Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious if anyone is following the MWO program 100%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following these forums for a few weeks now. I'm curious if anyone is following the MWO program exactly as it is outlined in the book, specifically I wonder if anyone is doing/has done 30 days AF using the supplements, Topamax, hypnotherapy, exercise. Mostly what I read in the forums are people who are doing one, or another of the parts, or some of the parts, or none of the parts but are here for the support of other participants which is great, don't get me wrong please. I enjoy reading and occasionally contributing to those threads.

However, I would welcome some conversation with others who are following or have followed the MWO program exactly as outlined in the book and the experiences they have encountered with it, positive or negative. :thanks:

I'll start. So far (12 days) I am loving this program. I have had absolutely NO cravings for alcohol from day one. I started out thinking I might mod after my 30 days but I'm feeling so good I can't imagine any reason why I'd drink again. I actually LAUGH at things again. I have lost 12 lbs. I had a similar experience when I quit smoking. I had smoked for 34 years, tried to quit many times. I used Chantix to help me quit and it was very effective, I never relapsed, never looked back. Based on that experience I'm very optimistic that this program will work for me.

Are there any other happy success stories out there using the MWO program? Because MWO is what I am thankful for today.
    vegan zombies want your grains

No exact anything in my life.It was life saving to me so I would say 90% in the beginning and 30% or 40% most of the time.The program was a guideline for me to help me figure MY WAY OUT.Stay with us and you can find your way out too.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi Cyclefan, I am following the program 100% as the book says. I find it to work on my cravings very well, however the underlying reason for my drinking is coping with loneliness, real or imagined...... and that is something I am working on. I am on day 5 but slipped up once, I plan to do a 30 after the holidays.
      "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

I followed it as closely as I possibly could initially (for first month anyway) except I used champix as my substitute topomax as I couldnt get it here. Got the supplements and the all one but didnt get the CD's. Did the exercise and posted and read at trigger times. The allone was soooo disgusting that I eventually gave up on it. I still religiously take the L-glut and thing called sero tonic (which has the l-tryptophan 5Htp and the vit B's). Cycle fan I love your housework strategy!
        BH

Comment

I probably shouldn't post this since you are asking for responses from people who have followed the program recommendations exactly for at least 30 days AF.

I am now 6 months AF and initially followed the program exactly EXCEPT for the prescription meds. I actually have some Topa which I ordered from an out of country on-line pharmacy. (insurance / privacy issues) I decided not to take it because of concerns about the side effects and also, the topomax seemed more applicable to those wanting to moderate than those like me who must abstain. (at least that was my impression)

I can't say enough about how important I think it is to follow the supplement regimine COMPLETELY to take full advantage of correcting nutritional (especially amino acid) deficiencies. I also believe that exercise and a sugar / starch free diet have been key.

I did the complete hypno CD thing for awhile, but really don't use it any more. I did use the Sleep Learning the most, and only recently stopped that - should probably start it again. No harm in turning it on at night!

There is one piece that for me has been important, that is missing from the formal MWO program. That is any sort of structured way to address the psychological / behavioral issues that come from 30+ years of excessive drinking. I have found the SMART Recovery program to be very helpful in that regard. I find the two programs complimentary rather than conflicting.

FWIW!

It sounds like you are doing great so far. I too quit smoking before I quit drinking - and took many lessons from that which help with the alcohol addiction recovery. Best wishes!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Evielou expressed EXACTLY what I was going to say. I think the My Way Out name says it all-- each one of us has to find our own ways out, but the programme is a guideline, and what works for most people is to start with the programme as a base and then tailor it to individual needs.

I also completely agree with Doggy Girl (don't I always?) in that the supplemental regime (PLUS good eating) is of utmost importance. In fact, it is here I digress a bit from the MWO programme, in that I follow an even more intensive supp regime. I use the "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" programme as a base for my nutritional supplements, while I use many of the special and unique products from My Way Out as an adjunct (Like True Calm, a wonderful blend of natural calming agents, and Kudzu, the best quality being available from MWO, and the MWO Omegas, as well as the Digestion formula. Also, the MWO Milk Thistle is the best quality and a good deal, too).

But if keeping to the programme exactly works for you, that's great. Maybe you don't need to even tweak it. Just remember to never slack on the supps!
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hey Beatle! Good to see you and also read your thoughts on supplementation - I consider you one of the experts on that topic around here!

Interesting you mention 7 Weeks to Sobriety. I actually have that book but it's been a LONG time (or seems like a long time anyway) since I read it. I am currently reading The Diet Cure by Julia Ross which is largely about nutritional deficiencies / brain chemical imbalances and how they affect us including substance addiction / amino acid therapy. She got her start in this topic area at a drug / alcohol re-hab program. She mentioned 7 Weeks in her own book.

