What if Santa can't afford a Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told my kids Who are 15, 18, 21.....that I'm broke ! ha! ( And ) If you don't want to be like me : " Get a damn Job ! " Ha! IAD.
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

You tell 'em!!!

Comment

Just an update...
        Well, my husband and I told the kids last night that Santa would not be bringing a Wii. I am so grateful for all the help I got here!! So many good suggestions.

I couldn't bring myself to return all the other gifts...They are things I think the kids will love, and that we can use as a family...Games to play together, books to read...So we told the boys that Santa can't bring everything children ask for, but that he will bring them wonderful gifts. They really didn't question it further...Didn't even ask how I knew Santa wouldn't bring a Wii. There were no tears, no arguments, just slightly dejected, "Oh, okay"s. Dear little boys!!

I take heart in all your wonderful thoughts about Christmas and what children will remember and cherish. I know it will be a lovely Christmas, with a sober mommy, and lots of family love. I'm also going to get them thinking about what to give each other, and talk with them about sending a little of their own money to help the little girl we sponsor through the Christian Children's Fund.

Oh, and yes....Great idea, we are encouraging them to start saving their own money if they really want a Wii, and we'll get them started with a (small) gift of cash.

Now, Do you think we should get a puppy? :H
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Actually if you could adopt a puppy the boys would love it and so would the puppy....much better than a WII any day.
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Yes, we're thinking about it. You can get a puppy from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for about 40.00. Of course, long term it's a big investment...what with vet bills. It's also a big job, and there's the problem of what to do when we go out of town. But yes, the boys would be over the moon with excitement...Definitely more than a Wii. And I've always thought kids should have a dog...It's part of my picture of my complete family.

I don't want to add stress to my own life...I've got enough of that. Do any dog owners have advice? Is it worth the trade off - stress for joy?

If we do it, we would probably have Santa leave a note telling the kids we'd be making a trip to the animal shelter together over Christmas vacation. It would be fun to give them a puppy Christmas morning, but we're going to visit Grandma that day, for a few days.

Oh, I'm so excited at the thought....Am I crazy?
            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

I personally have a zoo! I LOVE LOVE LOVE animals.....my children too. They all my our family complete.
              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

I'm impressed with your decision--good for you!
                As far as a puppy goes--you could wait until June when the shelter will be full of animals that end up there around 6 months after Christmas.
                Unfortunately this is the case as many people that get pets for gifts decide they just aren't cute anymore and are too much work!
                I know this isn't the case with your family--you're giving this careful consideration.
                My kids want a puppy too, but we don't have house pets--and it's just too darn cold outside for a puppy.
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I don't know if it is true - but I heard there were a lot of Chihauhaus in shelters now from the Paris Hilton-carry-your-chihauhau around fad from some years back...

Comment

Working...
                  X