Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread 18th November 2008

Hi everyone,

Just been reading some posts from last night as usual and its got me thinking about what exactly this forum does for me.
    When I joined I was at such a low ebb, in fact I wanted to die. I thought my life was intolerable and out of control and that I had no hope of putting it back together again. When I look back now, that is plainly ridiculous but it gives an idea what depression was doing to me. Yes, I had intense problems and had done so for a couple of years, but they were just life problems. To me though, they felt like the end of the world.
    So, then I found this place. For the first time in ages, I felt a sense of hope. There were people here who had similar issues to mine, some much worse and some not so bad. There were thoughts, solutions and support being posted every haur of the day. For the first time in I dont know how long, I connected with people. I have always kept my distance through fear. Fear of being "sussed out" fear of rejection, fear of hurt, fear of not being good enough, you name it, I was fearful of it. So I guess I was lonely. Yes I have friends, but I keep them at a distance. I never really speak of how I feel and whats going on in my head or heart. But here I have started to. It is a first for me. I feel fairly safe in expressing myself on the forum and if I dont there is always PM to get stuff out. Through this place I am getting to know myself and what I am really like as a person. Along with that, I am taking the time to know others and how they are. I am learning not to judge. I am learning how to deal with my emotions. This was evident particularly this weekend when I thought I had said something wrong and hurt someone. It was unintentional but It completely floored me, I have not felt so bad for a long time, all I wanted to do was drown myself in booze and stop thinking about it. It took hours of beating myself up and then finally asking for help. Within minutes I got it. I didnt drink and my previously destructive thoughts had turned into positve ones.
    I guess what I am trying to say is this forum is giving me myself. I cant even say its giving me myself back, because its a new me thats emeging. Not a saint, but better than I was before. I am learning and growing through this. And that is priceless.

So on that note, I am going to get my lily white arse into gear and get to work.

Have a good one all.
    Thanks for being there for me.
    Startingover xxx
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Good morning.
    What a great post to start the day. Its been great getting to know you starts, and i truely look up to you and how you have overcome your past problems and have stayed so metally strong throughout these hard times. I strive to get that mental toughness back in my life, and with you around i feel there is still hope that i can do that.
    Thank you Starts.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Wow you guys are up so early. It is 2am here. I am getting ready to go to bed.lol. Just wanted to say HI, and nice post Starts. I can sooo relate to all of that fear. It is a terribly damaging thing. Hope you all have a great day. I will be back in about 7 hours.lol.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I cant believe im up this early! Have a good sleep sea. Good win over the maple leafs for the bruins last night!
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Fear is waht holds most of us back...I think we all need to challange ourselves in that way . Im delighted your in my life now Starting...I count you as one of my special friends.

Comment

Morning Limey.
            To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

G'day to you Oney. How ya feeling tdy? Wob last the night!?
              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Morning all, rotten day here.

Thank you for the post Starts- you have done SO well, when the odds haven't always been in your favour- how is mum by the way?

I'm still not feeling great- very despondent and overwhelmed- I wonder if maybe I do have depression- I never thought I did- I know sometimes I feel depressed but I thought it was the booze causing the depression. How are you getting on with the anti-depressants Oney?

Well off to walk the doggies. Have a lovely day all.

Comment

I just read last night'd thread Oney, sorry Wob is being such an arsehole.

Can you talk to him? My BF is a lovely guy most of the time- but absolutely impossible to talk to. He can't- he has a real thing about it. After so many years I no longer try.

Comment

I sometimes wonder that about myself Marbs....I always said I didnt, in fact I revelled in the 'fact' that at least I didnt have that! Now im wondering how true that is.....

Comment

Mornig folks!
                      Great post Starts.
                      I've got the yucky tongue thing again. Every three days, when I'm dry, I wake up and my tongue's coated in a horrible tasting gunge. I reckon it's one way my body gets rid of some of the toxins, which can't be bad.
                      I'm going into town today to get some things sorted out. The council's being really slow about getting me on the housing register, and I haven't managed to scrounge a penny from the Social Security people yet, so I'm off to kick some beaurocratic arse.
                      It won't make a blind bit of difference, but it'll make me feel better.
                      Have a great day people!
                      Marbella..my daughter is convinced I'm suffering from depression, and have been for years. I keep telling her that I'm not depressed, I'm just a boring old fart.

Comment

I think the 2 do go hand in hand marbs, but i have been on fluoxitine(prozac) since july and when im not drinking i find it really helps me. Prolonged alc abuse does effect our brain and i think when we stop abusing our body and brain like this, we need to sometimes have some help in getting it to function properly again.
                        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Sorry about the tongue Pops!

Sounds like candida? I think I have it- (difficult or impossible not to have it when you drink) I do notice it gets much better when I lay of the booze- sugary foods don't help either, apparently.

Comment

Morning Pops. Good on ya for getting stuff done. If you pester them, things can be speeded up i found, though it is such a long process and i think they expect us to live off air and grass while we wait.
                            To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

cymru;471245 wrote: I think the 2 do go hand in hand marbs, but i have been on fluoxitine(prozac) since july and when im not drinking i find it really helps me. Prolonged alc abuse does effect our brain and i think when we stop abusing our body and brain like this, we need to sometimes have some help in getting it to function properly again.
                              It is no wonder really when I think what I have done- how can my brain be working well and happy?!!

If I get 5 minutes I will go to the doc and ask him. Not very likely at the moment- still haven't put my flaming lottery on! Nearly 3 weeks now (it is a daily lottery here)

Comment

Working...
                              X