Moderation not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderation not working

Well, after 2 weeks on this board - I have cut back more than my normal - alot. However, my body is still not agreeing witht the smaller amount of poison going in. Still have as much insomnia if I drink some or none and now realize I just need to drink none.

I have realized after these 2 weeks that I drink to get the buzz - the relaxed feeling and in order to keep that going I would have to drink constantly which is stupid. I do enjoy the taste of wine but it has gone much beyond that now. I used the Kudzu one day and could not get the buzz I was looking for and drank so much I could not believe it. There in lies the problem, very clear now.

So, after 2 hours of sleep last night for the many nights so far - screw it - I will go AF and hopefully in a week or two be able to sleep. Can't keep putting in poison to a body that can't handle it. Have all the supplements and will take them religiously.

So - here goes. My life is waiting to be lived and not managed by how & when I can drink.
    "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Moderation not working

How long did it take before you started sleeping well? Thanks for the support!

I just took my first 30 minute walk in - ashamedly - I can't remember how long. I'm tired but inspired. Hard to believe alcohol makes you so lazy whether while you are drinking or while you are recovering.......
    "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

Moderation not working

C&C,

In my case, it takes about a week AF before sleep comes more easily.

Others have different experiences, though.

I do think AF is a good idea if even a small bit of poison still affects you.

I had the same reaction to Kudzu, I drank enough to get past it.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Moderation not working

It sometimes takes a bit of time to fully experience the full effects of going AF, but the rewards are really worth it. You start to like yourself again, and see opportunitys you would not of before in the world around us.
        Good luck C&C
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Moderation not working

Hi C&C,
          Yes, your sleep patterns will improve so much without alcohol. I think it took me about a week too.
          Its great that you have learnt already what al does to you and have made a decision to change.
          Keep posting on your progress. Sometimes just making that decision to quit is the hardest part.
          Good luck!
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Moderation not working

hi c c good luck to you,sleep takes time, just like not drinking,hav a break and relax,i no easier said then done gyco

Comment

Moderation not working

C&C,

With me the sleep came when I was about 8 or 9 days AF initially. It took a while. I was taking valarian root, which helped, then switched to melatonin which seemed to help more. And the dreams, oh my. The dreams were incredible.

It sounds like you're making a great choice for you. I know I have a lot more energy when I'm not drinking.
              Be
              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Moderation not working

Insomnia or poor sleeping in the first few days AF, or even longer, is usual, but there are many ways to help you sleep. I have done this dozens of times and have learned that you really don't have to lose all that much sleep. As BecomingMe says, valerian and melatonin are great natural ways. L-tryptophan is supposed to be great, too, and from personal experience, Lithium orotate is also good. It's ok to use Benadryl, too-- it's a non-addictive sleeping pill, in a way. Check out the Holistic Healing forum for loads of advice on sleeping. And good going!
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Moderation not working

C&C: Good luck on your new journey. I couldn't do abs regardless of how many "rules" I set up for myself. I'm now tossing out the whole idea of modding. It's not for me. When I drink, it's always alcoholically. Try the daily AF thread on 30 day abs. It's very supportive & informative for those of us that are trying to abs. Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Moderation not working

Hi C&C Mom,
                    Well, mods isn`t for everyone. Mods was my beautiful dream........I was hell bent on successful mods.......wasn`t to be though.........I finally had to admit that, once that cork is popped, I simply do not know when to stop.

I loved the buzz, `til I had to face the hard fact that drink was completely destroying me. And.......I also simply loved the taste.......was a WINE LOVER EXTRAORDINAIRE :H But, bottom line is.......you learn to live without the taste and miss it no more than cheesecake if trying to lose weight.

Go for it. Living AF is easier than we sometimes allow ourselves to believe.

Star x
                    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Moderation not working

Hi C&C
                      It is great that you have decided to take your MWO journey to the next stage and go AF however I just have to say that IMHO cutting back on drinking for two weeks is not "modding" as contemplated by the MWO book/program. Cutting down and then going AF is certainly a step on the journey out but generally speaking a good deal of AF or close to AF time and a long term committment to the complete program is required before a person with drinking problems can sucessfully moderate their drinking so that over time drinking becomes less and less of an issue in their lives and is relegated to pretty much take it or leave it situation. Unfortunately both the concept and practice of modding does seem to cause a lot of confusion and controversy on this site and there are many people who are vehemently opposed to modding both for themselves and others.
                      Best of luck on your journey whatever your way out is.
                      BH

Comment

Moderation not working

I think I know the difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic, which is me. The lie starts in my head, when the craving starts for that oh so wonderful glass of wine. Just one, ok maybe two. The problem starts once the first sip is taken. Suddenly all reasoning is going, and all my brain can focus on is another drink, to get that oh so perfect buzz. Problem is, that fun buzz only lasts a short time. Then the obsession starts, to get more. Now suddenly the only thing that matters is having more. Its not really fun anymore, its just an obsession I cant seem to stop until to the point of passing out. Then the worst parts come. Waking up with that panic, anxiety and the depression, that ruins my total existence for the day. Then time to sober up. And wait until the lies that I can handle just "one" glass of wine will come again.
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Moderation not working

Hey BH - just thought I'd check in and see how ya day been up there in the city of sails?
                          *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Moderation not working

Ka pai Kapo
                            Great thanks - I have sent you a pm.
                            BH

Comment

Working...
                            X