New to the board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the board...

I have been reading posts for the last few days. I actually bought the program a year ago and never started...go figure. Have read many stories that seem so similar to some of my own. The horrible & self hate feelings associated with the aftermath of drinking too much the day or night before. Thought I was the only one. It certainly seems that way in my neck of the woods surrounded by suburban soccer moms in the midwest US.
    I have been tapering down for the last 2 weeks but feel an AF period of time is necessary to meet my fitness and weight goals and help with depression/anxiety. Have become heavy and very bloated/puffy from drinking. Not to mention high blood pressure and really lack of enthusiasm or initiative to start anything new. Too much energy required.
    Am reading How to Heal Your Life by Louise Hay and realize that what I thought was a decent childhood was really influenced by my mother's depression and unhappiness and my father's uncontrollable anger (at random times). Again, this did not seem glaring until I started reading....realized I developed feelings of inadequacy and need to try to be perfect and major anxiety which spilled into my teen years and adult years and was medicated with drinking.
    Now as a parent of kids I shutter to think what my 2 bottles of wine a night to sleep (pass out) is doing to them. Down to one bottle but still sounds disgusting. I am a happy drunk which is a problem - get funnier and funnier and crazier and crazier when out with friends.
    Well, even after being AF for just one day and feeling physically great with the help of the supplements and ativan prescribed by my doctor - my mind is telling me it is okay to go get one bottle of wine and enjoy the night.....the beast is fierce.
    I look forward to any future interactions with all of you. This seems such an inspiring place to be right now.
    "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

New to the board...

Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. I also had the books and supps about six months before really committing to it. I am so glad I did, you will be, too!:welcome:
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome....We're all in this together and we can all heal, with each others help.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

New to the board...

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome to the crew CC. The boat is full of people all feeling similar things to you. Together we will reach our goals of AF.
          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

New to the board...

Thank you for the welcomes....brings tears to my eyes to find souls of likeness. Will put the car keys away and skip the liquor store tonight and focus on the family. Hope the grace of God doesn't strike me with DT's or a heart attack or something from withdrawal in the next few days....Did any of you have serious side effects in the first few days from withdrawal? Did I mention have anxiety and a runway mind?
            "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome, and good for you, CCM. I did not experience serious withdrawal symptoms, although some people here did... I do hope you will get in touch with your doctor right away if you have anything really strange going on, to get some meds to help you through the first few days! Drink a LOT of liquids, OK? And eat some good healthy meals, just consider it like an episode of flu, one you will NEVER have to do again. And stick around here a lot, let us know how you are doing.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome C&C
                You have found a great site and many people who have been in your shoes. You are not alone and will receive alot of support here. Remember that not only are you helping yourself, you are giving your kids a great gift as well.

Comment

New to the board...

C&C,
                  I had no withdrawal symptoms other than being really tired and irritable. I don't think that many people have serious medical issues when withdrawing. Obviously if you do, then get help or to a dr. Lots of water helps, as others have said.

I'm in the Midwest too. Welcome!

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome, C&C. Hope to see you around hee a long time!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

New to the board...

Welcome C&C Mom,

No time like the present to start to put yourself and your health as priority #1. We'll help in whatever way we can. I didn't have withdrawal symptoms, but I have read a few posts where they were fierce. Best to consult a Dr. if that happens. Otherwise, stay close - we've all had to take those first steps, too.

Vera-b

Comment

Working...
                      X