Self-Control, Religion, Meditation, and AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we all understand that getting over a dependence on alcohol (and other drugs) requires quite a bit of self-control. How can we enhance our capacities for self-control? Many would assert, with good reason, that group support can help considerably, when we feel shaky about our ability to make the decisions we know we should be making. Also, there is good research that supports the idea that meditation practice changes our brain processes and structures in such a way that we are better able to inhibit impulses (to drink, for example) and to tolerate the discomfort involved in not giving in to urges and cravings.

There's a fascinating new paper that suggests that religious practices and beliefs also promote self-control (and I would suggest that AA functions in a very similar fashion, for alcoholics, both with respect to group support, and the beliefs about alcohol that they promote; in some senses, online recovery groups such as MWO might serve a similar function). Here's an excerpt from today's article by John Tierney:

RELIGION AND SELF-CONTROL

From the New York Times, 12/30/08, by John Tierney:

Michael McCullough and a fellow psychologist at the University of Miami, Brian Willoughby, have reviewed eight decades of research and concluded that religious belief and piety promote self-control.

Researchers around the world have repeatedly found that devoutly religious people tend to do better in school, live longer, have more satisfying marriages and be generally happier… In the new paper, the Miami psychologists surveyed the literature to test the proposition that religion gives people internal strength.

“We simply asked if there was good evidence that people who are more religious have more self-control,” Dr. McCullough. “When you add it all up, it turns out there are remarkably consistent findings that religiosity correlates with higher self-control.”

But which came first, the religious devotion or the self-control? It takes self-discipline to sit through Sunday school or services at a temple or mosque, so people who start out with low self-control are presumably less likely to keep attending. But even after taking that self-selection bias into account, Dr. McCullough said there is still reason to believe that religion has a strong influence.

“Brain-scan studies have shown that when people pray or meditate, there’s a lot of activity in two parts of brain that are important for self-regulation and control of attention and emotion,” he said. “The rituals that religions have been encouraging for thousands of years seem to be a kind of anaerobic workout for self-control.”

Moreover, “It looks as if people come to associate religion with tamping down… temptations,” Dr. McCullough said. “When temptations cross their minds in daily life, they quickly use religion to dispel them from their minds.”

However, “Thinking about the oneness of humanity and the unity of nature doesn’t seem to be related to self-control,” Dr. McCullough said. “The self-control effect seems to come from being engaged in religious institutions and behaviors.”

Does this mean that nonbelievers… should start going to church? Even if you don’t believe in a supernatural god, you could try improving your self-control by at least going along with the rituals of organized religion.

But that probably wouldn’t work either, Dr. McCullough told me, because personality studies have identified a difference between true believers and others who attend services for extrinsic reasons, like wanting to impress people or make social connections. The intrinsically religious people have higher self-control, but the extrinsically religious do not.

So what’s a [non-believer] to do? Dr. McCullough’s advice is to try replicating some of the religious mechanisms that seem to improve self-control, like private meditation or public involvement with an organization that has strong ideals.

Religious people, he said, are self-controlled not simply because they fear God’s wrath, but because they’ve absorbed the ideals of their religion into their own system of values, and have thereby given their personal goals an aura of sacredness. He suggested that nonbelievers try a secular version of that strategy.

“People can have sacred values that aren’t religious values,” he said. “Self-reliance might be a sacred value to you that’s relevant to saving money. Concern for others might be a sacred value that’s relevant to taking time to do volunteer work. You can spend time thinking about what values are sacred to you and making New Year’s resolutions that are consistent with them.”

Of course, it requires some self-control to carry out that exercise — and maybe more effort than it takes to go to church.

“Sacred values come prefabricated for religious believers,” Dr. McCullough said. “The belief that God has preferences for how you behave and the goals you set for yourself has to be the granddaddy of all psychological devices for encouraging people to follow through with their goals. That may help to explain why belief in God has been so persistent through the ages.”

That is very interesting, wip. Thank you for posting it. I was raised in a religion, but really don't feel like going to church. I Believe, but maybe in a more agnostic way.
    I hate church!!! What to do? What do you think?

Comment

Self control is a practice one must work on. Must be willing to change. Some religion, not always, meditation the way one sees fit for them and AA for as long as you can stand it!!! All of these applications sweeten the brain enough to re-train it to think in a positive healthy manner. (no doubt).. it is 'sticking' to it that gives the best results.. all of it helped me tremendously ... i shall return at some point. for now i just need a break.. Good topic wip. :l

Comment

Lila, I am a bit like you in those ways, I think. For me, the take-home messages are: First, that meditation practice is helpful, regardless of beliefs or lack of beliefs. In that way, it is a lot like physical exercise (which I also use); it's a form of brain exercise.

