A Glimpse of Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Glimpse of Alaska

About this time of year I wonder why I live here? (It was 30 below yesterday.) Well I am kind of bored at work and got to thinking about it and I just thought I would share some interesting and weird things about Alaska.

We have snow about 7 months of the year. (But it is usually to dry to make a snowman, how sad is that?)
    We have no state or sales tax.
    Each Alaskan (even the kids) receives about $1000+ a year oil dividend. (Gotta love that!!)
    Summer brings 24 hours of daylight. About a month of it around June.
    Winter brings the opposite. The shortest day is Dec 21st About 3 hours daylight.
    There are still active gold mines.
    Someone new to Alaska is called a Cheechako (I thought they were calling me a cheese taco??)
    We use special heaters on the engines and have to plug in our cars in the winter so they will start.
    Some of us are even spoiled enough to have heated seats and remote auto starts.
    And you will laugh at this one but it is true,
    Moose droppings, mosquito traps and a hand painted walrus penis bone are all considered souvenirs!!!

The craziest part…I’m originally from Vegas! :bang

I invite others to share as well. I love the fact that we have all come together from so many places and can support each other in our common goal.
    :l
    Ak
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

A Glimpse of Alaska

Wow, thats great. Love hearing about other cultures! Is Alaska where the vampire film 30 days of night was made?
    Wales is NOT in England, and we have our own language!!
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

Thanks AK, very interesting, even though it is almost identical to where I live (minus the walrus penis part). I am actually living at the same latitude as Anchorage.

Cy, I had heard that Wales is not, and is, a part of England. What's that all about? And what's the language? (Not a dialect? -- here in Scandinavia, all the countries have different languages, but they are all very similar, at least grammatically. We can all read each other's languages anyway, even if we don't speak them so well).
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

I absolutely love the snow and in London it very rarely does. I come from Yorkshire originally which is prone to lots of snow and I really miss. I think that the snow is good for wrinkles. Eskimos tend not to have lots of wrinkles. Whereas people in mega hot climates have loads of wrinkles. Just my theory. SOUNDS REALLY INTERESTING IN ALASKA. CAN YOU MAKE THE RECIPE BAKED ALASKA?

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

Wales is just next to england, but we have a completley diff history and language. Cymru is Welsh for Wales. Heres a bit of info
          BBC - Wales - History of Wales
          BBC Wales - History - Themes -Welsh language: The Welsh language in 19th century education
          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

Hi AK Girl. I grew up in northern Wisconsin, and we used to "plug in" our cars also.
            I love hearing about Alaska. I've never been there.
            Cymru: Do most people in Wales know the Welsh language?
            I was in Wales once. So beautiful.
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

cool I love Alaska . but was only in the south east part for about 4 months.

I grew up in the tropics. no winter. it never goes below 78F and never gets higher than 98F

it rains in november December January and sometimes february.

the native language is english but the island belongs to Colombia whos native language is spanish.
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

beatle;485164 wrote: Thanks AK, very interesting, even though it is almost identical to where I live (minus the walrus penis part). I am actually living at the same latitude as Anchorage.
                LOL, it's called and usik...just weird I know. How do you deal with all the dark? I hate it.

Maddiva, I hope its true about the wrinkles. I could use all the help I can get. As for baked alaska...nope, but now that you mentioned it I might have to try.

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

Not in the South, but the west and especially the north there is alot of welsh speakers. My dad didnt speak English till he was in school, and my parents both brought me up speaking welsh at home. I rarely ever use it now though to be honest, but it is used alot in places, and people are very proud of it.
                  To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

I deal poorly with the dark, ak. The natives around here must have the coping mechanisms in their genes. They all think it is so cozy-- fires in the fireplace, candles, hot cocoa,--- a bunch of rationalising crock, but it seems to do the job for most. I try to feel that cozy feeling (but mostly I try to get my butt to a place with some sun sometime between October and March).
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

I hear ya, I'm going home to Vegas in February!! I have one of those SAD light thingys...it's just plain annoying to have something that bright in your house I don't care what the reason! :H My BF got it cause he thought I was cranky, should have seen me after I got it!

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

I THINK AS THE SKIN GETS COLD THAT THE ADIPOSE LAYER COMES INTO FORCE, BUT YOU MUST PUT LOTS OF MOISTURISER ON AND APPLY REGULARLY. VASELINE IS A GOOD ONE. THEY COULD DO SNOW WRAPS IN BEAUTY SALONS PLASTER SNOW ALL OVER THE BODY AND THEN FREEZE FOR PRESERVATION. COULD BE THE NEW BOTOX....:H

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

This is for you cymru

cymru;485235 wrote: Not in the South, but the west and especially the north there is alot of welsh speakers. My dad didnt speak English till he was in school, and my parents both brought me up speaking welsh at home. I rarely ever use it now though to be honest, but it is used alot in places, and people are very proud of it.

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated".

So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket.

"When they're proofing signs, they should really use someone who speaks Welsh," said journalist Dylan Iorwerth. Attached files [img]/converted_files/722182=4398-attachment.jpg[/img]
                          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

I've read the links, Cy, and kept going from there (link hopping)-- fascinating stuff. But I still don't get how the Welsh language can be so different from English. Guess I'll have to do more research.

Comment

A Glimpse of Alaska

Cycle...LMAO
                              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Working...
                              X