Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best and sweetest miracle

Hi guys,

I just need to share the most amazing feeling that happened to me today.

I was craving a drink really badly this afternoon - that pre-mixed rum and eggnog that only comes once a year AND we just happen to have like 10 bottles of the stuff in our home right now. But I have been put on sleeping medication that you can't drink on and tomorrow is day 7 AF and day 4 with wonderful sleep....

So I sit......and say to myself.......sleep? Or that yummy rum and eggnog..........

Then my daugther says "mom, when are we going to put up the tree?"

I said "as soon as I run to the variety store to get some eggnog honey."

We just finished having the most marvelous hot eggnog and coffee (well, no coffee for her) and laughing and listening to Christmas music, trying to keep the cat away from the tree, decorating time of our lives. We always decorate the tree together but this year I really felt the emotions and the wonderfulness of it all. I really got to enjoy her smiles, and the laughter and the sheer joy of just being together and loving family. It's so precious..........and we waste so much of it by being smashed or half in the bag all the time...........

I'm so glad I choose the AF version of the eggnog this year. I'll never forget how wonderful it was to spend that time with her - no one can ever take that from me - and this year - neigther did the beast.

Just wanted to share that.

Love and hugs,
    Uni
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

That is a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. These are the types of moments that make being AF so worthwhile! Lovely.

Comment

Very nice universal! Congrats!

Comment

Thanks for sharing that with us.Now I feel like a warm AF myself.
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm feeling pretty warm and loved right now - what a great feeling. Wally, we were too busy to keep our 10 month old kitten away from the tree to take pictures while we were decorating!! - but I'm sure the first time she knocks it down there will be a few taken! LOL We are totally expecting that to happen so hopefully when it does it doesn't break all the lights and the ornaments! LOL
          Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
          :h

Comment

Hi Universal
            It's great to hear from members enjoying time with their children.Time goes so fast ,they are grown up before you realize it.This is such a beautiful example of you getting sober for you and then everyone else in your life reaping along with you the benefits.I don't think any of us realized what a dangerous road we headed down, for what ever reason, when we became involved with al.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08
            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08

Comment

Yes uni........those kind of moments shared with our kids make all of this all worthwhile. :l

Star x
              Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Good stuff, Uni....

We're proud of you...

Don

Comment

i am crying reading this...we get sober for us...but part if this battle is also for our children...i fight for my kids too. some days are so hard and i do it for them too. some days i make it...some days i dont....this is so beautiful...thank-you for sharing!
                  Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Thanks for that, uni.

I find that one of the most important and effective tools for me to keep myself AF is to really notice these moments when we realize we are happy and it's all because we are sober-- so that when you get tempted, you can pull out these memories to remind you why you really DO NOT want a drink. Make sense? It works for me, anyway.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                    X