And, second, I need to cultivate my own beliefs, especially my strong conviction that:

Using alcohol (becoming intoxicated) is totally inconsistent with my understanding (or belief) about the sacredness of human life, and it prevents me from being able to engage in the kind of life and work that has ultimate significance (or, again, a "sacred" aspect). It prevents me from reaching my potential, from showing gratitude for the gift of being human, and from helping others.

Going to church, for me, does not promote my own beliefs about those questions or issues. Buddhist practice does, however, promote my beliefs and values; participating in MWO does, as well. At one time, AA participation helped me to get stronger in my beliefs about the value of community in helping people to stop abusing alcohol... there is a strong set of quasi-religious beliefs in AA that are helpful to some (unfortunately, some of their beliefs are very UN-helpful to many, as well... ).

Ripple: I agree!!

Comment

wip i have to say it, you remind me a lot of me,or maybe not,but i think so,but maybe in a smarter version,,thts a compliment,your soul searching for a correct way,no matter what religion you hav it has to fit you,tht is why there is so many different opinions on,religion,who is rt ,who is wrong,the article,only speeks of 2 peoples opinion,lets face it,you can even hav to much faith,the faith you practice ,i do beleive is one of the top ten,i mentioned it b4,i mt not spell it rt,zorotortirism i beleive was number one,middle east,hebrew,latin and greek,jewish people do not beleive christ was the saviour,does tht make them wrong, then it changed ,catholism,look it up,then reformation,tht is where we are now,beleive me you are in a comfort zone,isnt tht what its all about,not being wrong being happy,to the drinking end of it,we ,or i,no when i have had to much,we hav a brain,even an animal knows when theyve had to much,even an aligator will spit out somthing thts not god,but man or women with all there wisdom,has a hard time figuring it out,thnx wip ,i sure am glad yur here,you keep us allon our toes,i love ya kid hav a wonderful new years, gyco

Comment

Thanks Gyco, I'm glad you're here, too! And you have a wonderful '09, too, OK?

Comment

Gyco;506008 wrote: wip i have to say it, you remind me a lot of me,or maybe not,but i think so,but maybe in a smarter version,,thts a compliment,your soul searching for a correct way,no matter what religion you hav it has to fit you,tht is why there is so many different opinions on,religion,who is rt ,who is wrong,the article,only speeks of 2 peoples opinion,lets face it,you can even hav to much faith,the faith you practice ,i do beleive is one of the top ten,i mentioned it b4,i mt not spell it rt,zorotortirism i beleive was number one,middle east,hebrew,latin and greek,jewish people do not beleive christ was the saviour,does tht make them wrong, then it changed ,catholism,look it up,then reformation,tht is where we are now,beleive me you are in a comfort zone,isnt tht what its all about,not being wrong being happy,to the drinking end of it,we ,or i,no when i have had to much,we hav a brain,even an animal knows when theyve had to much,even an aligator will spit out somthing thts not god,but man or women with all there wisdom,has a hard time figuring it out,thnx wip ,i sure am glad yur here,you keep us allon our toes,i love ya kid hav a wonderful new years, gyco
              Gyco, I love the animal, alligator analagy...leave it to nature to find out what is the best way to live.
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

A slight tangent, Wip, but it would be interesting to see some statistics about the most religious/least religious countries in the world and their relative rates of "self-control", measured in alcoholism, obesity, drug use, divorce rates etc. Of course, some of the most religious countries are also some of the poorest so that would be a factor.
                I might try a bit of Googling...
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy
                  I would love to know what you came up with, but yes, there are other factors. Mediterraneans, for example, are supposed to have much lower rates of alcoholism because they have had alcohol for thousands of years, whereas other groups only a few hundred years.
                  Still, any findings, post here!
                  Lila

Comment

WIP, thanks for this. I SO much appreciate your educational and thought-provoking posts, including this one.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

30% 0f Swedes are allergic to fish...
                      Sorry, this isn't about fish, or is it?
                      I have read many interesting articles over the years about food related allergies come from environmental and cultural backgrounds. That seems to make sense that alcohol would be included in that scenario.
                      But if you think back in time (pre refrigeration ) what culture didn't have to rely on fermented drink??
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X