son has chicken pox, forced to resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone! have been beside myself all day....just wanted your thoughts. My son has come down badly with 'the pox' and is really suffering. I called my boss and told her i wouldn't be in for the forseeable becuase of this. She said 'well can't you get someone to look after him?' 'can't you get someone up the school'??? 'i work 80 hours a week, someone else is on holiday next week and we'll have no cover' Well, lets just say we rowed, and i said in three years service never had something like this come up, and that i would and wanted to be there for my kids. The upshot was she went on and on and then i resigned. Today, i was plucking up courage to go into the office, and she walked out. she just nodded at me.....and was about to walk by. i wound down the window and said i'm sorry things have worked out like this. She said ok. Now, i'm getting all these nice emails from her about my son and how she hopes he's feeling better!!! do you think she's got advice? I'm really annoyed, and know something dodgy is going down!!!

lol i don't work 80 hours, she does. i said 'well then if it was MY company, i may work those hours, but it's not, so i don't!

Comment

I'd go back and start working and get paid.

Anyone who gives you trouble is trouble themselves, and they know it.

The way to resign is to get a BETTER job, and then give notice. That's it. No need to get ZERO because the office manager is a heartless fool.

Comment

So did you resign or not?

Comment

yes, i did. my kids come first. besides, he is so scabby no-one would want to look after him anyway lol!

Comment

I totally understand having to be there to care for your kids, esp. when they are sick. But from the sound of it, your boss doesn't want to lose you. Chicken usually runs a predictable course; maybe you could give her a tentative day next week when you could try to make it in to work. By then your son probably won't be feeling so bad.

Comment

Can you try and do your job at home? Do you have vacation time saved up?

Hope your son feels better son.

Best of luck.

Mich
              :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
              AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

summer_holiday,

What you desribe about not knowing when you can come back to work is considered JOB ABANDONMENT and will get you terminated from any company. Not a very good move if you want a paycheck.

All the best-

Comment

summer,
                  I totally feel for you, as I have six kids, and trying to juggle that and a full time job is HELL. I pretty much can't call in sick unless I call in dead.
                  I think chicken pox runs its course pretty quickly...watch for fever...
                  do you have some one who can watch your son while you are at work, you didn't say how old he is?
                  What do you feel is "dodgy going down"? Maybe your boss is just hoping you will come back to work?
                  I DO feel for your dilemma, it sucks ass being a working mom. I would way rather hang with my kids.
                  Hang in there, and healin wishes for the pox!
                  Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Summer,

So sorry about your son's Chicken Pox. They are nasty and make the kids sooooo uncomfortable. Just breaks a mamma's heart. Just for future reference, if you live in the US, in situations like this, you can request what is called a "family medical leave act". (FMLA) You don't get paid for the time, but benefits continue and your position remains in good standing. I'm not sure if the company has to be of a certain size to be subject to the regulations, but it is a federal law. Only a benefit if you request it properly. Check it out. If you like your job, If I were you, I would probably call my boss and discuss this with her.

With the bleak global economy and job market out there, it would probably be best to hold on to what you have until you find something else, if at all possible. Everyone has moments when we feel that it is beyond what we can handle. Especially when it involves our children. Perhaps she was having a simultaneous "melt-down" for a reason unknown to you. Since she has continued to call you it tells me 3 things. Either she realizes that she may have been strick beyond reason and perhaps violated company's policy and is concerned about you coming back taking action against the company. 2 - She knows that you are a good employee and that it is in both of your best interest to repair the situation. Or 3, she is your friend and cares about you, your son and the relationship that you have built over the years. I would call her and ask to make an appointment with her. Don't discuss it over the phone. Go in person, at a time that is convenient for her, at the job, not a social setting. I would be sure that the HR manager or another employee is present so that there is a third party witness, (actually the law in the US) also, write your thoughts down in the form of a letter, with the reason for the problem, the request to return, and your plan for a back up plan, clearly stated. In the meeting, Do not discount the way you were treated by your supervisor. Reference that you have been a long-term, reliable, quality employee that benefits the company and that you find your work fulfilling. In the letter state that you understand this is a violation, but that you were given no alternative options at that time. (don't use the words feel or feelings or made to feel that I had no other options) Offer to accept a deciplinary "write up" for your file and begin making alternate plans so that if such a problem occurs with your son in the future, as it does with kids, that you will have a plan "B" in place. Also offer to additionally speak to your supervisors boss / board, to explain. etc. I would be prepared to reference, as I mentioned before, that your supervisors reaction, made you feel that it was an either/or choice, and like any mother, you MUST care for your son's needs.

Whether you are or are not reinstated, ask this to be placed in your HR file. A couple of things, the subject title on this thread says "forced to resign". If you must seek unemployment compensation, I would hold to that reason for leaving. State that your employeer gave you no choice and that when faced with either or, you had to take care of your child. Take three copies of this letter to the meeting with your employer. Have your own original signature on each letter, and have 2 signaure lines as well. The signature line for your supervisor should simply state, I Ms. Supervisor, accept this letter for Summer's employment file. Provide a signature line and date line. Also have a witness line and date line that simply show that: Witness____________________- Date_____________ Have all three copies signed. Supervisor gets one, you keep two, one for your file one for the unemployment compensation hearing, in the even that there is one. Believe me, I have had people receive, benefits that our company has rightfully denied and they won. If you must seek future employment, get that have plan B in place - let your potential employeer know that you have alternate care for your child if he becomes sick. They really can't ask, but it is a good idea to offer that informaiton. I could make the difference between them selecting you or someone else. Also, be sure to thoroughly check out the company's call of policy as well as "ill child" policy. What ever happens, it will be alright! Some of the times that I thought were the most tragic in my life, lead me to a far greater opportunity, because it occurred. Hugs to you and put a little baking soda in his bath water. It will help with the "itchey bugs" Hugs, Best

PS - Have someone with Human Resource knowledge, review your written communication before you have the meeting. Be specific as to dates, times, your work record (absinteeism - volumes of hours worked, etc.)
                    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

hmmm... not knowing your work situation I would say that under normal circumstances she can't fire you for not coming in if your child is sick - especially if you told her and have a note from your child's doctor. Worse case scenaior you take family medical leave - which everyone is entitled to by the law. Trust me as someone who has had employees with sick children... this law can work wonders. You don't even have to take it in days - you can take it in hours. Look into it in your state.

Comment

Working...
                      X