Why is there a stigmatism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone answer this for me. Why is there a stigma attached to being an ALCOHOLIC?

I feel I want to whisper it....I am an alcoholic. Shhhhhh

I am embarressed to say it. Other people can say it but I am finding this hard. Perhaps that is why I keep reaching a stumbling block.

I can admit I have a cold at the moment to anyone who will listen. But, admitting I have a drink problem is another story.

I AM AN ALCOHOLIC. I am an AlCOHOLIC!!!! I hate it.

Okay, thanks, just needed to say that.

Bella XXXX

That is a really hard thing to come to terms with and once you do then you know you HAVE to do something about it.

Keep shouting it out here
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I just can't come to terms with it. I must be so stupid. I come from a family of moderate drinkers and yet I am so dumb. I must be otherwise I would be able to control it. I am so ashamed to be like this, it makes me hate myself. Thanks Beaches for your words. Bella XXX

Comment

I come from a family OF alcoholics. Most won't admit their life long problem because of the shame associated to the word 'alcoholic'.

You don't have to label yourself. You know deep down inside that you are. I don't think we need to put a bulletin out in the paper to let everyone know. It is what you do with your discovery... your problem.

I wish I had only confided in people that I trust. That wouldn't have been anyone in my family, that is for sure. Hypocrits. If I had of told them in the beginning that I liked to drink and I should kick it to the curb for a while.... well then there would have been no stigma or judgment attached. But because I used the word 'alcoholic', oh the shame!

Hang in there Bella. Glad to see you posting more often. You have a lot of people who understand what you are saying....

Comment

I am so sorry Bella...
          The first time I heard it come out of the mouth of my doc, it stopped me cold....I needed that......truth...
          I then started to research ways to deal with an "overdrinking problem" that just came up and bit me on the butt!
          It was then that I found RJ's book and this site.
          I know also what it feels like to have family know....one person in mine is really hard for me to deal with and it changed our relationship, I'm afraid forever...that hurts........

:lNancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

I think the stigmatisim is largely to do with the fact that alcoholism is a "moral" issue, to those who do not have it and have not experienced the HELL that we have.

I have been told many times, "why don't you just stop?"

We suffer and illness/disease - whatever you feel comfortable calling it!

Unlike cancer etc, we have had very littly empathy with so-called "normal" people.

Stick with the winners, Bella - there's plenty of 'em here!
            *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

I can't say it either. I don't want it to be true. In the past 6 months or so I admitted I had a "problem" to some close family and friends, and I feel like it has bit me in the ass as well. So I feel even more alone and unable to cope with life.

Comment

Bella,

I am somewhat different. It just doesn't bother me to say I am an alcoholic.

It bothers my family a lot. Tough titties.

I yam what I yam!!

All it means is I can't drink alcohol. What's the big deal?

My brother struggles daily with not eating sugar and carbs. He is a diabetic. He fails at that, many times, too. Huge difference?

Bella, one thing I have found at MWO and AA is that many lovely, incredible, intelligent, caring people are "alcoholics or whatever you want to call it." You don't have to tell everyone you are, you just have to know yourself what your problem is and you have to go, "oh well."

We are all here for you anytime you need to talk. :l:l

This site and RJ (Huge thank you to RJ!!) allowed me to get my self-esteem back.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

ok then .. just say i have drinking problem .. really it does help to have other know you are trying to help yourself .. and who knows they will be there for you and surport you thur it .. so dont be ashame .. be proud and face your fears head on .. you will feel so much better with yourself and everthing else .. stay strong and think positive
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Cinders, I am with you in that I am comfortable labeling myself an alcoholic, albeit a recovered one now. However, it is much more important to be able to admit it to and accept it myself then it is for others to know. Until I did that I had no chance of recovery.

I do not broadcast it to the public at large. If there is a valid reason for someone to know (someone else who is suffering or is recovered) that I have no issue in sharing, but for better or worse there is a stigmatism associated with alcoholism, and people don't understand that we simply can't take it or leave it.
                    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

bella you ve been on of late lots im enjoying yur threads,it is rt ,if you hav cancer ahhhhhhhh,poor thing,but if you have an alchohol or mt i say a drug problem,heaven forbid,it is harder for those without this problem to accept,then us,have a brake,there problem to accept cant be our problem,they havent a clue, gyco

Comment

sorry think about it admitting your an aclchoholic is easy,its accepting the fact tht all others label you even the big book at AA says there are different degrees of alchoholism,does not mean yur alchoholic,solution, how it works where ever it says,you mt have an alchohol problem and on tht note,dont climb into the fire b4 you reseach all the outs gyco

Comment

Bella,

What has helped me is that I don't consider myself an Alcohlic anymore. I consider myself Allergic to Alcohol. Just as they ask me every time I go to the doctor is there any medication I am allergic to. I am allergic to some types of antibiotics. Some people are NOT, it's just my chemical make up in my body. Same with alcohol, some people can tolerate it with one or two drinks and be DONE, my body chemistry only demands more, so in a sense, I am just allergic. So, I now I tell people I don't drink. And if they questions as to why, it's because my body does not tolerate it well. Thank goodness it's not sugar my body can't tolerate because I can't imagine giving up ICE CREAM!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Mich
                          :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
                          AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Here is what my dear grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to say about my father who was an alcoholic: "Alcohol doesn't agree with him." That was a huge understatement.
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

wow wally ive never hurd it said better

Comment

Working...
                              X