This time last year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time last year....

Was a very different scenario than this year for me...
    My mum was embarking on a series of operations to treat various cancers that had been misdiagnosed over the previous months...my dog Yogi had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer....I was in a job that I needed to get out of...my drinking was out of control along with my depression. I also had a lump in my own breast and a part of me was hoping it was cancerous too so that I could bail out of this life with a good excuse...That was such a low point in my life and I couldnt see myself ever feeling any different..
    Now, I look back and can hardly recognise the person that I was.
    Today, my mum is through the operations, she is not great, but she is not suffering like she was, yes, Yogi died, but we were able to make his last months really special, the fact that he is no longer with us means that it was easy to take in my mums dog as she can no longer look after her...my job is not an issue any more because I have been made redundant my depression has gone and I am no longer drinking...those two things are definitely intertwined. I drank because I was depressed, I was depressed because I drank.
    This has taught me that bad times dont last forever, life is always changing, it can be a rollercoaster at times, but being sober for me is the key to coping with it, dealing with the rough times and enjoying the good times.
    I am so grateful for my sobriety...2008 has been a life changing year, I am really beginning to learn about myself and be happy in my life...I am looking forward to 2009 and I NEVER thought I would say that...
    All of this is thanks to all of you here, you have literally given me my life back. Thank you :l
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

This time last year....

Congratulations on so many different levels. Great food for thought in your post as to life, and the ever changing nature of it. I too am looking forward to a sober 2009. The best is yet to come!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

This time last year....

You are a GREAT INSPIRATION...Thanks for all your SUPPORT !!!!
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

This time last year....

Beautiful post :lilangel:
        It really gives hope for the future :h
        :l
        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

This time last year....

beauilful post and you are doing an awesome job bi hugs to you
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

This time last year....

Wonderful inspirational post. I too totally agree with the "drink because I am depressed, depressed because I drink" scenario - that was me exactly. Your signature "living now and not just existing" is very true as well, once you quit alcohol. Thank you for all your support, and good luck for 2009.

Comment

This time last year....

Great to look back and see how lifee changes starts. Your post just shows to those now in trouble, that its never worth just 'giving up' cause given time, things can be so much different.
              Like me, mwo has helped me so much, but you have given yourself your life back starts, and deserve to give yourself a big pat on the back. You have done so well, and like others have said, you have inspired me to try and conquer my own alcoholism and depression.
              Well done starts. x
              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

This time last year....

What a beautiful and hopeful post!:h
                You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

This time last year....

Starts, i'm so proud of you, you have come so far in the past year. Like alot of people have already said, you did this because of you. You are an inspirational, strong and caring women and a dear friend to me.

Love ya

Wish xx

Comment

This time last year....

Ah Starts, thank God you found us, what would we do wothout you, I love yo hun and I cant wait to meet you.

Comment

This time last year....

o starts well done, just need a new avatar that describes you in 2009, no more twitchy noses you deserve a medal! hope i can post similar tis time next year x
                      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

This time last year....

WOW ... thanks startingover ... kind of puts my problems into perspective and also re-inforces y own thoughts that this time tomorrow, and then this time next week etc things will improve ....
                        ?We are one another's angels?
                        Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

This time last year....

Thank you guys, as ever I so appreciate your kind words and support...
                          Oney, The Butterfly is something I am going to print out to remind me always...it is so very true...thank you for posting it...

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life.

If God allowed us to go through all our life without any obstacles, that
                          would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. Not only that, we could never fly.
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

This time last year....

Starting,
                            Just wanted to add-you are and shall continue to be a inspiration to me

xx
                            There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

This time last year....

You are ' Heavy metal' to me Starter's! Have a wonderful Christmas. G xx.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X