November a@@kickers week 3!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello one and all ...... lost, christy, BH, WIP, helpahol, Cymru, Rubywillow, Guitarista and Tom!!!

I've just been back and checked so I know I got everyone that posted last week!!

Hope everyone is good - BH: you in Manly??? I am so jealous if you are. Also jealous of the Dubliun mini-marathon group ...... I did the Dublin marathon in 1988 and it was such a great race!!!!

Lost - keep on posting!

Back on track for me today - feeling so much better both physically and emotionally. Enjoying my quiet weekend - this afternoon I did the only thing that I decided i would do this weekend which was going to the zoo with a couple of friends and their kids. I always feel a bit ambivalent about animals in captivity, but one of my friends daughter (10) loves going and had constructed a whole quiz for us all to fill out. Not only that but once we had finished she fished out "congratulations on taking part" certificates with small sized milky way bars cellotaped to them. She is such a treat and it felt like a really nice way to spend the afternoon!!

mame
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Good morning ass kickers.....well, it would seem my ass is still being kicked by this flu bug. I'm not feeling as sick anymore, but holy, am I ever tired, and dizzy. I got up made breakfast forced myself to eat a slice of toast, and came back to bed. I have to work tomorrow so I hope I feel better I don't want to take another day off work.

How is everyone doing AF? I am on Day 32...nothing feels any different. I'm not sure if I expected it would, but it doesn't. I tell ya, when I first got up with the flu--the headache, nausea, vomitting, etc, I thought 'This isn't fair!!! It feels like a hangover!' lol......I do feel better for not drinking....and hey between not drinking and this flu I am down 24lbs.

Hope everyone is doing well. Mame, I'm not big on animals in capitivity but I try to think of them as rescued. If the zoo didn't take them in maybe they would never have survived.

Have a good day everyone....
    Christy
    AF July 6 2014

Comment

Evening all. Hope everyone is doing well. My mate saw Def Leppard in Aukland on Thurs and said they were great Aunty. Well done Christy on 32 days. My record this year is 38 and im hoping to beat it soon!
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Christy ... I wonder whether the flu thing is a bit of "end of year" stuff. I've been suffering minor flu symptoms for a couple of weeks ..... it may be not driniking or it may just be my body calling for a break.

Cy - I am so out of touch I didn't even know that Def Leppard were on!! But I'm also of the generaration that gets much more excited by today's press release that The Who may be here next year .......

Sunday late afternoon here .... has been a good one. Done lots of thinking etc etc. over yesterday and today. The AF daily thread on the Monthly Abstinence bit of the site has been great over the last couple of days - has given me much to think about!!

As a result I have changed my signature ..... and that's about how I want to be not just for the rest of November, but for the rest of summer. I'm still clinging to some thoughts about bubbly at Xmas, but those thoughts are on the back burner for now.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

oh damm - my signature doesn't seem to have changed!! Back to the drawing board!!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

works now!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hi folks,

I just wanted to check-in and say thanks to one and all for the community suppoprt. Two weeks now and feeling much better than before.

Tom

Comment

Tom that's great!

I'm in a bit of a rush at the mo - slept really badly, decided to stay at home in bed this morning and now I have to race into work!!!

mame

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Happy Week 3 everyone! Here's a homework challenge for the week: everyone make a point to greet someone brand new who shows up during this week, and offer some ideas about what is helping YOU to get and stay AF! There's something about helping others in that way, that really helps us to get more committed and strong in our own efforts!

wip

Comment

Evening!!!!

Well another weekend down! I don't even find them a big hassle anymore...hopefully that doesn't come and bite me in the ASS! But...day 33 and feeling good....well, now that the flu is gone....just tired now.

Tom you are kicking ass and taking names dude! Good job!!!!!

I hope that everyone has an awesome AF week!!!!

Christy
                    AF July 6 2014

Comment

Back home early after going in late - just as well I'm my own boss! Having a few (non-alcohol related!!) health things going on at the moment ......... nothing new and things that have been issues for me for years. But sometimes I do feel very bored with them!!

Missing Uncle Mame ..... was great to have some "me" time over the weekend and last week, but his support in the AF journey has been great, and coming home tonight to an empty house I felt very tempted to stop by a bottle store. He isn't back until very early Thursday am, so I'm going to stay in at the office for the next 2 days and catch up on the stuff that I didn't do today!

Kittens have kept me entertained so far this evening though ....... they have started to climb more confidently. Unfortunately that meant that one of them (and I bet I know which one!!) managed to get up to where I had put some aromatherapy oils and tipped them over!!

