Scared of Never Drinking Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen this comment quite a bit recently...I also felt this way when first starting. How could I handle life without ever drinking again???
    But a shift has occurred, and now it is the thought of drinking that I find truly scary. That loss of control, changes in mood and behavior, etc. While I do want that "release" that alcohol brought, I know I just need to find alternate ways to get it, such as a massage, hot bath or a delicious new book...
    I just want to say to all who are starting and scared - don't be scared. Embrace this challenge and see how wonderful your life can be free from the grips of alcohol. :l
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Wow River, what a great post and how very true!
    There are other ways to handle things, its most certainly not the end of the world but quite the opposite. Just the beginning really.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

River, I agree with Starts, that's a great post. I have noticed the same things... and I remember what it felt like, to be afraid of not ever drinking again... From where I sit now, it seems totally crazy to be afraid of not putting a poisonous, destructive substance into my body and brain and life... but that's exactly how it feels. And there is no way to get over the fear without facing it, and experiencing life without alcohol. And I had to do that more than once, before I truly knew that giving up alcohol was in no way a matter of giving up something of value, something that I wanted, or something I would miss having in my life!

If there were one gift I could give all the newbies here (and those suffering with alcohol, everywhere), I think it would be to give them that gift of understanding and of not being afraid...

Comment

Great post. When I read the header "Scared of never drinking again" I thought to myself...everyone should BE SCARED of Drinking again. I am a newbie and have yet to post an introduction. I like to read through all the posts and will eventually post an intro. AWIP changed your picture. You are so insightful and full of good info, I was just used to looking at the wiseful "buddah like" photo that you had. Day 3 again for me.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Hi Brightlite... Good for you, Day 3 is a good day! You might find that the more you post, the more support and encouragement you will get here, and that in turn will help tremendously in keeping you on track! The daily AF thread is great, and so is the daily Army thread...

Yep, new year coming new avatar! That pictures is a painting of a place where I plan to be spending a lot of time in the near future....

Comment

one2many;504473 wrote: the thing we were most afraid of missing becomes the thing that we no longer want in our lives.....
            Very well said, Oney! Brightlite, I also agree wit wip to continue to post and let us know you, as the support I have found here has been my biggest encouragement and has helped pull me up through those inevitable valleys. Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I wouldn't be feeling so happy and so proud of myself if I hadn't had struggles throughout this journey. If it was easy, it would be no big deal to reach one day AF or 100. But it does take courage, strength and perseverance. To go through struggles and come out intact and stronger on the other end is possible. I feel so much stronger now than when I started. And I feel proud. No shame or embarrassment hovers over me and for that I am truly grateful. :h
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

I would like to say this is what holds me back, the thought of never drinking again....this seems overwhelming. I know I can do it, but it presents such a change, or at least that is what my alcohol infused brain tells me. I feel I am getting closer but I have had this feeing for quite sometime now. The bottom line .......is the fear of never drinking again. I wanted to thank you for this post...it is food for thought, something I can toss in my chatter salad that goes on in my thoughts about how I will finally win this battle, another possible stepping stone on my road to freedom. Thanks

Comment

river0123;504440 wrote: I've seen this comment quite a bit recently...I also felt this way when first starting. How could I handle life without ever drinking again???
                But a shift has occurred, and now it is the thought of drinking that I find truly scary. That loss of control, changes in mood and behavior, etc. While I do want that "release" that alcohol brought, I know I just need to find alternate ways to get it, such as a massage, hot bath or a delicious new book...
                I just want to say to all who are starting and scared - don't be scared. Embrace this challenge and see how wonderful your life can be free from the grips of alcohol. :l
                You really summed up how I was too... so scared I could never drink again ... and yes, now I am so scared of having a drink too....

Sobriety is turning out better than I could ever have imagined ... and what did I find in drinking in the first place ... I think my mindset is finally finding its own resting place ... its own level as it were ... I hate drinking ... it feels good to say that and something I never thought I would say ...
                ?We are one another's angels?
                Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

river0123;504440 wrote: But a shift has occurred, and now it is the thought of drinking that I find truly scary. That loss of control, changes in mood and behavior, etc. . :l
                  That is what truly frightens me now !

Great post !!!:l
                  AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                  Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Working...
                  X