Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats it called when you have a 'street party' where you visit many friends houses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats it called when you have a 'street party' where you visit many friends houses?

pretty trivial i know but its doing my head in...someone mentioned it before on here and I can't for the life of me remeber what is called...its an american thing (i'm a brit and never heard of it before!) thanks!

No bloody idea sorry, yorkers, but, no matter what the subject, good to see you posting your first post!
    *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Hiya Yorkers, can you not sleep either??
      Good to see you anyway!
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

A block party?

Dx
        * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

We call it a Progressive Dinner--you progress from one house to another (1st = appetizers, 2nd is soup, and so on....) Does that help?

last one I went to was dangerous because everyone tries to out-do each other, especially in the booze area with "fancy" drinks...stay strong.

Comment

We call it a block party.
            "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

I've heard it be called an open house.

Comment

A block party and a progressive dinner are 2 different things. UpNorthGirl is right that a prog. dinner you have apps at one house, dinner at another, dessert at the next. Generally an adult thing. A block party is when the street is literally blocked off from traffic (you need a city permit) and all houses/families contribute food. Generally more family friendly.

Now, who wants to address the terms "pot luck" and "covered dish"? (the event, not the dish)

Comment

hey thanks, but its neither of these!

the progressive diner is the sort of thing, but it had a different term, I read it in the forums a month or so back and had to google it at the time to find out what it meant and it was there, so there is another term for it...arrgghh...things like this niggle me!

Comment

GOT IT!!!

i googled progressive diner and found it!!!!

Its: SAFARI SUPPER!!

cheers guys

Comment

Never heard of it! :H
                      Guess ya learn something new every day!
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hmmmm.... hadn't heard of safari supper before.

We had the progressive dinners, and what we called roving parties or neighorhood crawls or block parties.

But they all seem to be relatives of each other ....

Comment

It's called a Burglary.......Ha! ( Sorry could'nt help myself,,,,IAD.)
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                          X