Getting Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Happy

It doesn't take long, hanging around with people who have alcohol problems, to recognize that feeling truly awful goes hand in hand with drinking too much. Suicide is tragically common among alcoholics. As someone said here recently, and it's so true: my drinking caused my depression, and my depression caused my drinking. There are a lot of reasons, and sophisticated theories (biochemical, psychosocial, intrapsychic, etc.) about why this simple, and accurate, formula is true... but the reasons "why" do not necessarily provide a solution to the problem.

It's also clear (most of us who have more than a few weeks of freedom from alcohol in our lives have found it to be true) that, although not drinking certainly takes away much of the utter misery from our lives... by itself, it does not make life entirely wonderful. It takes more than not drinking to make a good, satisfying, and meaningful life.
    And if we do not take the extra steps necessary to get to a better way of living, we stay vulnerable to relapse, because our alcohol-prone minds will tell us: "Hey, this sobriety stuff isn't so great; why not just have a drink?" That's exactly what has happened in my own struggle, and more than once.

There's a relatively new field within academic, clinical, and social psychology called "Positive Psychology." Martin Seligman is one of the founders of this movement. Unlike clinical psychology, which has historically aimed to find the roots of and remedies for unhappiness and dysfunction, Positive Psychology aims to find the roots of happiness. And, in particular, there is an emphasis on solutions: what, specifically, can we do to make our lives happier and more meaningful?

I found a very nice website today called "The Happiness Project" that contains a lot of user-friendly information and links to other sources of info about how to create your own "happiness project," using some of the emerging scientific findings. Here's the link.

What might be your own path to happiness? And, for those of you who feel you have found a happier life, what has been most effective for you? This thread might be a good place to post success stories and strategies... And here comes another year, a perfect time to begin putting some new practices into place...

Getting Happy

WIP,

I once again have to thank you for the information, the thoughts and the feelings you share.

I have put the link in my "favorites" and researching on the subject.

Having been in a huge funk the last week or so, knowing what caused it and recognizing that one of my main drinking triggers is being perfect, in work and in personal living. I drank to belay the fear and I drank to make myself "braver."

Well, the worst happened and my world didn't end.

So, now, I am reading this post and recognizing that not only do I not have to be perfect in everything I do, I do need to look at living a life that gives some measure of happiness. But even in that, I don't have to be perfect.

The concept of Positive Psychology is a "doh" moment. Of course we need to work on being positive and happy. When you get right down to it, why would we do anything else with the life we were given as a gift?

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Getting Happy

Wip, this is such a good point. Life doesnt suddenly become perfect when we stop drinking and yes its tempting to return to our old ways when things dont go our way.
      I am just at the point where my life is changing massively and I am very aware that I need to be vigilant and not just HOPE for the best, but I need to CREATE the best for myself.
      Thank you for posting this, it will help me in my transformation.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Getting Happy

I feel good, wonder what good feels !!!

Normally I would post this in Research, but just to add to WIP's post about happiness and thinking about happiness and how just thinking about what is good in life and in YOUR life can make you happy, here is a link to another project better-mood-from-gratitude

Here goes my start of happiness and gratitude;

:l to everyone who has Ever helped me and

:h to those who have Never helped me ..... it's working already, I feel great ...
        ?We are one another's angels?
        Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
        X