Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspergers Syndrome

Hi,

Anyone out there familiar with this? My son was diagnosed and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I've done a lot of research over the last few years, just wondering what others might know about it.

Ak
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Aspergers Syndrome

Hi, I am very familiar with this since my son has a mild form of it. Usually these people have superior intelligence, just lack social cues. It is tough to deal with as a parent because you rarely receive the affection and reward of child rearing. How old is your son?
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

My son is 13. It is mild, he is very affectionate....or used to be before he turned teen. LOL His biggest problem is the social part of it. He is having a hard time adjusting to 7th grade. He is just not fitting in and it breaks my heart. Such a tough time being a teen, even tougher when you just don't "get it"

How old is your son?

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

AK

How old is your son and what kind of advice are you after?

ASD Friendly Autism and Asperger's Syndrome Parents' and Carers' Support Group (Powered by Invision Power Board)?

Mrs Macks and i found this forum very helpful..Loads of advice and lots of great people.

Its based in UK..
        I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
        One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Posting at the same time lol

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Thanks Mack, I will check it out.

No specific advice, just wondering how it has effected others.

Or maybe just to vent to someone who understands.

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

AK, good for you for reaching out here -- you never know what members have experience with, I wish I knew nore about Asperger's; as I mentioned to you before, my friend has 2 kids in college with it, but we've been a little outof touch. (just busy lives) I can track her down to see if she has any advice.

Hope things are looking up for you -- my heart goes out to you. My stepson has had some difficulties too.

Hugs,
              CS

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Sods law..

Said Autistic child is wide awake at 1-30 am here and wants cereal..So gonna do my duties and try to get him asleep..

Hopefully spk soon AK...That website is very helpful..

Half the parents on there must be alki's aswell

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Thanks CS

Has anyone told you lately how wonderful you are?? Well I am.....you really are. Thanks for the PMs and listening. I appreciate it.

:l
                  Ak

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Mack,

How old is yours? Is he Aspergers too?

Thanks for the link, I will definately check it out.

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Hey AK

aspergers is one of what is considered a PDD (pervasive developmental disorder). The main features are:

impairment in use of nonverbal behaviors such as eye to eye gaze, facial expression, body postures and gestures to regulate social interaction

failure to develp peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

A lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests or achievements with other people

Lac of social or emotional reciprocity

repetitive and stereotyped patterns of beh. such as

emcompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal in intensity or focus

apparently inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

mepetitive motor mannerisms

preoccupation with parts of objects

These are some of the criteria...not all are necessary. AND- I have known many aspergers kids and they are wonderful and can be VERY successful. Rumor has it that Bill Gates has autism so don't despair. hard to see your own child suffering socially, which is most difficult during the middle school years.

Hope this is helpful

Beth
                      formerly known as bak310

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Ak,
                        Very sweet of you to say that -- thank you. I know what a challenge teenagers can be, with a 17 yo stepson and years of teaching grades 7-12 under my belt. 7th and 8th grade are murder on a lot of kids, but they eventually round themselves out. Really. Beth has some very good criteria and information, and I will try to get hold of my friend -- difficult with holidays.

OK, gonna try to get lights on tree now -- a week before Christmas, and with a cold that I don't want to grt nasty! We've been watching the Nutcracker ballet on TV; 2 yr old was fascinated with the dancing!

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Lucy Van Pelt;497573 wrote: Hey AK

aspergers is one of what is considered a PDD (pervasive developmental disorder). The main features are:

impairment in use of nonverbal behaviors such as eye to eye gaze, facial expression, body postures and gestures to regulate social interaction

failure to develp peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

A lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests or achievements with other people

Lac of social or emotional reciprocity

repetitive and stereotyped patterns of beh. such as

emcompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal in intensity or focus

apparently inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

mepetitive motor mannerisms

preoccupation with parts of objects

These are some of the criteria...not all are necessary. AND- I have known many aspergers kids and they are wonderful and can be VERY successful. Rumor has it that Bill Gates has autism so don't despair. hard to see your own child suffering socially, which is most difficult during the middle school years.

Hope this is helpful

Beth
                          Thank you Beth, I really appreciate your response. I have researched this for years and I know all to well the symptoms. I live them daily. I was relieved to finally get the diagnoses. BillGates?...that is encouraging. LOL

I guess I was just reaching out to folks in a similar situation. My heart is just breaking for my teen. He wants so much to be accepted and have friends...the one thing he cannot do well.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Hi AK,

I have some friends with a son that has Aspergers and I believe PDD is a different and more severe syndrome on the Autism spectrum disorder. I love Augusten Burroughs (a best selling author who is a recovering alcoholic) and I highly recommend his book "Dry"...interestingly enough his older brother has Aspergers and his brother wrote a wonderful book called "Look me in the Eye", I LOVED it. Here is a YouTube video of Augusten and his (very successful) brother that has Asperger's.

Take Care,

Myheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZsYGxXHis[/video]]YouTube - Augusten Burroughs and John Elder Robison
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

Aspergers Syndrome

Here's another great interview of John Elder Robison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwzfgNWmR6E&NR=1[/video]]YouTube - John Elder Robison interview on the Today Show.

"Ya just have to make the transition from weird to eccentric and then you'll be OK".....I LOVE it!
                              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X