What Can I Do Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Can I Do Today?

"Each new day brings an opportunity to do some little thing that will help to make a better world.."

Read this a little bit ago and it made me think. So much of my life was spent as a perfectionist. If I couldn't do something 100% then most likely I wouldn't do it at all. Of course, a big part of that was simply a fear of failure, of not living up to people's expectations (or my own). When I first started in my sobriety, I felt much the same way. I had to do it perfectly, and if I didn't well then I wouldn't do it at all. It took me awhile to realize that for any program to truly work, you have to be willing to accept progress, and not perfection.

Along those lines, I know that I can't solve all the world's problems by myself. I used to wish that I could - so much so that I would drink to forget about it. There are bad things that happen to good people, countries, and civilizations all over the globe... So what can I do? I can let it go, and simply do something nice for someone today. I may not be able to improve the world, but I can make a difference in someone's life - and for today that is enough.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

What Can I Do Today?

That's a great philosophy. "Accept Progress". If we always strive for perfection, we are asking for failure.

And of course we can't save the world, but we can do a little bit to help it. Same idea.

Thanks AA
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

What Can I Do Today?

What we can do

Thanks for the post AA.

I think in the spirit of TG, it would be nice to have a discussion about what each of us is doing for others, i.e., What is something nice that you did for someone today?

Today, I invited our former babysitter to have TG dinner with us. She is from West Africa and has no family here.

Mo3
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

What Can I Do Today?

the world needs more like you AAthlete. Pleasure to know you.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

What Can I Do Today?

Random acts of kindness...so true. Thanks AA, puts things in perspective
          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

What Can I Do Today?

Very happy you are here AA, thank you
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

What Can I Do Today?

Hey Beaches... Happy YOU are here, too. Haven't "seen" you in a while. You set a good example of what AA wrote about here.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
              X