• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there a stigmatism?

bless yu heart for tht

Comment

For me, the bottom line is - yeah, I AM an alcoholic, and that is OK WITH ME.....

ALSO though, I am MUCH MUCH MORE: I am a mother, lover, musician, dam good cook, talented song-writer, avid amateur historian, aesthete, ......shite.......I am lots of GOOD positive things, we ALL are.

Focusing on the ALCOHOLIC label, for me, not a great idea! So what if I turned out to be an alkie - GOD, I didn't exactly ASK to be LOL - like, can you imagine...."OK GOD (or whoever), pleae make me a total F*CKup in social situations, so that people shun me, I do ridiculous things, spend ludicrous amounts of money on shite, humiliate myself - AND then feel sick, lonely, tired depressed!"?!?!?!?

COME ON!!!!!

Love you guys!
      *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

I can relate...I have a problem. Does that make me different than others who have to keep their illnesses under control? I think not. Is my illness less respected? Absolutely! I too have trusted family members who have totally judged and gossiped about me. They were my own sisters. One has had her issues with drugs, the other has told me how she couldn't live without her wine. Who is the sick one? I can't elaborate because this beats up on my self esteem. Somehow I am the one with the problem. I guess its true that you can pick your friends but not your family.
        Hope :h

Comment

Indeed, hopeful. Today I am sober for ME, sod everybody else, I can't (and wouldn't) remain sober to gain another's approval. Quite simply, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I am blessed in that my family realise that my problem was not intentional, and they are as supportive as possible. However, since I was 17 , I have always lived away from my family - so they never really new the half of it, until my drinking progressed to the court/law system.....

Staying focused on the positive, I am clean, sober and hugely grateful to be happily so, just for today!
          *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Fantastic views on this....thankyou, you have all been really helpful to me. I like Michaela's idea.....I am allergic to alcohol....thats me from now on...not alcoholic....just that alcohol doesnt agree with me. All the best Bella xxxx

Comment

Hi Bella, it really pisses me off when people presume that if you're an alcoholic/problem drinker, you drink. Maybe it's a play on words?? But I'm a problem drinker...and therefore I don't drink alcohol. But if I was to tell anyone "I'm an alcoholic" they'd assume I drink a lot of alcohol...it's only since I recognised my problem that I can change it.
              Therefore I'm changing my thinking so if I hear someone say they are an alcoholic or problem drinker or whatever I'm gonna hope that means they DON'T drink alcohol...and I commend them for being able to recognise they have a drinking problem. NOT assume they're some alkie looser.
              Ya kow what I mean??
              Great thread by the way.
              Angel xo

Comment

Working...
              X