Access issues and forum moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that I never worry about posting. I am careful about how I might say things because I recognize that the written word, a.k.a. posting, is a limited form of communication. It is not like face-to-face communication where you can see the other person, interpret how they might be reacting, and rephrase what you have said or clarify what you mean when necessary.

I always try to keep respect for the other person/people at the forefront of my communication. If I am angry over something someone has said, I walk away from the computer. It is too easy for me to react first and think later. Once you put it out there, you can't take it back.
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Comment

Yeh, Star, I agree it is sad.

Part of the sadness, for me, anyway, is that so many members applauded this without thinking, without reflecting on what it means. It also saddens me that RJ failed to respond to my specific concerns, although she did answer many of the concerns brought up on this thread.

Well, since everyone seems so okay with this, I realise it is best to drop pursuing the concerns that still disturb me. As we all have often said about AA, you take what is good for you and leave the rest. It's a depressing day indeed when I compare MWO to AA, but now I will apply that strategy here also. I will stop following most of the forums and keep myself in Monthly ABs, which is a place I feel offers the most to me (yeh, selfish, I know, but so it is).

All the best to the rest of you!
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I love you, beatle........just want you to know that. :l

Star x
        Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

beatle;489140 wrote: Yeh, Star, I agree it is sad.

Part of the sadness, for me, anyway, is that so many members applauded this without thinking, without reflecting on what it means. It also saddens me that RJ failed to respond to my specific concerns, although she did answer many of the concerns brought up on this thread.

Well, since everyone seems so okay with this, I realise it is best to drop pursuing the concerns that still disturb me. As we all have often said about AA, you take what is good for you and leave the rest. It's a depressing day indeed when I compare MWO to AA, but now I will apply that strategy here also. I will stop following most of the forums and keep myself in Monthly ABs, which is a place I feel offers the most to me (yeh, selfish, I know, but so it is).

All the best to the rest of you!
          Could you please also continue posting on Holistic Healing. I have learned so much from you there.

Comment

Beatle - You do seem sad. I'm sorry.

I have pm'd RJ with my concerns.
            She has either responded or promised to respond when she has the answers.
            Thus far, I feel reassured by her that although things will not be perfect for everyone, the path she is choosing will deal with most of this site's growing pains.

I just think we need to give it a chance.

Dx
            * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

I will not pass judgment on the changes until they are fully in place.

I think what we all need to understand is the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one (thanks Spock). My thoughts and wishes are irrelevant when compared to the MWO community at large. In other words, RJ is doing what she feels is needed to make sure this site is able to help anybody and everybody that asks for it, not what helps AAthlete the most.
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Thank you Star, that means more to me than you can imagine.

Thank you Dolly, and yes, I will keep up on Holistic. I've used so much time, years, in fact, on researching the holistic side that it would be selfish of me to refuse to share when there might be something I can offer that would help others.

And thank you Determinatrix, I understand very well what you are saying, so I do think it is best to give the chosen way a chance. You are a wise person.

I think there are many people who feel reassured, and that is a good thing. I don't want to mess with it.

As AAthlete (not to be confused with AA!) says, meeting the needs of many should be the primary goal.
                Even though this has caused me a lot of personal anguish, I think that overall goal is more important.

I'm sure this will all work out fine.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

It's hard for me to imagine how this site could get sadder as a result of moderation.
                  You know what I think is sad? When good members get attacked on threads for no reason and feel stung by it. Then the attack comment is left there for everyone to comment on. Workinprogress seems to be our latest casualty. That's sad.

Comment

Nancy, I was unaware that WIP had gone and know nothing of the details.......am not getting online so much these days.

What I will say is that I will sadly miss her........she gave much to this site.......she is very knowledgeable and always responded if I was down, so thank you WIP. She is the epitomy of positive thinking, which is vital if we are to overcome any addiction.

Star x
                    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

I am sad too wip is gone. I really valued what she had to say.

Comment

Yes, it is a loss.

I heard about it then searched for her last post. She said we can find her at Smart Recovery site if we like.

Comment

And this is EXACTLY WHY we need moderators. To stop these attacks! She was attacked by a long time member who just doesn't like her, for whatever reason. I found WIP to be extrememly intelligent in her responses and very supportive to newbies as well as long term members. She had a "tough love" approach, but never abused it. MWO suffered a huge loss with WIP leaving.

When things like this happen, we need moderators to stop the abuse, it is just wrong on so many levels to treat people we have never met this abuse.
                          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                          :h

Comment

Well, I am intermintent here lately and I had no idea that WIP had decided to leave. I agree loosing WIP is truly a huge loss, in many ways. Darn!

I just want to add this thought "Change is Difficult". I think it is especially difficult to those that suffer from addictions. Most of us have deep seated "Trust Issues". Any changes particularly when it involves the idea of authority is a bit disconcerting at the very least. But, I think we can all agree that RJ has earned our trust. She is always fair. So, I say, lets give this a chance.......
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I have gone back and read all the threads posted on this subject. The abuse of other members should not be tolerated. What bothers me is a freedom of speech issue. What kind of site is this going to be? Is it going to be a Tea Toldling site, or can their be some space for a little adult humor ? Alcoholics come in all types, from all areas of social status. Are we going to be ruled by the morals of a few. I agree profanity should be kept to a min., but some of these alcoholics are harden people that have been through a lot and all they want is to get sober. I don't have the answer, but I just want everyone to remember where they came from. " But by the Grace of God their go I " IAD.
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD;489827 wrote: I have gone back and read all the threads posted on this subject. The abuse of other members should not be tolerated. What bothers me is a freedom of speech issue. What kind of site is this going to be? Is it going to be a Tea Toldling site, or can their be some space for a little adult humor ? Alcoholics come in all types, from all areas of social status. Are we going to be ruled by the morals of a few. I agree profanity should be kept to a min., but some of these alcoholics are harden people that have been through a lot and all they want is to get sober. I don't have the answer, but I just want everyone to remember where they came from. " But by the Grace of God their go I " IAD.
                                I was adamant I wasn't going to post here, but after reading your post IAD, you have summed up everything I have been thinking about.

WIP is ok, she has a lot on at the moment. But she has to think of her own health too. And posting in a safe place.
                                ?We are one another's angels?
                                Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X