Can an Alcoholic be Addicted to one Type of Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chief;474262 wrote: I was a beer drinker, with an occasional bloody mary, and when I quit I got rid of all the beer in the house, but there was a bottle of Kahlua in our cupboard and I never had any thought or desire of drinking it....even in the first few days of AF. I guess I must also be in the minority....

Don
    Don I guess you WHERE in the minority!lol I would drink cooking sherry and that last bottle of advocare that was left over from 3 Xmas's ago!!. I NEEDED my hit no matter how I got it!!lol

Love and Happiness
    Hips
    xxxx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I think you can be mentally addicted to one type of alcohol just like you can be addicted to shopping or cleaning. If your wife reaches the point of physical addiction to the alcohol in the wine she might drink another type to stop the withdrawls. When I wanted to quit drinking wine I switched to vodka tonic and only had one a night the first couple of nights and then was able to go alcohol free for awhile. Eventually my love of wine came back to haunt me so I just try to control it.
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

I think Empeh, you got the main two points that come through here:

1) Wine is often the beverage of choice because it is the most acceptable and available.

2) Many alcoholics start out drinking ONLY wine (and/or beer) and for many years the idea of harder stuff disgusts them, but at some point, for MOST of us, our alcoholic needs will push us to try and accept other kinds of alcohol if necessary, which will often lead to changing habits as well. (I went from wine to vodka after many years of being a wine-only drinker.)
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
        X