WIP - I have a question about your homework challenge!! I see you out there unfailingly helping people, and I so much admire you for that. Not only that but your suggestions are always so sound and constructive. I will sometimes post to new people (particularly at odd times of day when it is quiet - like when I know that a lot of people here are asleep in other parts of the world!) but quite honestly sometimes I dont know whether I will make things worse or better!! I will only speak about what works for me, but often it feels very obvious and trite (like: dont have alcohol in the house, read the book, avoid trigggers, etc etc) ........ And I'm not confident enough in my own experience (as in: I try all those things, but I know that from July - September this year it was all too hard) to feel that I have much to offer.

In addition, when people are posting about things of which I have no experience (in fact are a million miles away from my experiences) I feel like I dont really know where to start.

But I agree with you about how it makes us more committed and strong. That was in part why I wanted to do this November thread. I make myself post on it every day even when I dont want to. And especially when i feel like I'm talking to myself!! Sometimes it feels like it might peeter out, but I'm keeping going till the end of November!!! And I try to post when there is someone new with whom I think there is something in common - just like I think that other people do that to me!

So thanks to those who keep checking in here on a regular basis - in my own mind you have become my own personal support group!!

WIP: I started off by saying that I had a question for you, but I may have answered it for myself in this post!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Well Hi Auntie!

I couldn't let you very well post alone! I love the story about the kittens. I have not been around kittens in so long. I have a cat but rescued her from the SPCA full grown. She's a special girl, my Pheobe.

It is nice to have some special 'ME' time, but sometime there can be too much at one time. Though I don't get it often, but I can imagine being alone an entire weekend, would be pushing it for me. It is however, important to have that time, but I would be missing my hubby and my kids--even though they drive me bonkers, lol!

Glad to hear you are doing well.....I am still getting over the flu, just more tired now....but feeling better. Heading onto Day 35, I think...I think I said I wasn't going to count anymore after 30 but I am so pleased, lol.

Off to sleep now....have a good day! Hope everyone else is doing well that checks in!!!!

Christy
                        AF July 6 2014

Comment

Up early tdy. wish was up at 6, so got up with her and im now wondering what to do with my extended day!
                          Think some x box and film watching may be in order!
                          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Hi Cy and Christy! And Tom! And anyone else out there!!

Glad I'm not posting to myself!!:H:H Would hate to be a thread stopper!!:eeks:

Cy - 6am is good and early for the middle of winter!! Sometimes when I wake early in winter I get up and crash out on the sofa with a duvet and a chick flick. It feels like a wonderfully self-indulgent way to start the morning!

Christy - glad you are feeling better, and also that you are feeling strong. I go through periods of counting and periods of not counting ........ whichever one works can sometimes depend on what mood I'm in!

Had a good thing happen to day ..... this time of year over here things start to relax a bit as summer comes on and people prepare for an extended Xmas/New year break. I've been thinking about it because inevitably what starts to happen is people knock off work early and go for a drink, and there are lots of lunches etc etc ..... so I've been using some of the thinking on this and the abs thread to plan my plan. For business reasons, I cant really avoid social occasions, even though I dont really enjoy them, so I decided I was just going to have to get used to dealing with people around me drinking without getting tempted myself. Anyway, I had a meeting at 3pm today in a cafe, and both other people (neither of them big drinkers) decided to have a wine. I actually found it quite easy to be in that space, and was quite happy with my Pellegrino!! It felt like another little brick in the sobriety wall!!

also had a bit of a revelation reading some of the posts on the monthly abs thread ab out what people do with their time once they get sober. I've been using a piece of software that I really like, which helps people to identify wellness supporting behaviors and conversely those behaviours that are likely to undermine health and wellbeing. Anyway, I had a look back through my results since I've been using it, and realised how little I do in the way of "recreation" - as in stuff I do strictly for fun (as opposed to exercise, which can be fun, but which I primarily do for health reasons). I tend to be a bit of an workaholic, but one of the things I identified quite early on in my time here was how I used drinking as a means of "not doing work" (because I would be incapable!).

All this is building into a bit of a plan for a very different 2009 than 2008 has been!! We've got some business planning to do at the beginning of December, and I've already told people that we are going to take things a bit easier next year and place some priority on reducing work loads so that we can re-gain our work-life balance and hopefully some creativity as well!

anyway, I'm off to a bath and bed myself right now!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hello all
                              Hope yer all kicking November's ass.
                              Lost I hope you are okay - let us know.
                              BH

Comment

Working...
                              X