Just curious if you've read The Diet Cure and if so what you think? It came highly recommended to me....

Sorry for the threadjack!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I discovered this site on 11-14-08 after drinking too much on Friday night. I've read a lot of the data and really think this is a helpful site.

I ordered and received the book but have not read it yet. I do not have a physical craving for alcohol so I haven't checked into the medications or the supplements.

I'm here because now that I'm 50 and I have 2 little kids, drinking is a nuisance that slows me down physically and mentally and I know that completely quitting drinking makes me feel better.

I've not been to AA, but it seems to be that their all or nothing approach is something that seems too strict for me and I'm looking for support to stop or really slow down drinking. I think I've found it. I really enjoy reading the posts and adding my 2 cents every now and then.

BTW...Since joining the site I've drank twice...one at a business function about ten days ago...a few glasses of wine....and, yesterday, Thanksgiving at our house...one glass of wine and one glass of champagne.

I also quit smoking. I always say it took me 13 years to quit smoking. and I smoked for 25 years. I quit 500 times, at least. For whatever reason, I quit 7 years ago and I know I'll never smoke again. I quit with Wellbutrin, but, I had quit at least 20 times before with Wellbutrin. I honestly don't know why this last time finally stuck, but it did. That was the best thing I ever did, now, quitting drinking may end up being 2nd best.

Comment

Welcome New Folks
                  I am using the MWO program to the best of my ability. I cannot take Topamax; my blood pressure is too low. I also cannot use Campral due to digestive problems. I use the vitamins, supps, CD's and this forum. I go an occasional AA meeting, but I also must admit, that I do not like their ALL or Nothing approach.
                  "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, it tells me what I wanted to know and that is that in order to keep sober a program must be followed, regardless of what the program is. I'm the first to admit that if something is too hard to do, I won't do it so that is why I'm glad I was prepared for this program and it's working for me, otherwise I'd give it up. I'm not one of those people who believe that in order for something to be valid that I have to suffer to earn it. Easy, easy lemon squeezie is my motto. :-)

I was afraid I wouldn't like being sober but I found out that I really DO like being sober so I guess I'll stay that way.
                    vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

That's great, cyclefan. I really love being sober, too, so I can't understand why I have slipped so damn many times. Like letgo was with cigarettes, I must have quit 500 times (well maybe more like 100), and every time, I swore I'd never drink again. But invariably something has clicked the wrong way in me and I keep tripping up. Right now I've been sober for longer than ever before (about 3 months if I don't count the couple short slip-ups) and last time I took a drink (just a small one) it made me physically sick, so now I feel like this is really it! I will never stop my supps, though, because that's when I mess up.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Doggygirl, great to "see" you, too!

I haven't read The Diet Cure, but have heard of it. I will definitely get a copy soon.

In terms of the brains chemicals and nutrional aspects of alcoholism (and recovery), the Seven Weeks book is amazing.

I'll check back after I've read The Diet Cure.

Comment

Hi Cyclefan:

I started the MWO program in January and did all the supps, Topomax, CD's and exercise religously for about 2 months. I continue with the Topomax, exercise, and MWO support daily, and listen to the CD's about 1x/mo.
                          I did not do a full 30 days AF, but did 21 AF days in the 1st month and have maintained 16 -17 AF days/mon for 11 months with moderate drinking on my mods days. I've had a few weeks where it was hard to follow my goals (vacations, and sometimes for reasons unknown to me), but I chalk it up to a learning experience and the next week is always better.

Over the last year I've lost 25 lbs so am at the weight I want to be. This is something I've wanted for 8+ years and now I feel happy, in control and like I've gotten my life back. I read the posts of folks who drink a bottle of wine/night (as I used to) and are so afraid to (or can't) quit, and remember I was SO THERE and now I'm glad to be here. I think there is true power in the support here, in reading your own story being written by someone else, in learning to think differently, ask for help when you need it, and in general befriending a group of kind, helpful, sometimes struggling folk who are working on making themselves and the world a better place to be.

All thanks to MWO.

Best to you.

Ask

Comment

beatle;479849 wrote: Doggygirl, great to "see" you, too!

I haven't read The Diet Cure, but have heard of it. I will definitely get a copy soon.

In terms of the brains chemicals and nutrional aspects of alcoholism (and recovery), the Seven Weeks book is amazing.

I'll check back after I've read The Diet Cure.
                            And I will dig out my copy of 7 Weeks and queue that up next for a refresher. I know I only skimmed it - and probably not all of it - early on.

Cyclefan, whatever works for you is the thing to do! I'm very VERY happy to be sober too. I don't like to think about the extensive amount of time in my life I wasted with my head stuck in a bottle.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X