movie: Rachel Getting Married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This movie might help anyone who has struggled with addiction through the years understand more about how their family may view them, as well as showing the pain and emptiness of addiction.

I just saw this movie, which stars Anne Hathaway as a recovering addict going to her sister's wedding. It is a tough film to watch but an incredibly good look at how an addict's drama affects their family over the years. For anyone wanting to look at either side of the coin, it's an eye opener. It shows things from both perspectives: Rachel, the sister who feels like her addict sister has sucked up all the family's attention through the years and loves but resents the hell out of her, and Kim, the addict, who is not very likeable but makes you see her awful pain. The film doesn't take sides. It will make you cry.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

I gotta see this one, with a box of kleenex in tow.
    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

It's actually a rather strange movie and a lot of people don't like it. a lot of long, LONG scenes about this bizarre, bohemian, multi-cultural wedding and a lot of jittery hand-held camera work. I was hating it for a quite a while but the meat of the family relationship is really what makes it worthwhile.
      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Dexter...
        I saw this movie and loved it every minute of it. It was both sad and entertaining to see the love and pain that existed in the family. It was hard to watch the self-centeredness of Anne Hathaway's character.
        Mo3
        AF Since April 20, 2008
        4 Years!!!
        :lilheart:

Comment

Is it in theatres or a rental for at home? I am thinking Momof3 saw at the movies????? CORRECT?
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

I haven't seen this one, but I'm gonna. Have you guys seen 28 days with Sandra Bullock (old one) She ends up in dry out after totally destroying her sister's wedding.
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I walked out after about 45 mins into it.....too eery for me. But thats just me....the addict was way to self absorbed for my taste. Im an addict, but it's not all about me...too me
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
              :h

Comment

Haven't heard of it, but will see if I can suss it out.
                Hey Ready, What is it with cows and MWO??? Amelia is also a cow... a freisan I think, and you look like a guernsey wiv attitoood!!

Comment

Yes Brit, it is in the movie theaters.

The main character is completely self absorbed and not unlike some drug addicts that I have known in the past.

Mo3
                  AF Since April 20, 2008
                  4 Years!!!
                  :lilheart:

Comment

Dexterhead thanks for the movie review! I probably won't make it to the theatre to see it, but I've got it on "save" at Netflix so will be in line as soon as it's out for rental.

Sounds very interesting. I also appreciate the heads up about the funky camera work - but the value in the family relationship part. Otherwise I might give up on it!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X