases when a relationship of any kind comes to an end and you have to move through each phase to get on to the next in order to live with it or at least learn to be happy in yourself again. Its just the same with ending a relationship with alcohol, you need to move from the deprivation mode to the gratitude mode and those that are not able to do this will either fail time and time again or else will succeed by sheer willpower but me miserable all their life.

Comment

Wip,
                      What an excellent post..Lifesaving even.
                      Really so glad your here:l
                      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Thank you WIP. Wise words indeed.
                        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

startingover;464190 wrote: recently at times I have REALLY wanted one, but the feeling goes pretty rapidly when I fully accept that I am simply not going to have one.
                          Excellent thread and great comment!
                          You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Agree 100% WIP'ster.

Having an 'attitude of gratitude' is absolutely critical to long-term sobriety. I don't care how strong your willpower is, you'll eventually drink again if you don't make the change in thinking that you mention.
                            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

WIP,
                              You are like my worst alter ego - you say with great clarity the arguments that have been going round in my head for years - if I did not already love you I would quite clearly tell you to feck out of my life for once and for all you mad wise clear one
                              xx
                              There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                              X