Access issues and forum moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Reposting this from another thread as per a member request.)

-----------
    Hi, all, and thanks for your thoughts.

I'll be in touch with each of you who have reported problems with your user IDs.

We're in the process of implementing a new program to more closely monitor activity in the forum. It's a practice adopted by most online communities. I've selected a small group of fair, compassionate members who care deeply about this site and the individuals who visit. Moderators are members who have shown wisdom and maturity during their time here. They understand the importance of providing a positive and supportive place for those who suffer with alcohol addiction.

As we make this transition to the new system you will find posts and threads moved, deleted or edited more regularly. Our new moderators have a responsibility to act on my behalf when members post provocative or harmful messages.

We expect all members to follow proper forum etiquette. An article with specific guidelines is here and also found in our FAQ at the top of the page.

I'll provide more information as we get the Moderators up on step. I am very grateful to them for helping me do a job that has become much too big for me but is critical to this community.

Thanks.

RJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Very wise decision RJ. Kudos to you for taking this important step to keep this community what it started out to be.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
    :h

Comment

thank you i will be looking forwad to having my s back on .. tlrg and reading my pm's..
      again thank you .. RJ

Comment

Thanks YOU SO MUCH.
        You once again show your wisdom and your caring for all of us.
        I will say it again (even if they call me a sap) YOU ARE MY HERO AND I OWE MY LIFE TO YOU.
        Let's all work together to make a GOOD THING, EVEN BETTER !!!
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

We're removing duplicate user names as we find them, so if you run into trouble, please log in with your your original ID.

RJ
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Thank you.
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Thanks from me as well RJ. We appreciate you putting up with our, um, minor idiosyncrasies from time to time.
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Perhaps I'll get banned for this:

I was very upset by this post from RJ. And I am also upset by the complacent attitude shown by some of my fellow MWO members.

I can certainly understand and appreciate how difficult, indeed impossible, it is for one person (presumably RJ) to monitor this sprawling site. It appears that these difficulties have come to a head and something had to be done.

However, as an active member who, I believe, has never abused any rules of etiquette, I would have at least liked to have been warned and consulted about this before it being presented to me as a decision-- a decision that means some "select" members of our group will now be monitoring my and all the other sincere, dedicated, free-thinking members' posts. (This also adds fuel to the fire of many members who have accused MWO of having "cliques" and a club-like mentality.)

I know that I have never, and would never, post something offensive, but I like to think of this as a free and open forum, where offensive posts are discouraged and the members themselves can handle dealing with them-- whether it be reporting them or taking it upon themselves personally to minimize the effect.

Perhaps if the members themselves had got together and made some proposals to deal with the problem, and then consulted the other members about a plan, I would have felt okay with this.

But I don't feel okay with this. I don't feel like a "member" of any place where decisions that affect me are made without consultation and presented as "this is how it is-- your feedback, your opinion is irrelevant."

RJ is, in my book, a wonderful person, a kind of Mother Teresa for thousands and thousands of us people who are struggling to get well, and want to do it our way. We members are people who believe that the most important element in healing ourselves is to take the responsibility and find what works for us. We are a group that doesn't appreciate being told what to do by people who think they know better.

That's what made me feel so at home here. I don't know if I will feel comfortable continuing to post honestly and spontaneously, knowing that some select, anonymous group of my colleagues is culling through, ready to halt any possible misstep in etiquette. And "provocative"-- who is to define that?... and haven't some of the best exchanges here grown out of "provocative" messages?

I know this has been a difficult process for RJ and the others involved in this. I know the intentions are only good.

But a more encompassing approach, a more inclusive approach, a less didactic and heavy handed approach, might have worked better for a bunch of independent thinkers.

I feel sad and sorry now. But I had to say what I feel. Even if it's the last time I do so here.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thank you RJ.
                  Mods are very important and i am a member of many sites that have many mods. I have been one on an ice hockey forum before( i know, diff kettle of fish completley). I think it is important that we as members know who the mods are. Not to abuse them( if you do you get banned) but so as to feel both comfortable with who is watching when posting our honest and often difficult posts, and so that these mods dont start letting the power of modding get to them. Im sure you trust them RJ and have done much research into who you wanted, but they should be out in the open. The government and its peers do not hide, a football club mamager and coaches do not hide and a family should not hide from eachother.
                  I realise this is a transitional period and not everyone will agree with everything that is being done, but for me it is important.
                  many thanks for listening.
                  To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Gia;487298 wrote: RJ, could you please post who the moderators are? We all would really appreciate that.
                    Yes please, this will depend largely on whether I continue to visit or not.

Comment

Beetle, I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this. It almost seems you are taking this personally? As RJ mentioned, this is done on alot of other forums. It is done on Smart Recovery and it is one of the most resepectable qualities I like about their website.

Too often I log in here and see ranting post after ranting post, using profane words and calling other members names. I know this is a website for alcoholics, but please, do we need constant bashing when people are obviously intoxicated? That serves no one. I for one, would appreciate those type of posts being addressed by the moderators here and the rest of us who seriously want to address our problems continue to do so.

For the most part this is a "free" website, so RJ is free to make decision based on the fact that it is mananged by her. Please don't judge how this will effect this website, until we see results. Then we can decide if it works for us or not. If not, we are free to move on. I hope you will stay and see how this pans out. I for one am excited to see the outcome. I can't stand it when I log on here and see members outing each other.
                      Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                      :h

Comment

If they are not members and we can be assured of that then ive no problem with it. I was under the impression they were members.
                        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Wally22;487320 wrote: I don't think there is any benefit in posting the moderators names. It will simply make it difficult for those people to interact on the site as members. I believe they are only to intervene when things get out of hand.
                          If the moderators are not members then who cares. We don't know them anyway.
                          I actually care alot, because of course there are members here I just don't 'click with' as there are members who don't like me. That is fine and perfectly normal, I don't have to read their posts and they don't have to read mine- but if my posts are moderated by them it will make me very reluctant to post- however I do have faith that RJ will choose moderators that are not spiteful or self serving- but I still feel as somebody who has posted a lot on the site I have a right to know which of my peers is now moderating me.

Comment

cymru;487327 wrote: If they are not members and we can be assured of that then ive no problem with it. I was under the impression they were members.
                            Cy, RJ said they are members.

Comment

Then my point stands. I think wally is under the impression they are not.
                              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Working...
                              X